1 2 3
EvanB
EvanB Reader
10/11/09 1:08 p.m.

I have been looking around at Jag XJS V12s (2010 Challenge maybe?) and came across the Lynx Eventer, a shooting brake conversion of the XJS. I want one

Post more pics of shooting brakes...or for the most awesome of awesome, shooting brakes with box flares.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/11/09 1:47 p.m.

Where's the line between a shooting brake and a fastback? Seems like it might be a little vague. It could be argued that the Volvo P1800 ES was a factory shooting brake.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
10/11/09 1:53 p.m.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/11/09 1:58 p.m.

I would call the Z3 coupe/M coupe a shooting brake.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
10/11/09 2:27 p.m.
mtn wrote: I would call the Z3 coupe/M coupe a shooting brake.

Not sure I can go there - no back seat. Shooting brake should have a backseat for the kids...or retriever...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/11/09 2:38 p.m.

The Cayman hoax:

Will
Will Reader
10/11/09 2:52 p.m.

The Ferrari Daytona wagon looks like the love child of a Lotus Europa and an El Camino with a camper shell.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
10/11/09 2:52 p.m.

Not sure how this happened, but it looks like it's got a longer wheelbase, too.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
10/11/09 3:04 p.m.
Will said: The Ferrari Daytona wagon looks like the love child of a Lotus Europa and an El Camino with a camper shell.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Gremlin or Pacer.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel New Reader
10/11/09 3:19 p.m.

I believe the Sultan of Brunei and his brother commissioned some unexpectedly good-looking Ferrari wagons that fit into this discussion.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/11/09 3:20 p.m.
Keith wrote: Where's the line between a shooting brake and a fastback? Seems like it might be a little vague. It could be argued that the Volvo P1800 ES was a factory shooting brake.

Fastback has a sloped roof that meets the body line, but not at such an angle as a sedan would have. I would say that Volvo is the definition of a shooting brake.

This to me is a fastback:

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/11/09 3:30 p.m.

see... I see that as a coupe'

I see fast backs as having the roof continue down to the end of the car's lines in a low slope. many hatchbacks could be considered fastbacks..

the VW golf is a hatchback, but not a fastback the Scirrocco and Corrado are fastbacks.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/11/09 3:47 p.m.

Hrm, I'd call the Golf a Kammback.

A foxbody Mustang GT would be both a fastback and a hatchback. (And Toyota would call it a "Liftback")

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/11/09 4:45 p.m.

Looking at the picture of the Volvo again, I'm gonna change my statement to "the Volvo P1800 ES is a factory shooting brake". Even before reading the Reverend's description.

I'm guessing this is too sloped to be a shooting brake.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
10/11/09 6:09 p.m.

coupe = 2 doors, quarter windows, with or without B pillar, roof line ends at the rear quarters with a defined trunk.

Fastback = 2 doors, quarter windows with or without B pillar, roof line fades smoothly into rear of the car.

2 door hardtop = 2 doors, quarter windows, no B pillar

2 door sedan = 2 doors, quarter windows with B pillar.

Modern styling departments have forgotten about or haven't bothered to learn the differences.

Shawn

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel New Reader
10/11/09 6:29 p.m.

Keith: according to that fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia, "Shooting-brake is a 2-door car body style with a squared-off rear. They generally have hatchbacks although one or a pair of side-hinged doors is also sometimes seen. The term originated with custom built 2-door luxury estate cars altered for use by hunters and other sportsmen such as golfers, riders, and polo players requiring easy access to larger storage areas than offered by the typical automobile boot." They include the MGB-GT as an example of the breed.

I don't know why they put a hyphen in "shooting-break," however.

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
10/11/09 6:48 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: coupe = 2 doors, quarter windows, with or without B pillar, roof line ends at the rear quarters with a defined trunk. Fastback = 2 doors, quarter windows with or without B pillar, roof line fades smoothly into rear of the car. 2 door hardtop = 2 doors, quarter windows, no B pillar 2 door sedan = 2 doors, quarter windows with B pillar. Modern styling departments have forgotten about or haven't bothered to learn the differences.

One other: Phaeton = four place convertible.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot New Reader
10/11/09 7:00 p.m.

Does anyone remember the XKE that Harold converted into a hearse in Harold & Maude? If someone can find a pic it might be worth posting.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen New Reader
10/11/09 7:07 p.m.

928 Shooting Brake- I seem to recall seeing a different one somewhere that was a bit more attractive

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
10/11/09 7:25 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I am surprised you don't see more of these on the road.

Very nice.

That would be classified as an "estate" though.Shooting brakes are two door wagon-esque sports touring type vehicular modes of transportation.

alex
alex Dork
10/11/09 7:38 p.m.
Woody wrote:

Omigodyes. Yespleeznow.

alex
alex Dork
10/11/09 7:41 p.m.

I'm not sure I'd call the B GT a shooting brake, but I'm not too sure why. I don't think it has enough window behind the B pillar. (But that's a great color.)

P1800ES, for sure.

And that Aston is teh secks.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/11/09 7:48 p.m.

I guess technically the VW fox qualifies as a shooting brake.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
10/11/09 7:50 p.m.

Never made it out of the factory.

Thank goodness.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/11/09 7:57 p.m.
dimeadozen wrote: 928 Shooting Brake- I seem to recall seeing a different one somewhere that was a bit more attractive

Perhaps you were thinking of the 944 shooting brake that I've seen?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
du9fY6OWBtQziympiH93CZBMKxF4fN7GtRVccE6uog9yRrQOuhqWxHz2SFf5XRBQ