TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
7/9/20 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

That is pretty cool, but I wish you would put captions on all of your photos. I want to know what I am looking at, whether it is a Chrysler part or (guessing again) a plastic film making machine.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/9/20 7:33 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Shows a caption on my end. 

java230
java230 UberDork
7/16/20 1:31 p.m.

Made a drawer for my truck. All MDO or pre fin cab ply. UHMW for the slides to save weight and space.

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
7/17/20 12:53 p.m.

Ok, so version 2.0

I remade the pattern larger, silk screen printed several new shirts and 2 for my grandson.

I'm modeling the mistake, I dripped a bit of ink on it and it does not come out....

Does this picture make me look fat? laugh

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/18/20 6:36 a.m.

My son's in laws bought a new house, MIL didn't like the color of the patio brick around the pool so they were replaced.  Raoul the pool guy offered to take the old ones away for $0.25/brick.  Ian offered to take them, no idea what to do with them, but he owns a house so you never know.  All together there was 14 pallets, I took two.

Soil around my house is all clay, sidewalks look like wavy gravy.  I replaced the one from the driveway to the deck by digging down two feet, filling in stone and tamping every 3" lift and adding a run of that black cloth material every 6-8".

With the old brick I made a ramp out the back door of the garage.

Still figuring out the step.

Both walks are framed in by plastic angle iron held down by 10' spikes, the top 3" is stone dust, packs nicely.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
7/18/20 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve (FS) :

Makes you look reeeally tall!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/18/20 10:40 a.m.

i made pineapples! You can grow new pineapples from old pineapples, virtually anywhere. I have like 6 pineapple plants on my balcony in my apartment that I forget about regularly and they still make me food. It's awesome. 

java230
java230 UberDork
7/18/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I highly doubt they would grow in the PNW, but that's awesome! How does one plant an old one? 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/18/20 1:18 p.m.

Forgot about this thread.

It was our 10th anniversary on July 1st. 

I bought some martini diamond earrings for the wife unit but I still wanted to make her something.

Tansu style jewelry box made from a block of ash that I had lying around:

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/18/20 3:38 p.m.

Not exactly something I made, but something I remade. Took an old knock off Tiffany lamp, replaced the single bulb fixture with a compact 2-bulb and drilled the base to mount to a ceiling mount. Now it's our dining room light fixture

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/18/20 4:13 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

I do have the advantage of subtropical Florida weather. 

As far as growing them- it's extremely easy. Cut the top off the old ones you normally would. Trim around the core on the cut off piece so it'll fit down into a glass of water- make sure you leave the leaves on it. Submerge core section in a glass of water for like a week. Roots should start forming. Once that happens, plant in a good sized pot with citrus soil, water. It takes about two years for one top to make food, and they make about one a year after that. 

java230
java230 UberDork
7/18/20 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I may have to try... I love pineapple! 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/18/20 8:23 p.m.

Boy asked me to make him a dog. I surprised even myself. #carnytrash

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/18/20 9:02 p.m.

I made a sliding organizer for some of my hardware:

I've got 3 more to make along with fronts and adding handles, etc., but the first one was the hardest as the others will use angle iron to locate them instead of cut down blocks of wood.

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
7/21/20 6:18 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Pyro was sitting down. 

Silk screening is my latest issue. I printed the back of the shirts tonight.

Pyro jokes I had turned our place into a prison laundry.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/21/20 6:25 p.m.

Things old man made, gas powered air compressor. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/22/20 10:58 a.m.

I've been trying homebrewing. I found Love2Brew's "1 gallon" kits will actually make two gallons if you have an extra fermenter. Just bottled this batch of ale yesterday. It'll need a few weeks of bottle conditioning now.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/22/20 3:33 p.m.

Doggie deck to replace the rear seat in our Bronco.

7/22/20 5:11 p.m.

made a phonograph stand out of some Amazon iron "hairpin"legs and scrap mdf. Paint TBD but I'm leaning toward brown tinted shellac. Only twist was I had to cut the base brackets on the front legs and turn them sideways to clear the receiver. 

this was necessitated after my old modern receiver died and the vintage Sansui I picked up is too small to set the phono on. 

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/25/20 7:50 a.m.

This isn't made, so much as a work in progress, but I've taken it from a sphere to this point.

weedburner
weedburner Reader
7/25/20 11:27 a.m.

Several years ago we bought a pool from Walmart for the grandkids. Living here in the PNW with lots of trees and rain, maintenance turned out to be a huge pain. Leaves, fir needles, cedar cones, cover on, cover off, lots of work. After a couple years, a large tree branch during a windstorm took it out.

Last fall, we were walking thru Walmart and noticed them blowing out the remaining pool stock and saw a 22' x 54" for $200. We loaded it up and it sat in the box until i gelled on a plan a couple months ago. Ended up spending about $2k covering a $200 pool...

(70) 10' sticks of 1/2" EMT about $600

(3) 24' x 36' reinforced greenhouse tarps about $600

(1) 14' orchard ladder about $600

misc grommets, good grommet setting tool, 61 bolts/washers/nuts/etc, also made a simple tower using a Harbor freight boat winch all for about $200

Built a 3V geodesic dome frame 17 1/2' tall 30' dia using the 1/2" conduit, then attached large panels inside the structure to close it in. Sealed up the inside temps are about 20 degrees warmer than ambient during the day, turns out a dome with greenhouse covering makes a pretty good solar heater. The large panels are basically large 10' - 12' pentagons and hexes that are attached to the frame at their corners and centers, quick/easy to remove to get fresh air inside on a hot sunny day.

Here's a pic of building the frame with the 22' tall tower in the center for incrementally raising the dome as I was building it from the top down. Guy wire cables are 30' long and anchored 22' from the center pole, gives just enough lifting height to raise the completed dome off the ground. The tall ladder was not needed for erecting the dome, it did not get here until later...

1/2" conduit seems to be pretty flimsy stuff to be making a building out of, but it's amazing how strong the assembled structure turns out to be. I doubled up the top in this one so that i could install a rope swing. The dome structure above weighs less than 300 lbs.

Here's a pic of the dome with some of the panels installed...

Here's it mostly completed with the pool inside, my RX-7 included for scale...

Turns out a 30' dia nearly 18' tall dome seems pretty big when you are inside, can't help but think it could make a pretty cheap work space for a project car, plenty of height inside for even a lift!

I still have a spare pool pump and filter from the old pool, also have a diesel fired space heater that i use in my shop in the winter. Recently added a new $100 ebay 28x19 aluminum radiator to the mix, the plan is to build a duct to blow the space heater thru the radiator for a diy diesel fired pool heater this fall. Not sure how effective it might be, but that's not going to keep me from giving it a shot.

There's enough basically free tubing left over from the 10' sticks of EMT to build another 17' 3" diameter x 10' 1"  tall dome structure. I think one of my kids is going to build that one on a wooded lot he owns, probably use it like a tent.

Grant

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/25/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to weedburner :

That is the E36 M3

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/25/20 10:30 p.m.

In reply to weedburner :

I see no pictures sad

7/26/20 6:28 a.m.

In reply to weedburner :

dude, that's awesome  I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would love to see a full thread on this with details about how you built it. How did you do the joints? Do you have pics of the frame as it went up? Etc

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/26/20 10:41 a.m.

Pics have appeared now. Very cool!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A422j3zUcrRbiTLx7nOkQRlGauz8DwXtRlUwtSg4zU4gg7eHqMpxyvfkdz9uwWdl