1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/19/19 10:37 p.m.

I looked into building a Locost or a & replica. I talked to the Manager at the local DMV and was told that all replicas and kit cars registered for use in NJ (unless you move here already owning the car) must conform to all current emissions and safety standards. I guess that is why I never see NJ plated Cobras

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
10/19/19 11:09 p.m.

California sitting here in our SB100, wondering what everyone is so upset about. 

Rons
Rons Reader
10/19/19 11:45 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Many years in Sports Compact there was an article about a Northstar V8 swapped into a Rabbit, he ran a wrecking yard in Saskatoon, and he did like to get creative.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/20/19 1:07 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

With all this in mind are there any US based and more importantly US designed kit cars that DON'T look like the donor car or any other historical car?

smiley

Can't seem to find any on the internets.

Factory five gtm

Rcr superlite

Factory five 818 coupe

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/20/19 1:28 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

Factory five 818 coupe

I suddenly have a new goal in life.

That, plus a Subaru EZ engine, and whatever exhaust tomfoolery that Porsche does to make a flat six sound awesome instead of Berettatastic.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/20/19 9:12 a.m.

once again all awesome. Fully aware of their existence I do have the internets but none are fwd.

Until recently most manufacturers made fwd coupes.  Seems strange the kit car industry couldn't bring itself to do the same.

Would seem like an easy button just keeping them fwd and tapping another outlet for the industry given the ubiquity of fwd'rs out there despite the move to bloaty tall things.

indecision

File under just doesn't exist in the States.  What about the UK kit car industry?  They have a few things we have like the Versa/Fiesta/Focus.

Or does everything have to be mid-engined to be interesting?

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
10/20/19 10:06 a.m.

Not FWD but, I am getting ready to offer my "Wildcat" as a kit.  I think that it offers a cool "Chevy" option to the Cobra.  I don't know if there is much of a market for it.  But, I'm hoping to sell a few for something to do in my retirement years.  I've had health issues but am feeling pretty good right now. 

The white body on my driving car is as it came out of the mold. It needs body work and paint. I did the stripe with Duct Tape to see if I like it.  I have a body in Red Gel Coat that has had the seams taken care of and has been sanded and buffed.  It's not show quality but its good enough to use as is.

I'm working on getting a website up and am working on the next frame.  I'm tacking welding it then having a professional welder finish it up. 

I've been driving my car on the roads of upstate NY and in VT.  It is a great driving and handling car.  Having Fun!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/21/19 8:21 a.m.
_ said:

What is the cheapest kit car one can buy? Probably based on an old, hacked out vw pan from the 70's?

Looks like a base Meyers Manx kit would start at $2400.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
10/21/19 9:45 a.m.

GRM built an 818 as a magazine feature/project.  That car was sold on BaT a few years later.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/21/19 9:46 a.m.
jmc14 said:

Not FWD but, I am getting ready to offer my "Wildcat" as a kit.  I think that it offers a cool "Chevy" option to the Cobra.  I don't know if there is much of a market for it.  But, I'm hoping to sell a few for something to do in my retirement years.  I've had health issues but am feeling pretty good right now. 

I think your Wildcat is one of the best looking kits on the market today, and hope you have great success with it.  yes 

I said it once before and will say it again - I think our favorite grassroots motorsports magazine should do an article on this car.  smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/22/19 6:55 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bl03VqSYzgxpczG2HLIErKFB1aREmDa7u9v2Yofwew6DBaNiJlhJD7gXTMh45quX