Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/20 8:01 p.m.

The paint job turned out great. 

Then I dropped it.

On concrete.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/8/20 8:19 p.m.

More WIP on Tiger. Seriously the best part of the kit is the instrument panel. The gauges are a single chrome piece that installs from behind.

Engine and radiator with parts box electric fan.

Kit exhaust was nearly useless. they put it below the frame X. Pipes pass through the X to make the rust trap on real car. Kit mufflers shortened, bent solder tail pipes.

Paint shows I hustled it, but it is a model of how I would have a road warrior Tiger, so good enough, far better than my 1/1 scale Fiatcheeky

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
4/8/20 9:47 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I'm loving your Tiger build!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/8/20 10:05 p.m.

Tried to paint the interior panels by hand. It'll be easy, there's a seam to follow, I thought.

berkeley E36 M3 ass balls. Smudged it.

4/8/20 10:47 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Q-tip with a tiny bit of thinner will get that right off. Don't go crazy!

andyb72
andyb72 New Reader
4/9/20 9:11 a.m.

So with having some extra spare time like everyone else, I started this last weekend.  A couple days early but I think that is ok.  It has been a while since I have done a kit, usually only do a couple year.  Maybe I'll get to do 4 or more this year at this rate.

Here is the kit I am doing:

I am using paint pens for most of the painting besides the flat black on the floor pan and the body. 

Current status as of a couple days ago:

The body is getting paints a John Deere green, trying to use up the cans of paint I have on the shelf.  Going to try and start on the decals on the body tonight.  Looking forward to final assembly and seeing it all together.

I am really enjoying watching every ones builds.  Nice to see and learn some more tips and tricks. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/9/20 9:38 a.m.

In reply to andyb72 :

I love the oil filter decal.

4/9/20 10:40 a.m.

In reply to andyb72 :

That Bronco is looking great!

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
4/9/20 11:07 a.m.

That Bronco might be the best Revell kit I've ever built. I was impressed with it!

andyb72
andyb72 New Reader
4/9/20 11:24 a.m.

I have been enjoying it.  The only issue is the top is slightly warped so it may sit a little funky once finished, or I may glue it on. 

And decals are horrible.  So frustrating for me to do, don't know how anyone does them and not get frustrated.

I tried an AMT Camaro kit last year and it didn't really fit together to well, so have been doing Revell kits since they seem to go together well. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/9/20 12:15 p.m.

I've begun. Not going well. I can't see E36 M3. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/9/20 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Looks good to me!

If all else fails, take real blurry pictures of it and blame it on your phone's camera not focusing right. That's my plan. laugh

In my kit, everything seems nice except for these cheap awful-looking tiny narrow tires. Who greenlit these? They look like they belong on a 4-cylinder base model.

So, off I go to the parts bin. I don't have anything real good, but these old Goodyears will have to do. At least they're wider. I'll sand the tread down a bit to make them look like they aren't overinflated.

And well, the 10-hole wheels are cool, but they won't fit these tires. Not to worry, I apparently bought these resin Pony wheels at some point and forgot about them. They'll just about fit, and look good to boot.

Gotta stay motivated to make progress. The interior flub has been fixed, but there's still a lot of work to do on that front. Gotta start assembling the suspension too. Can't find a paint color for the body that I like. A builder's work is never done...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/9/20 1:41 p.m.

When I was 30 I said if I could not see it with the naked eye I didn't need to include it in the model. Now at 68 have a lighted magnifying glass on a stand. Been using it almost 20 yearscrying

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/9/20 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Looks great! 

For years, I've done what slowbird suggests and have depended on my poor photography skills to hide the flaws in my models. laugh  The main thing is to have fun with it.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/9/20 2:25 p.m.

If I can carve out some time to do this (day job has been super busy and doing countless house projects), I may get in on this. I have a ton of unbuilt kits that I've been amassing for years. 78% of them are 2nd Gen Trans Ams, but that's ok, right? laugh

Also, I really suck at building these. I always screw up the paint on the body. We'll see if I can get that right this time around.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/9/20 2:35 p.m.

I'm planning on turning the Model A into a lakes roadster, so if I run short on time, I can leave things like the engine out, since it won't be visible.  My build is not going to be anywhere near as impressive as I what I'm seeing on here.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/9/20 3:35 p.m.

So much awesomeness here. Love the progress, love the creativity. 

As for me, well, um, yeah.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
4/9/20 3:47 p.m.

Are we going to score the models and have a 'winner'? If so, based on what criteria? 

Also, my kit should be in tomorrow. It is a testarossa. The question is, should i paint it ferrari red, ferrari yellow, or some wild off the wall color? Or go off the deep end and attempt the testarossa group B rally livery?

4/9/20 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Daeldalus :

Testarossa's should only exist in Miami Vice White.

Also, I am going to draw a name out of a hat for the "winner" that gets a kit from me, but I am open to the idea of more than one person being recognized for their awesomeness in participating.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/9/20 4:31 p.m.

I think we should make the magazine staff each pick their favorite. cheeky

Jeff Mosing
Jeff Mosing None
4/9/20 4:37 p.m.

In reply to andyb72 :

Great pics!  What were you using to get in so tight?

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EllzsABX5VZosdJ3Isw2njTgNlv6dHR03rBDXGEy0e7dAfSb5StXebfhRGf2SK37