1 2
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 11:18 a.m.

2005 CTS-V. I seem to recall hearing about "spontaneous airbag deployment" on an auto-x course, but not sure if that's truth or urban legend. Thoughts?

Also, anybody know what stock class I'd be in?

Thanks!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/7/14 11:26 a.m.

I've seen it happen, but i wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Just go out there and have fun. You are in F Street class.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/7/14 11:32 a.m.

My anecdotes: I have seen 2 different V's get popped into to "Limp home mode" somehow on an autocross course.

No idea why, YMMV.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
7/7/14 11:39 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCMZZPpC7AA

GM has the rollover sensors set on a hair trigger. I heard something that GM racing had directions on what fuses to pull.

I dont have a solid lead on information, but here is the result of some light searching...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1451070 (see post 8) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297078

no info, but gives rough expense http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/27-track-racing/8045-air-bag-fuse.html

I have personally seen a camaro blow its bags on a normal autocross run. (small lot even) The risk is real, but there is a fix, just gotta find it.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 11:59 a.m.

Seems like all the evidence points toward it being a V2 (second gen) problem(?)

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/7/14 12:14 p.m.

I've seen the supercharged one and a Camaro ZL1 have the airbag deploy.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
7/7/14 12:15 p.m.

Just do it man, but video that E36 M3

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 1:09 p.m.

berkeley you, Steve

Without going into great detail, I've had a string of bad car-related luck lately. Trying not to go for the trifecta.

Will
Will SuperDork
7/7/14 1:30 p.m.

I did it on Hoosiers for a full season and didn't have any problems. Saw 1.29G listed on the car's g-meter (not that I think it's all that accurate), so I think you'll be fine.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 1:36 p.m.
Will wrote: I did it on Hoosiers for a full season and didn't have any problems. Saw 1.29G listed on the car's g-meter (not that I think it's all that accurate), so I think you'll be fine.

HA! Awesome. Saw the same pic/one of your posts either in one of the links above or in a google search

Choppa87
Choppa87 New Reader
7/7/14 1:48 p.m.

I track my 05 CTS-V regularly and have not had any issues

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/7/14 1:52 p.m.

Anyone remember that video of onstar calling when that guy launched his at the drag strip?

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
7/7/14 2:43 p.m.

That's the same class I'll be in with my Mark VII before the mods begin!

LOL!

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Will:

BTW, see you Sunday?

Will
Will SuperDork
7/7/14 3:18 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: In reply to Will: BTW, see you Sunday?

Yeah, that was kind of funny. 30 seconds after posting that pic I was in Noelle's office asking if she was going this Sunday.

Not sure what I'll be driving, though.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 4:43 p.m.
Will wrote:
Yeah, that was kind of funny. 30 seconds after posting that pic I was in Noelle's office asking if she was going this Sunday. Not sure what I'll be driving, though.

Lol. F-stock, yes? (Car is rock-stock on street tires.) Oh, and I'd gladly offer up a seat, but in light of recent events, I'm kind of in "Don't borrow, don't lend" mode right now.

Also, did you have TC on or off? It seems there's some speculation that this may have some affect on the airbag thing.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
7/7/14 4:57 p.m.

Is there any way to pull a fuse and disable the airbags at an event?

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/7/14 5:09 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Is there any way to pull a fuse and disable the airbags at an event?

It was linked earlier but I'd rather leave well enough alone. Will's post put me at ease. I'm good. Plus, it's not like she hasn't seen some rather "spirited" driving in the industrial park at 2AM.

Will
Will SuperDork
7/7/14 5:19 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Will wrote:
Yeah, that was kind of funny. 30 seconds after posting that pic I was in Noelle's office asking if she was going this Sunday. Not sure what I'll be driving, though.
Lol. F-stock, yes? (Car is rock-stock on street tires.) Oh, and I'd gladly offer up a seat, but in light of recent events, I'm kind of in "Don't borrow, don't lend" mode right now. Also, did you have TC on or off? It seems there's some speculation that this may have some affect on the airbag thing.

Yeah, F Street. I'd go with traction & stability control fully off. The driver aid nannies are pretty intrusive on that car, IMO. If the system detects enough wheelspin, it'll apply the brake, and with the electronic throttle, no amount of mashing the pedal will override that. I remember one run when I forgot to turn it all off, and and trying to hold down the switch for 5 seconds (or whatever it was) during the run didn't work out so hot.

No worries about a co-drive. I can run my SC or my MR2, it's just that neither will be competitive.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/9/14 11:13 a.m.

There was a Philly Region event where the course included a hard left turn just before the exit trap. This was in a large stadium parking lot with fairly aggressive ridges and valleys for surface drainage. It so happened the left turn crossed over one of these saddles. Somebody ran a CTS-V there, and the car's controller unit saw a combination of hard steering input, transition from heavy throttle to heavy brake, and sudden switch from on-camber to off-camber pitch. It read this as an impending rollover and popped all the airbags, cut power, and brought the car to a dead halt. I believe the nice Onstar lady called and got an earful from the driver, but that could be a story embellishment.

I had seen this same car do fine at several previous events. It was just the perfect combination of strong inputs and odd terrain that panicked the car.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/9/14 11:37 a.m.

we have a local on his 3rd season in his first Gen -V. his is an 06(?)

Will
Will SuperDork
7/9/14 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

What year? Could be a V1 vs. V2 issue. We had another local guy running a V1 for a while and he never had any problems either.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
7/9/14 1:06 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Anyone remember that video of onstar calling when that guy launched his at the drag strip?

Yeah, I think that was a Hennessey test car. Pretty funny.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/9/14 1:18 p.m.
Will wrote: In reply to Duke: What year? Could be a V1 vs. V2 issue. We had another local guy running a V1 for a while and he never had any problems either.

I wish I could tell you, but I just don't know.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/9/14 6:15 p.m.

I've seen it happen at least (maybe twice) at Z-Max with CCR

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ht4PIiErW9Itq96MAt7yywdaOgz090PSfege4FxTfgv19pZRzGF1voVhDasPrp2d