bryn
bryn
3/28/12 10:26 p.m.

I have a 2002 Subaru WRX that has 138k miles on it and have been thinking about getting a Cobb Accessport for it. My question is, if I don't drive around too aggressively all the time, will running their stage 1 map on it cause any major parts to potentially fail sooner than they would if I just leave it as is?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
3/28/12 11:34 p.m.

I had an AP on my daily driver 07 Mazdaspeed3 for a good year or so, running a stage 1 tune with an SRI/turbo inlet hose. I never had a problem with it. The power delivery was so much smoother than with the surging stock tune, and later maps switched from load targets to boost targets, which helped reduce the chance of a boost spike harming the engine. I did switch to one-step colder spark plugs and better fuel pump internals for insurance. Those are MS3-specific mods and weren't necessary, esp. if I had kept the stock intake tract. YMMV with the Scooby. Obviously, a custom tune works best, but the out-of-the-box tunes aren't bad.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/28/12 11:51 p.m.

Alternately, for the money the AP costs, you may be able to find a tuner who uses Open Source to give you a real tune.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UC4Gb0aP2VQ53MqIpDjzU1X9R4ba6PSCaOr7bKQ8qbtFjmGc8fPZNGi4wQ1FFIWG