wndrllama103
wndrllama103 New Reader
12/3/19 9:08 p.m.

Hi everyone,

I recently swapped my mid-engine 1.8t powered mk1 rabbit with a 2.7t single turbo (pt5858). When I finally got it on the road, I realized the 012 was starting to whine more and more. This made me think about swapping it out with an 01E, especially since I'm thinking about painting it this winter and I'll need to do some cutting to make this thing fit (it's probably ... 4" longer, and I have about 0.5")

I'm currently running a gen-1 MR2 shifter and a 100% custom push/pull setup. It works well, but obviously won't work with the 01E.

I know many people have used these in mid-engine swaps... what does everyone use for shift linkage?

Are there any off the shelf products I can use?
Can I reuse my shifter?
Porsche shift cables? Is there something cheaper?

Thanks for any help or info!

wndrllama103
wndrllama103 New Reader
12/3/19 9:39 p.m.

Also, where can I find long push/pull cables?

The ones I currently have are from mcmastercarr, and they're definitely not long enough.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/3/19 9:42 p.m.

You could try boating places. I've seen long cables to connect the controls to outboard engines.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/3/19 10:06 p.m.

I’m adapting Boxster cables to the 01X I’m putting behind the SBC in my Corvair.  Those cables are pretty long.

google “01X cable shift” and you’ll know as much as I do.  ;-)

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
12/3/19 11:06 p.m.

Why wouldn't the current shifter solution work? The shifter doesn't care about the pattern, only the transaxle dictates that.  Unless there is a ton more throw needed or a reverse lockout to work around, I don't see where it would be an issue.

Hook the cables up where they need to be to match the fore/aft and lateral movements, ensure there is appropriate throw/effort and you're done.  Otherwise, adjust pivot points to get the throw/effort where you want it.

If you need longer/different cables then the outboard control cables are a great idea and are available in different lengths.

wndrllama103
wndrllama103 New Reader
12/4/19 7:51 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

In the OEM solution (Audi A6) the shift box is connected behind the transaxle with hard pipes. In my mid-engine setup, the shifter is infront of the transaxle.

I've already fabricated a shift linkage for my 012 transaxle, and that's been working awesome. It just seems like there could be some plug-n-play solutions out there for the 01E, since it's so popular. But you're right... it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm more annoyed that I built my car with the 012 not realizing how weak it was :(

wndrllama103
wndrllama103 New Reader
12/4/19 7:56 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

That sounds like a decent lower-cost option. Good idea.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z5UV4NiqMhci52kSNCWJh5Epr8cNj9A8F7aKZhDVUQtFCg7rDLMM6RAc4hcVJMu4