1 2 3
SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
8/13/15 12:15 p.m.

Inline 6, coupe, cool OE wheels, nice color combo, what's not to like?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/13/15 12:17 p.m.

Buy it and cruise! I'd rather have a boosted 6 than the silly complex 12.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
8/13/15 12:21 p.m.
frenchyd wrote: In reply to erohslc: Well Chevrolet didn't run from the Jaguar six.. They bought it! (and put it in their SUV's) Yup Chevy Trail Blazer, GMC Envoy Olds and Buick also had it although I can't remember the names they used.. It's a wonderfully rugged reliable engine (GM modified out to 4.2 liters) that performs almost as well as the V12 does but gets mid 20's for Fuel mileage rather than the High teens of the V12 The irony is GM bought the engine from Jaguar right from underneath Ford's nose. When Ford heard that Jaguar was for sale and GM was looking at it Ford rushed together a really big bid just as GM walked away with the rights and equipment for this engine..

I have tried to vet this because I thought I had heard it. I could find no link between the GM and Jag engine. Are you sure?

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/13/15 1:07 p.m.

Here's an update, took some pictures for the ad today. Yes, I'm the photographer for the used car dealer, get my car fix by driving and taking photos. Anyway, this one is a beauty, took it for a quick drive. It really cruises great on the highway, is a great GT car. My problem is I would have to sell the Mustang to get the Jag and I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of the 5.0 yet. Drives really well though, no weird noises or clunks, transmission shifts well and brakes are great. Very tempted...need to think about it. Here's the ad: Yes, it is a '93 with 68911km's on the clock.

Jaguar Ad

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/13/15 1:16 p.m.

Cheap Jaguar add the drivetrain of your choice!!!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/13/15 1:37 p.m.

Wait, you're in cobourg? I grew up in cobourg!

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/13/15 1:51 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Wait, you're in cobourg? I grew up in cobourg!

Really? We've lived here about 6 years and Port Hope before that, so technically we've been here 13 years.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/13/15 2:10 p.m.
frenchyd wrote: In reply to Basil Exposition: The overheating and engine fire were likely the same problem. The V12 distributor needs to be periodically oiled.. It takes maybe 30 minutes tops and if not done regularly causes all sorts of problems.. Yes there were electrical issues with Jaguar.. The fix is insanely simple.. tighten up the ground wires.. I swear the people on the assembly line were extremely limp wristed.. Nope nothing about gender preference. The basic engine is extremely stout.. big, (you can take it over 10 liters) heavy duty and if properly maintained capable of extremely great longevity.. The Transmission is A GM turbo 400 used in tow trucks and ambulances (not the whimpy version used in cars) or later it's overdrive version.. Finally Cars of that era, any brand or make, Car-b-ques were common. Reliability was iffy. I had a Blazing Blazer that burned to sheet metal at only 55,000 miles (Chevy V6) and at least once a week I'd see the burn ring of a recent car fire (car-B-que) along side the highway.

The problems were related in the sense that the enormous heat put out by that big motor in a small space fried just about everything around it. The distributor advance mechanism froze up due to the factory lubrication baking into a solid mess. The fire was actually caused by the fuel injection hoses perishing and squirting fuel directly into the distributor.

Pretty much everything plastic or rubber under the hood had a short life. It is true that the motor itself was pretty sturdy.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/13/15 3:36 p.m.
rustysteel wrote:
Really? We've lived here about 6 years and Port Hope before that, so technically we've been here 13 years.

Yeah, my grandma and grandad still live there, along with most of my grandma's relatives. I moved away 10 years ago when I was 6, but Cobourg will always be home for me.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
8/13/15 3:46 p.m.

I've always loved the looks of these cars. To me it's just begging for an air bag suspension and some 3 piece BBS wheels and use it purely as a cruiser.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/13/15 4:00 p.m.

My friend who builds V12's as a hobby says the Jag V12 bottom end is good for 1K HP.

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/13/15 4:29 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
rustysteel wrote:
Yeah, my grandma and grandad still live there, along with most of my grandma's relatives. I moved away 10 years ago when I was 6, but Cobourg will always be home for me.

Small world. Next time you're in town look for my Blue Foxbody Mustang or maybe a Black Jag XJS...

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/14/15 9:02 a.m.
rustysteel wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote:
rustysteel wrote:
Small world. Next time you're in town look for my Blue Foxbody Mustang or maybe a Black Jag XJS...

Will do!

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/14/15 9:27 a.m.

Still on the fence about trading the Mustang. I was going to set the Mustang up for lapping events but the MINI would certainly do the job. Anyway here's a pic of the Mustang and one of the Jag. I know it's my decision but just seeing what the Grassroots crowd has to say.

<a href="DSC_0057">Shaguar <a href="DSC_0237">Mustang

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
8/14/15 9:34 a.m.

Not the notchback!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
8/14/15 9:37 a.m.

Huge Fox fan here... Buy the Jaguar!

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
8/14/15 9:39 a.m.

Go for the Jag. The fox is cool, but will never be as cool as an XJS.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
8/14/15 9:50 a.m.

For for the Jaaaaaaaaaag

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/14/15 2:54 p.m.

Honda's, Mustangs, and a$$-oles... everyone has one......

Get the Jag

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
8/14/15 3:22 p.m.

Dont shoot yourself in the foot, keep the mustang!

I mean unless you really really want a 4k lb 6 cylinder automatic british car

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
8/14/15 3:42 p.m.

Deposit taken....unfortunately not mine, looks like the Jag is going to Montreal. Probably for the best, until the next interesting car shows up and then we will see. Thanks for all the input everyone.

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/14/15 9:52 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill: Yes I followed it as it developed and then bought a GMC Envoy because of it.. You won't find any press releases because it wasn't exactly good news for anybody involved.. Jaguar was unprofitable and obsolete.. The newest engine they had was sold off to GM basically for debt forgiveness.. Ford was upset that that they hadn't bothered doing due diligence prior to making a really big offer on what turned out to be a pretty obsolete company.. They made it because they thought GM was going to walk away with a very historical company. GM who had done Due diligence realized how little was really there and took the engine as debt payment. Ford stuck hundreds of millions into Jaguar and then basically gave it away after modernizing the company.. Tatra wound up with it probably because India has a thing for obsolete British brands. (IMHO)

If you want there should be someplace on the web where you can find bore centers and other engineering details that will confirm it to your satisfaction..

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/14/15 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess: I'll bet even more than that.. Unbelievably massively overbuilt.. The top end is basically an aluminum version SOHC of their earlier DOHC designed during WW2, simple and rugged. The weak link is the distributor which was left in the European style of designed high maintenance.. The difference is on German cars of the era, lube and cleaning was written into the maintenance program where it wasn't even in Jaguar's owner's manual..

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
8/14/15 10:03 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd:

It's funny that you mention Ford selling Jag to TaaTaa (or however it's spelled,LOL). I remember a certain FoMoCo employee that freqents this forum lamenting that Ford was finally making a profit on Jag by selling Ecoboost engines to TaaTaa.

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
8/14/15 11:20 p.m.

In reply to Basil Exposition:

Your distributor froze because only rarely did any maintenance tech bother to read that it was supposed to be regularly serviced.. Even fewer bothered to do it.. When it froze up the timing would be off. Because it was so smooth and had so much torque few drivers felt what was wrong..

Fuel hoses and vacuum hoses of the era failed on every brand and it was normal to see a Car-B-Que on the side of the freeway in the 80's, 90's and well into 2000

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zAxkYV3AV93Va4BHtFaKrcT0Av9H9NVW1WkiSsSMiU6a3vCiVASNc2OPU1Ajbflr