Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/17/20 11:34 p.m.

Tonight, I tackled the decals.

I have always had issues with decals, but tonight, I was super careful and went very slowly as I applied them.

And the result:

I think I'm calling this one done. I know I haven't done some of the details, and I can still go back to that later on (I want to get some paint pens for that) but the decal job came out damn near perfect, and that is a first for me. I'm really happy with how it came out overall. I learned a lot of good lessons building this one that I can bring into the next build.

Speaking of which, I have a pile of unbuilt kits that I need to go through! What's gonna be next? We'll see!

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/18/20 12:55 a.m.

got the decals done this morning. 

Awesome to see the variety of builds here!

I think this is all she wrote for the Subaru. The exhaust is as silver as I can get it and I think a couple touch up paint parts like marker lights once the clear dries some more but the bumpers are too warped to put on and after lowering I think I like it better without. The final fitment was a bear though as the whole body and interior 'bucket' were twisted slight in opposite directions. 

overall will be happy to have it on the desk! Looking forward to another. 

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/18/20 2:26 a.m.

In reply to Kanek :

I don't think I ever knew that there was a BRAT kit in *any* scale. Love it.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project HalfDork
4/18/20 7:23 a.m.
noddaz said:

The bodies are hanging in my garage where I can't see them.

This statement on it's own...

Some fantastic builds in this thread, that's for sure

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/18/20 8:16 a.m.
friedgreencorrado said:

In reply to Kanek :

I don't think I ever knew that there was a BRAT kit in *any* scale. Love it.

Yup, AMT strayed off the map with that one but glad they did.

Hey, they made kits of Pintos when they were new cars. Pintos were never cool in the 1970s.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/18/20 8:40 a.m.

I am far from happy how this turned out, not enough patience and incompatible paint maybe, but here it the Diablo in all its glory.

On a positive note my 12 year old son started building a Mustang kit, he stayed up until 1am with me working on his kit. 

So when does the next one start?  I know I can do better.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/20 9:15 a.m.

Last day fellas and the builds coming in are amazing!

Next one starts tomorrow!

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/18/20 9:45 a.m.

All finished. The decal sheet got wet before the stripes, and dried rolled up. Its shot. But aside from that it came out ok...

I'm back to work full time, so this will be my only entry. 

The rest of the kits look great, guys! Nice work getting the kids involved, too. My daughter was interested for about 10 minutes...

-J0N

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing New Reader
4/18/20 11:06 a.m.
karplus2 said:

I haven't even thought about building a model since...well since I got my driver's license. Someone bought my 6 year old this for Christmas. He got pretty bored pretty fast but helped as much as a 6 year old can and is excited to display it in his bedroom.

Got to start somewhere!  I think it's great to put these together with the kiddos, that way when it comes to the 1:1 cars, they will be more interested possibly.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/20 11:18 a.m.

Im going to try and paint between snow showers.  I was able to find some tamiya spray in the garage I hope it's still good.  

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing New Reader
4/18/20 11:25 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Can we have a "We're not worthy" class? If so, that's where I'm playing. But this got me involved, so thank you, everyone, for this. Fun times. 

This was my first model build since college, so more than a year or so ago. It's a Testors metal model--no paint, no glue. Perfect for me. It's also what I had here on hand. 

You just created one of my Minis less the Minilites!!  Nice!!

​​​​​​​

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/18/20 12:06 p.m.

Will post later this evening. Won't be completed. More representative of much of the build threads on this forum I think. Just not enough time for me.

The decals in the T/A really make that car.

The Mustang tho!

And the Focus? Blown away.

So many great builds here.

David Semon
David Semon New Reader
4/18/20 12:08 p.m.

Happy to join in on the fun. I dug out some old models I stashed away years ago and I built a Lotus Esprit Turbo by Monogram and a Lotus Elan S3 by Gunze Sangyo. I forgot how much I enjoy building models!  smiley

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/18/20 12:28 p.m.

I’m seeing tons of cool models here!  Congrats to everyone who finished something.  I’ll try to get going for the next round.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/20 1:46 p.m.

Last coat of terracotta and decals are down in the interior.

And decals on the exterior as well.

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/18/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

This kit was from the local hobby store and they had a stock error with the Datsun kit so subbed this one instead. 

never even knew Subaru made something like that

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/18/20 3:19 p.m.

Some awesome work going on in this thread!

This is as far as I'm going to get by the deadline. I actually managed to get the masking of the blue area to match the area outlined by the pinstripe decals. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Lots more decals to go.

andyb72
andyb72 New Reader
4/18/20 3:26 p.m.

wow, these kits are looking amazing. 

Finished up the Bronco.  The decals took a lot of patience.  Messed up a few parts but I am happy with it and looks good to me. Will be parked next to the other few I have.

Kit went together well.  The roof is a little warped, not sure it should get filed down one side to help it, but will probably leave it. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/20 7:11 p.m.

It's not perfect but it's done.  I need more practice.

Robert Livingstone
Robert Livingstone
4/18/20 7:41 p.m.

I used to own one of these, so I'll try to build a version like mine.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/18/20 7:54 p.m.

Think I'll join the next one, you guys are impressive!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/18/20 8:22 p.m.

As done as it's gonna get. Two weeks is faster than I'm used to building and I made some mistakes trying to finish it up. Window trim continues to be the bane of my existence. Tamiya paint is awesome though, and the kit itself goes together pretty dang nicely.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/18/20 8:29 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

That paint is HOT. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/18/20 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

It's Tamiya "TS-23 Light Blue" and it's a really good stand-in for Grabber Blue, in my eyes. It lays down smooth too, but requires a smooth surface underneath. I had to use a finer grit of sandpaper to prep the body than I'm used to.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/18/20 8:43 p.m.

Sorry. This was as far as I could get in two weeks. Too much going on with this. I learned too that I should have trimmed the hood before painting since the hood barely fits and I damaged the paint. Looks like I have some repairs ahead of me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8cOfofv4QjgWZ4VrqbOTPxLq7B6H3pyyP5FiCj2mtTZjaKrMtaS2fGubAOgJN20a