1 2 3 4
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/3/20 4:47 p.m.

Took a 25mm casing from a round fired while I was deployed, turned it sideways and stuck a threaded rod in it to turn it into a T-handle.  I need to find a projectile to put in it so it looks like a complete round

Trent
Trent PowerDork
12/3/20 4:49 p.m.

I'm actually quite fond of the dainty tiny knobs that 60's French cars have. It forces my mind into being less forceful and more precise with the gear lever. 

This random 65 Maserati knob in my toolbox has a similar feel

NickD said:

I have a Nardi shift knob out of an M Edition Miata in my '90 Miata. Everyone trash talks this shift knob for some reason but I like it. 

I've goth this same knob in the new to me Miata. I thought it looked wrong, hut in the 40ish miles I've put on it, it feels surprisingly good.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
12/3/20 5:20 p.m.

I echo TurnerX19's statement about the TD knob (or MGA/early B).  Though I typically make them out of aluminium: 

OEM bakelite for the Eleven

Aluminium for the RX8 'box going into the MGB GT

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/3/20 5:34 p.m.

I like my e36 with the UUC short shift kit and this TRM 5" tall knob. Crisp throws but enough length I can tell what gear it's in. I love how my hand falls to the knob from the wheel.

After grabbing a bunch of knobs at Summit in Reno I picked up a Hurst T-handle for my XJ. Very ergonomic, although a bit cold on a crisp Tahoe winter morning.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
12/3/20 5:35 p.m.

I had a '76 BMW 530i in the late 90's.  I liked the wood shift knob so much that I kept when I sold the car and put it into my 250.  It is still there to this day.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/3/20 5:43 p.m.

I had a wood one in my fj40 that i was really fond of. I liked the trd japan one for the 86 (frisbee). I hated all the metal ones, too hot/cold, nice feedback though, so wood leather or carbon are all good in my book. Has to match the soul of the car. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/3/20 6:37 p.m.

I'm enjoying the delrin one from FM in my NB. Nice feel and looks good with the redline shift boot. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/3/20 7:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Momo Super Anatomico. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
12/3/20 7:02 p.m.

Flyin' Miata weighted Delrin shift knob

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/3/20 7:05 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

I have come close to buying one of these a couple of times, I need to find dimensions for the shift knob in my 9-3, but they look super cool.  The guy makes them from old skateboards.

https://builtbybasil.com/

Dude, I came here to post this guys work. I follow him on IG, his stuff is gorgeous. I swear one day I may buy a car just to put one of his knobs in it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/3/20 9:03 p.m.

I really liked this delrin knob I had on my Mazda 3:

Perfect shape, weight, and feel. I was super bummed that it didn't fit my new Kia. In fact, nothing fits the Kia; the shifter shaft isn't threaded so it takes a proprietary Hyundai/Kia setup that nothing on the aftermarket works with. Lame. sad

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/3/20 9:13 p.m.

Anything but a metal one. Had a metal knob in my 07 Fit and hated it. It was the right temperature for about two months out of the year.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/3/20 9:18 p.m.

Old school Fat Knobs. 2.25" sphere of some kind of plastic/resin. They were available in white or black only.
I bought a white one bitd which has a very nice patina at this point. It gets moved into whatever car/truck and just makes everything feel right.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
12/3/20 9:41 p.m.

I'd rank delrin first, wood second.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
12/3/20 9:46 p.m.

This guy does some really nice stuff.  I'm trying to decide what I want for my car.

Knobs

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
12/3/20 9:47 p.m.

My old 73 VW had a rather nice wood shift knob with a stamped Wolfsburg emblem on top.

Always liked that. This thread made me think about the 73 VW outside and I wanted to keep the knob so I went out to see if it was the same. No dice. Cheap plastic replacement. Bummer. 
I did like the leather shifter in my '18 Fit. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/3/20 9:48 p.m.

I like snooker balls... ~2", just the right weight.  Easy to drill and tap, and cheap...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/20 10:29 p.m.

The Spit 6 I had years ago had a knob the previous owner had made out of an 8 ball, with a switch embedded into it for the overdrive.  I was never fond of that o/d switch - especially since getting my current Spitfire that has the OE knob and switch - but the knob was neat.  However, I recently acquired a wood rim wheel for that car and a matching wood knob would be nice - if I can figure out an o/d switch that is acceptable to me (or I say eff-it and install a T-9...).

Otherwise, I'm really not that picky about it.  I wouldn't mind a JCW knob for my R53, but the stock "ball" knob doesn't bother me.

If I ever get another Mopar with a manual transmission, it'll get a classic pistol grip shifter. Just because.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
12/3/20 10:45 p.m.

Anything not attached to a short shifter.

CAinCA
CAinCA Reader
12/3/20 11:11 p.m.

The boy bought one of these Mishimoto Delrin weighted knobs for his Mazda 3. The adapter didn't let it sit low enough to match up to the boot. I turned a new adapter and it fits perfectly now.

It feels really good in my hand. The weight is really nice too. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/4/20 12:16 a.m.

85-ish thunderbird turbo coupe. Not the nasty rubber/plastic ones found in mustangs. Leather good size ergonomics  are good.

Aftermarket: I like this.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
12/4/20 12:56 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Torque Solutions Delrin? I had one in my speed3. I kept it when I sold the car

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
12/4/20 1:15 a.m.

I'm partial to really cheesy ones from ebay. laugh

I have a glow in the dark blue one (it's not actually this bright):

And in another car I have this sweet green one:

I'll need a purple one someday if I ever manual swap my Cougar.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/4/20 10:48 a.m.

I like simple round leather or plastic. Hate the "nub" style on the S197 Mustang and the Miata. Good thing they are easy to change.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BLU5d7uurFv29AXYFra8ie7zKkue97VFcYAhfshjQJN3CYwq8La9ZYFDqXqVyhDT