vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/18/20 8:46 p.m.

Maybe I'll have it done for the next one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/18/20 9:06 p.m.

Here's as far as I made it. Not sure if I'll finish it. I'd like to, but the hardest part is yet to come. Thanks for getting me going on something I used to love doing when I was a kid. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/18/20 10:33 p.m.

Fin!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/18/20 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Wow, great job! That color really works well.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
4/19/20 1:53 a.m.

Nice Miura, jav, and that notch is sexy!

-J0N

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/19/20 5:22 a.m.

That turned out great, Javelin!

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/19/20 7:47 a.m.

Yep! Love the miura.

also, many thanks to Javelin to get that thing going in the first place, was fun to get back to my bench for a little fun!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/19/20 7:51 a.m.

In reply to Jeff Mosing :

Ha, that's awesome. Pretty sure I got this kit when we had our Innocenti Mini. Glad to finally get it together. 

David S. Wallens
4/19/20 7:52 a.m.

These builds are stunning. Thank you, Javelin, for kicking this off. 

4/19/20 8:38 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

You're welcome! Happy to host another one, too.

But first I need to collate everyone's done photos into one thread or post and pick a winner for the free kit. I have to say though that everyone that participated won in my eyes. Hearing so many stories about picking the hobby back up after years or decades, getting kids involved, and learning new skills were really inspiring to me. You all rock! Thank you for building with me!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Put the win in one post on this thread. I will start another thread for May 2nd finish and donate a kit. I have over 100 to choose from.

4/19/20 9:47 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks for picking up the lead on the next one!

David S. Wallens
4/19/20 10:10 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thank you, TurnerX19. Very generous of you. 

The big question: Do I have another no-glue, no-paint kit here in my office? 

David S. Wallens
4/19/20 10:11 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

You're welcome! Happy to host another one, too.

But first I need to collate everyone's done photos into one thread or post and pick a winner for the free kit. I have to say though that everyone that participated won in my eyes. Hearing so many stories about picking the hobby back up after years or decades, getting kids involved, and learning new skills were really inspiring to me. You all rock! Thank you for building with me!

Yes, definately. This was like one of those couch-to-5K races. 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
4/19/20 10:28 a.m.

Awesome stuff, guys!  My favorites are the blue Porsche, the dirty Rally Focus, and the green Miura.  Very cool, makes me wish I didn't sell the old Datsun 510 kit that I had.  I've only done a couple model kits in my whole life, but this makes me want to do one with my son!  Been off work for 2 weeks, but I go back on Monday.  Maybe I'll have to try to do one if you guys do a round 2 of this.

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/19/20 10:35 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4 :

Thanks for the good comment on the blue Porsche (mine) and all other's, really appreciated....

round two is already started, there's new tread for it...

4/19/20 11:14 a.m.

FINAL ENTRY PHOTOS!

Benswen's Chevrolet Aerovette:

karplus2's Shelby GT-350:

TurnerX19's Sunbeam Tiger:

Trazdad's Mazda RX-7:

Yelo's Porsche 911 (and Cozy Coupe):

carczar_84's Focus WRC:

Daeldalus's Ferrari Testarossa:

buzzboy's Ferrari F189:

David S. Wallens' Mini Cooper:

Tony Sestito's Pontiac Firebird Trans Am:

Kanek's Subaru Brat:

Aaron_King's Lamborghini Diablo:

jmthunderbirdturbo's Shelby GT-500:

andyb72's Ford Bronco:

Wally's Plymouth 'Cuda:

slowbird's Ford Mustang:

Javelin's Lamborghini Miura:

David Semon's Lotus Elan:

BenB's Mazda 767B:

vwcorvette's Chevrolet Corvette:

Mazdax605's Mitsubishi Delica:

Jeff Mosing's Ford Gran Torino:

ddavidv's Ford Mustang Boss 302:

Congratulations to everyone!

The quality of builds, the breadth of the subjects, and the passing of knowledge were all amazing to watch over the last two weeks. I thank you all! 

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/19/20 11:25 a.m.

Did my pics not show up?  Left out my Aerovette:

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing New Reader
4/19/20 11:39 a.m.

Welp, this one will have to compete in the 'WIP' division.  Didn't get it done, started to rush it and things went south so will shelve it to complete later.  I did learn a bunch that I can apply to the next one.  I actually decided not to sand and clear it as it looks more realistic in the Satin Red finish.  Lots of great finishes here.  Hope to catch wind of the next build off car show ;)

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/19/20 12:20 p.m.
Jeff Mosing said:

Welp, this one will have to compete in the 'WIP' division.  Didn't get it done, started to rush it and things went south so will shelve it to complete later.  I did learn a bunch that I can apply to the next one.  I actually decided not to sand and clear it as it looks more realistic in the Satin Red finish.  Lots of great finishes here.  Hope to catch wind of the next build off car show ;)

"The red tomatah."

4/19/20 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Benswen :

Unintentional oopsie! 

4/19/20 1:03 p.m.

Updated! Let me know if I missed any others. I want to make sure I have everyone before I draw a name.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/19/20 4:41 p.m.

There's a lot of nice models built on short notice. I never thought purple would work on a Testarossa but it really does, and the blue notchback is really eye catching as well. 

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/19/20 6:02 p.m.

This thread made me happy.  Thank you to everyone that built and photographed.  Just seeing a reference to Autoworld brought me back to my early 80's youth.

4/19/20 9:28 p.m.

Okay by my count there were 23 entries (including me) and I don't own a D22 (the horror!) so I am using some random number generator I gizoogled...

...and it spit out #10, which is (checks post) Tony Sestito! Congratulations and please PM me your address so I can send you a shiny new AMT 1972 Corvette Roadster!

I decided with so many entries I would roll again and got...

16, which is slowbird! You are getting a Revell 1990 Mercury Cougar XR-7.

With the amount of interest in this build challenge, I decide to dig deeper into my stash and find a few more kits to let go. Mazdax605, your perseverance in the face of that challenging Delica has been a great inspiration and I am going to send you a Revell Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with glue, paint, and brush. Which reminds me, David S. Wallens is getting one as well because you need to try plastic and building the metal mini anyway in the spirit of the build was cool.

If the four of you could please email me your addresses, I will get these right out! (Also if you'd rather a different kit, let me know. I have a 65 Mustang fastback, 57 Chevy Bel Air, and a 69 Cougar Eliminator available).

I wish I could send all of you a kit as a gratitude for doing this challenge with me. It has been inspiring and really helped me get through the last two weeks. I hoped it helped you as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DFuPEyM7reN92dTFRhUd0V6ZSE1UFfjn81F07D2B1wluQL3ctPE7ob2uZKcGQdQ5