1 2
maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
9/21/18 12:27 p.m.

The trick is to start with two perfectly good production chassis and turn them into one, totally not functioning chassis. At least that's my $2018 strategy. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/21/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

I mean it also would've been a fun toy to use at local autocrosses as well 

n8
n8 New Reader
9/21/18 12:38 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

It's a good strategy. ;)

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/21/18 12:43 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

That’s exactly why I asked that a run-what-you-bring class be allowed.  Low cost innovative does not require a production chassis.  

Talk to the publisher. Make your case.  He has the power to modify the rules as he sees fit

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/21/18 12:46 p.m.
Apexcarver said:
Robbie said:

Or give it a production body...

Rd - I'm currently building a long term challenge project that is a Fiat x1/9 with gsxr1000 power devil

R1 powered spitfire

Im less than $300 in so far and have most of the suspension and brakes other than masters (miata swap, its body on frame) other than springs/shocks as well as the rolling shell.  

Let's race!!! link me your build thread please! Mine:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/fiat-x19-bike-engine-challenge-build/122836/page1/

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/21/18 12:53 p.m.
Titan4 said:
n8 said:
stafford1500 said:

See my comment above...

I'm aware, but I'm not sure that was the best call in that case. While part of the original unibody, the body panels weren't close to resembling anything structural.

This is one of the reasons I lost interest in doing a challenge build.  When the rule is anything you can talk 'management' into is legal, you've got a game I don't care about playing.

May I respectfully ask you why?  My argument is the main restriction of the class is the budget. It prevents unlimited money/ budgets being able to take the win. 

If I get scrap metal tubing and make a chassis that is deemed safe why not allow me to race?  

Regarding safe, that is certainly not a high hurdle given the total lack of fatalities in the group of brutally butchered bunch of cars running in the past. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/21/18 2:05 p.m.
Robbie said:
Apexcarver said:
Robbie said:

Or give it a production body...

Rd - I'm currently building a long term challenge project that is a Fiat x1/9 with gsxr1000 power devil

R1 powered spitfire

Im less than $300 in so far and have most of the suspension and brakes other than masters (miata swap, its body on frame) other than springs/shocks as well as the rolling shell.  

Let's race!!! link me your build thread please! Mine:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/fiat-x19-bike-engine-challenge-build/122836/page1/

Build thread not started yet, working on finishing my Bugeye resto first.  Some parts fell in my lap

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/21/18 3:41 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Build thread not started yet, working on finishing my Bugeye resto first.  Some parts fell in my lap

That could be taken figuratively or literally.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/21/18 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thank you for that clarification!  That sounds like my MGuar will comply. ( I’ll send photos as it goes together to ensure) 

It’s a given it won’t be quick but I’m not building it to race, simply to have fun. your event promises to be about as much fun as an old guy can handle. Not to mention low pressure!  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QGAcnTBNs4Koo19OPle0J1KvISOkkGcljnm2dc26Oogm2YMwohS9iESLn87Ub2vo