2 3 4
wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/10/20 12:36 p.m.

GM did an unfortunate thing with some of their cars - they made the knob and top shifter one piece so that you can't fit an after market knob unless you can find a replacement upper lever. Is this common on many other cars - are they making them non-removable?

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
12/10/20 12:50 p.m.

Momo cobra used to be my fav, I took it off and on quite a few cars over the years.  Not real picky anymore

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/10/20 1:01 p.m.

I do not like metal knobs (too hot or cold), and if the knob is leather it needs to be made in a way that the stitching doesn't seem to rub my hands.

I suspect if I'd held onto the Ranger, I'd have replaced the somewhat icky rubber Ford knob with a drilled and tapped pool ball.  Given it had the 2.3 motor in there, I might have gone with a 4 ball instead of an 8.

Currently, the only cars in the fleet are automatics or DSGs, so I'm not really on the hunt for a new shift knob.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
12/10/20 1:08 p.m.

I like 'em tall

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/10/20 1:55 p.m.

Lightbulb shaped, smooth and heavy. The one currently residing in the MS3 is 638g of stainless steel.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
12/10/20 7:28 p.m.
wspohn said:

GM did an unfortunate thing with some of their cars - they made the knob and top shifter one piece so that you can't fit an after market knob unless you can find a replacement upper lever. Is this common on many other cars - are they making them non-removable?

Pretty much.  Seems the Acura knobs are pushed onto the shifter and lock in place.  For the few cars that have had 3 pedals in the last 10 years.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
12/10/20 9:54 p.m.

In reply to The0retical (Forum Supporter) :

I always hated the heavy feeling of the shifter. When I had mine I replaced the weighted stock knob with a delrin one and cut 2/3 of the weight off on the transmission side. I can't say it was better, but it was faster. 

burgermeister
burgermeister New Reader
6/6/21 8:46 a.m.

I am a big fan of wood knobs, non-weighted, and about 2" diameter.

A current iteration...

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IFNToVFJNOZl8a6ob6xZzdBR3BJFfUvJZKryW9dxZeVfRsFZX70QJu5o0NNqNBeD