1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
1/23/12 12:57 p.m.

I've been mulling over the thought of getting into a VW TDI for daily driving, and unsurprisingly, the TDI Beetles are basically given away for free compared to the far more valuable Jettas, Passats and Golfs. I've never liked the Beetle. I don't like the greenhouse, I don't like the ergonomics, and I don't like the styling. But, Beetle TDIs are cheap enough to have me considering one anyways...so, GRM, can anybody show me a tastefully modded, or replicable decent looking New Beetle out there?

So far, all I have is the Ruf Bug.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
1/23/12 1:03 p.m.

LOL

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/23/12 1:06 p.m.

Beetle RSI?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
1/23/12 1:24 p.m.

There was a street car shootout, can't remember the magazine that had an awd (audi?) drivetrain and big turbo. Gonna research and look for it. Looked damn cool!

EDIT: I think the Beetle above is the one. http://www.vwtuningmag.com/hpa-motorsports-beetle-rsi-ft575/

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
1/23/12 1:29 p.m.

Was it the HPA Beetle?

I hate the New Beetle. I have been a VW person since I was 16 but the New Beetle is hideous. So are the Golfs and Jettas of the same period.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/23/12 1:31 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: There was a street car shootout, can't remember the magazine that had an awd (audi?) drivetrain and big turbo. Gonna research and look for it. Looked damn cool!

I think it was in Sports Compact Car.

A cool new Beetle (not the newest one) is an oxymoron.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory New Reader
1/23/12 1:33 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: There was a street car shootout, can't remember the magazine that had an awd (audi?) drivetrain and big turbo. Gonna research and look for it. Looked damn cool!
I think it was in Sports Compact Car. A cool new Beetle (not the newest one) is an oxymoron.

I believe you are correct on the first part. And I would normally agree on the second part but I think just about anything can be made to be cool. Stock=yukky but modded and fast will always equal cool to me at least.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/23/12 1:34 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: LOL

Just needs the stick-on eyelashes to compliment the whole package.....

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
1/23/12 1:35 p.m.

http://frankenbuilt.com/cars.html

ohms
ohms New Reader
1/23/12 1:35 p.m.

i dunno if the bolt pattern is the same, but i think the new steelies/dog dish cap wheels on the new new new beetle would make the previous gen new beetle look much better.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/23/12 1:41 p.m.

If looking for TDI style economy and cheap purchase price, look into 2001 or 2002 Corollas and Saturns. Both are uninspiring vehicles but lack the quirkiness of the Beetle. What they do offer is damn near the same cost to travel a mile when you factor in the higher cost of diesel fuel and the lower oil change and maint. costs.

Also on the fringe, the Mitsu Mirage gets good mpg and a cheap purchase price as well.

ronholm
ronholm Reader
1/23/12 1:53 p.m.

Still just doesn't work does it?

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
1/23/12 1:59 p.m.

Cannot be made to work. The closest I've seen was a guy (I think his name as Louis) that brought a TDI to a meetup we had in 2006. It had mismatched body panel colors because he has fixed it, was stripped out some and modified. That car had some balls. I believe it got a brief mention in the mag.

A fast beetle is the equivalent of carrying a pistol in a Mickey Mouse fanny pack.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/23/12 2:04 p.m.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/06/meet-first-modified-2012-volkswagen.html

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
1/23/12 2:07 p.m.
Tyler H wrote: A fast beetle is the equivalent of carrying a pistol in a Mickey Mouse fanny pack.

Now that was funny.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/23/12 2:11 p.m.

Actually, it's more like carring a pistol in a Hello Kitty fanny pack.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/23/12 2:16 p.m.
ronholm wrote: Still just doesn't work does it?

I think that would come closer with about another 6" of ground clearance.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/23/12 2:17 p.m.

Still sucks.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/23/12 2:19 p.m.

Depending upon your lifestyle, this might work. Do you wear feather boas often?

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/23/12 2:19 p.m.

The OP has asked for the impossible, it can't be done, can we start a Miata thread to replace this and move on?

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/23/12 2:21 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:

I can tolerate that....

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/23/12 2:21 p.m.

TDI Miata?

sanman
sanman Reader
1/23/12 2:44 p.m.

I was thinking about these as well recently. What kind of prices are you seeing for these?

I love the retro wheels of the newest beetles. Not sure if they fit the older model

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/23/12 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

I've idly thought about a TDi swap into my '73 Capri. There are a number of transmissions that would let this happen like a 2WD Samari or one of the BMW Getrag jobs, etc. My thought it, a 2011 Jetta gets about 40 mpg on the highway, and weighs about 3200 pounds. My Capri is about 2500. Wouldn't it be fun to drop 700 lb from the Jetta and gain RWD in the process?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/23/12 2:57 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
ronholm wrote: Still just doesn't work does it?
I think that would come closer with about another 6" of ground clearance.

I think its great! But then again my favorite forum is obsessed with Yugos and such.

I really like the new New Beetle.

Joey

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FogCe6dmuSCjCe666HWXzXracMtIdXgEmK8TEB73OCKAca0RlUQlSprYfrIyyvKk