bigben
bigben Reader
9/12/18 12:17 a.m.

In reference to the following quote from the Challenge rules:
"The Reese Rule: SFI-approved harmonic balancers, SFI-approved flywheels and SFI-approved flex plates are budget-neutral."

When shopping on-line how does one determine if a flywheel meets this rule?  Vendors state things such as: SFI 1.1 approved, SFI 1.1 certified, Meets SFI 1.1, Exceeds SFI 1.1 certification, etc.

On the SFI foundation website it states: "Certification that products meet SFI minimum standards is made by the product manufacturer. Products are NOT certified, endorsed or approved by the SFI Foundation under this Program." and gives a fairly short list of "participating" manufacturers.

So do we just take the vendors word for it when they say it is SFI certified or meets SFI standards?  Even Jegs sells SFI flywheels with their own brand name on them, but they are not listed in the SFI participating manufacturers list. Jegs SFI Flywheels

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/12/18 2:43 a.m.

Jegs doesn’t make them, whom ever they buy them from does though.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/12/18 6:35 a.m.

If you want to go by the letter of the rule it would have to be one from the SFI list. Meets a standard and approved by are different. 

bigben
bigben Reader
9/12/18 2:47 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Exactly my reason for the question. And the water is further muddied by the statement by SFI foundation that "Products are NOT certified, endorsed or approved by the SFI Foundation"

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/12/18 2:53 p.m.

Back when I drag raced, as long as the part had the SFI sticker on it, that was accepted at an NHRA track. The NHRA rulebook will state which of the SFI standards (1.1, etc...) are required in what classes.

SFI language you referred to is legalise, to cover their own backsides. That way if a part fails, it is on the manufacturer and not SFI.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
9/12/18 3:05 p.m.

Yep, as long as it states SFI approved or meets SFI certification or something like that, it's covered.

freetors
freetors Reader
9/12/18 7:40 p.m.

Sfi is a joke.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/12/18 8:19 p.m.
freetors said:

Sfi is a joke.

What, you mean like companies getting their flywheels rejected as "failed test" until they bought advertising space in National Dragster, and then magically the same part (re-submitted with no engineering changes) passes no problem?

Or how about how I will get bellhousings from a Major Supplier with SFI stickers with manufacturing date punches 6 or more months in the future from when I opened the package?

SFI is ok from a liability standpoint but I would make no assumptions about the real safety.

And then there is the rider that any modificaton negates the certification.  That is all well and good, until a certain company's scattershields consistently need to be flycut because they are manufactured poorly and are .010" out of parallel,  Assuming that they managed to get the dowel pin holes in the right place in the first place, which is not a given.  By the letter of the rules, scraping off a heavy layer of powercoat will negate the rating.

bigben
bigben Reader
9/12/18 10:10 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Yep, as long as it states SFI approved or meets SFI certification or something like that, it's covered.

So, the quote below from the vendor mean I'm good, right?

All of GRIP flywheels are made from 4140CHROMOLY-STEEL. GRIP Flywheels are SFI Certified meeting performance standards for the automotive and motorsport industry. 

Benefits of a GRIP RACING 13LBS Light Weight flywheel:

• Light-weight for improved for better performance and Quicker Rev’s.
  • (Aluminum Flywheels) Consist of a replaceable heat shield (friction surface), eliminating need to resurface flywheel.
  • Reduces major turbo “lag” in turbo-charged engines.
  • Increased supercharger efficiency due to less drag on the crank.
  • Professionally CNC machined and balanced.
  • Better AirFlow means lesser chance of burning the clutch
  • CAD designed
  • SFI Certified.
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
9/12/18 10:34 p.m.

Yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d49VDdcbQZC1EUN75fLKqt9lQg8Mw6coNGeO6hCUxrGCuD111Cm2aqhRZnaWVI9f