1 2
rickjames
rickjames New Reader
4/21/22 3:24 p.m.

Has anyone shipped cars in a container along with household goods?  We're moving overseas and I have two running (but not inspected/roadworthy) cars that I want to take.  We could fit all of our household items in a 20FT container, but it seemed to make sense to get one 40FT and put both cars in there along with our stuff.  This is proving to be more complex than planned. 

The cars need to be bumper-to-bumper (I'd wanted to see if I could use a trans-rack system to stack them). This means that I'd need to build a platform over the cars to store our stuff.  This is made all the more complex by the fact the shippers give you just one hour to load, and will charge $100 for every extra hour.  So, loading two cars, building a platform, then loading household stuff, that's going to be expensive and exhausting.  Plus, it seems like customs may need to come in and check the VINs which would be tricky if there were platforms over the cars.  

Anyone here done something similar?  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/21/22 4:08 p.m.

My parents considered it way back when but decided that it didn't make sense, even with cars at the destination being madly expensive. I've seen what are essentially giant custom-made full-vehicle-footprint roof racks being used to pack stuff in above rally cars being shipped in containers.

One thing to consider is the availability of replacement parts where you're going, I've seen Volvos imported to Caribbean countries with zero dealership support or local parts availability for example. Also consider that wrong-hand-drive cars would be a huge PITA on the street.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
4/21/22 4:37 p.m.

How do the GIs do it when they get  sent to another post across the world ?

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
4/21/22 4:46 p.m.

Have you considered the inverse...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/21/22 5:44 p.m.

Also, make sure you know if the container will be set down on the ground at the other end. Because if it ends up staying on the truck you get to Dukes of Hazzard the cars out of the container or find someone with a rollback to help you get them out if the height is not too divergent.

I had to unload my motorcycle collection from a container sitting on an 18 wheeler, and fun it wasn't even though I had built a ramp for this endeavour.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
4/21/22 6:39 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Their employer owns very large aircraft and can transport their goods for them :)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/21/22 8:33 p.m.
rickjames said:

We're moving overseas and I have two running (but not inspected/roadworthy) cars that I want to take. 

I don't know where  you're going, but personally I'd have think a while about bringing non-roadworthy cars on a move to another country.  Will you have space and time to work on them / will you be able to get parts / what are the requirements there for inspecting and titling cars / can you get insurance for cars that are off the road / etc.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/21/22 8:48 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I'm there with Stuart. That would have to be a pretty exceptional automobile before I would have any interest in transporting it internationally. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/22 10:18 p.m.
JThw8 said:

Their employer owns very large aircraft and can transport their goods for them :)

They just pay to have one vehicle shipped on a commercial car carrier. The military itself doesn't generally move servicemembers' vehicles or household goods. Moving something via military transport probably costs 10x more than just using commercial. They use the same kinds of ships your new cars come from the factory in. When we went overseas dad sometimes brought a car, but more often we'd just buy the one owned by whatever officer he was replacing. Our Lancia in Italy had previously been owned by 4 other (US) Navy Captains, lol. And when we left, it was sold to some incoming officer. 

Car carrier as special ship - How does it work?

exception: When  Navy aircraft carriers based in Hawaii head back to the west coast for long-term overhaul or changing homeports, they often put all the crew's cars aboard and take them to San Diego with the ship (since the aircraft usually stay in Hawaii and go aboard whatever carrier is replacing them, or just fly home). 

Loaded with cars, moving to new Navy Base, USS Carl Vinson, CVN-70 Images,  Photography, Stock Pictures, Archives, Fine Art Prints

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/22 10:24 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

I'm there with Stuart. That would have to be a pretty exceptional automobile before I would have any interest in transporting it internationally. 

This, and most other countries have their own requirements. For instance, my coworker a few years ago took her G35 to London with her. Apart from the annoyance of it being LHD, she had to have the taillights re-wired and the bulbs changed since UK has differnet color turn signals, etc.  She also had to add a rear fog light, and a few other small things.

If the car is older or not stock, you may also have trouble actually registering it in the foreign country or passing inspection. A lot of countries have WAY more stringent safety inspections than we do in the US, especially in western Europe. 

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/22/22 9:33 a.m.

I recently imported a trailer to Australia from the US with the rest of my household stuff. Being a trailer it is pretty universal, just lights to consider rather than LHD v RHD and design rules. If it was a car I'd have sold it in the US.

rickjames
rickjames New Reader
4/22/22 10:03 a.m.

Wow - I got busy yesterday and came back to a lot of comments - thanks all!

Replies:

1. So, I have considered lifting the cars and placing the stuff under, I'm just not sure how I'd do it safely. I'd envisioned buying 4 'jeep jacks' and building something out of 4x4s to raise the cars, then replacing the jacks with 4x4s when the cars were at the right height.  I guess this could work, but I'd be nervous about it. Building the platform seemed more straightforward.  Also, knowing that there is a $100/hr clock ticking, I didn't want to plan to lift the cars only to find there was something I didn't count on.  

2. I'm moving to France and from a few people I've talked to, I feel I should be able to get them registered. It might be trickier than the average car, but should be doable. 

3. As for loading/unloading, the recommended way is to have a flatbed towtruck come to the loading site to load the car. No need to 'Duke Jump', but it would be fun. 

4. Will I have time and space to work on them? Time - well, who knows, there's never enough hours in the day.  Space - yes, I am going from a 1-car garage to an 11-car garage. https://photos.app.goo.gl/eQSXAjEK9BWkEc2J7

So I'm now leaning towards just selling one of the cars.  That will make things way easier, I load half the goods in one side of the container, and the car in the other half.  No platform, no lift, just easier. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
4/22/22 10:14 a.m.

Definitely sell at least one, there are so many other cool cars in Europe that we never see in the states. It will be a better adventure.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
4/22/22 10:20 a.m.

If the cars are running, couldn't you just trailer them to the nearest port and ship them via RO-RO?

rickjames
rickjames New Reader
4/22/22 12:09 p.m.

>>If the cars are running, couldn't you just trailer them to the nearest port and ship them via RO-RO?

This isn't a bad idea. My hesitation with this idea is that moving them around requires intimate knowledge of all the idiosyncrasies that have yet to be worked out.  Similar to this which really hit home: https://www.hagerty.com/media/advice/a-few-things-to-know-before-you-steal-my-914/

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/22/22 1:19 p.m.
JThw8 said:

The guys I have talked to who shifted from base to base said they would have cars they would buy for a token amount then sell when they got deployed elsewhere.  Sort of like a long term rental that you are responsible for.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
4/22/22 1:56 p.m.

Pretty cool new space!

What car are you trying to take with?

rickjames
rickjames New Reader
4/22/22 2:42 p.m.

>>What car are you trying to take with?

One is a 67 Camaro with a Lexus drivetrain.

The other (likely to get the chop) is a Ferrari Dino tribute car I have been building over the past 5 years.  Its dear to my heart, but likely not worth much to anyone else. 

I also have (and am taking) a 67 Volvo P1800, but that is all stock and I drive it daily - in fact, it's been in year-round service for 55 years. I have no issue driving it to port and doing RO-RO.  She's a runner.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
4/22/22 3:53 p.m.

Given the need to stack and the speed with which you need to get it done, what about a rolling upper deck?  You mention the $100/hr over cost, but when does that clock start?  I'm thinking you measure out the height and width of the car and of the container.  Does it have a ramp or will you need to build one for the lip from the ground to container?  Either pre-build and take in pieces when you drop off or build it onsite and have it ready to go when the load clock starts.  Build the deck with some heavy duty casters on the bottom of the uprights.  Depending on weight, you might be able to get it mostly packed and just push it in.  Or use a manual winch puller to pull it in?  Roll in the car and then roll the upper deck in above it.

If you're only taking one car now, you could load up the back of the container and then only need an upper deck that's the length of the car.  Might make it easier/faster/lighter to load.  I'm sure you will, but make sure to park the car facing the back of the container to make it easier for any inspectors to see the VIN.

-Rob

rickjames
rickjames New Reader
4/22/22 4:47 p.m.

>>If you're only taking one car now, you could load up the back of the container and then only need an upper deck that's the length of the car.  Might make it easier/faster/lighter to load.  I'm sure you will, but make sure to park the car facing the back of the container to make it easier for any inspectors to see the VIN.

Yeah, that's another issue.   The VIN tag is on the door frame.  https://ibb.co/tMrJ47c

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/29/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to rickjames :

I'm not up to speed on French registration laws, but keep in mind that in general, laws in Europe (and thus France) are much more stringent when it comes to modifications than they are in the US. I'd try to research as much as possible to see if it's even possible to register either of these vehicles for road use in France before stuffing them into a container, and if the potentially necessary modifications are worth it to you compared to putting them in storage over here (assuming that you're going for a finite amount of time).

Not trying to play Debbie Downer here,  but the US has amongst the most lax laws on modifications in the Western Hemisphere IME, and stuff that is perfectly legal here often doesn't translate that well to Western Europe. Back before BrexE36 M3, it might have been easier to register the Camaro in the UK to take advantage of their laxer laws on mods (even though it likely would have to go through SVA there) and then try to get it into France as a vehicle that's been registered in another EU state prior, but of course that avenue is closed now. France is kinda between the UK on one end and Germany on the other end when it comes to modifications, and in Germany I can pretty much guarantee you would've had to work with a TÜV engineer from the beginning for the drivetrain swap on the Camaro. Maybe it's easier in France, but I would not rely on it and do my own research first.

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
4/29/22 11:06 a.m.

I know a couple of people that shipped cars from the USA to Germany. One guy shipped a Ford Focus and a Chrysler Sebring convertible. As the Sebring was not sold in Europe, it was quite straightforward to register and get the TuV inspections. The Focus was obviously sold in Europe and he had to mess about changing lights etc before be got the TuV approvals.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/29/22 1:00 p.m.

In reply to glyn ellis :

I assume both were not modified, though? At least in Germany, they really like to see E marks on the lights, although that might not be quite as much of an issue with classic vehicles. But changing lights, possibly changing tires and wheels if the latter are missing appropriate conformance marks, is not that unusual.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/23/23 11:27 a.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

Have you considered the inverse...

I don't see any lateral support in that. One good bump or even swinging it on or off a ship will have that car resting on what ever is under it.  

LionPride
LionPride New Reader
2/24/23 10:10 a.m.

Many times they sell them.  Most military bases have a "Lemon Lot"  where the PCSing try to dispose of surplus vehicles.  I've picked up deals there.  It used to be a thing to take European delivery of your BMW while stationed in Germany saving something like 10 or 15 percent and have Uncle Sam ship it home for you.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6NZ3M5cwKxzya5eqtYhV00X86W1FJGrc82MVcciV6zc8hyhu6nmRBJDyrWmWNzaW