GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/26/20 1:01 p.m.

In reply to weedburner :

I'm pretty sure standing inside this makes your IQ go up 10 points.

I too, want to know how they all stay anchored to each other. Will you also use it as a grow house or something similar?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/26/20 1:05 p.m.

My kids saw scrap metal animals at a truck stop on vacation.  I was like..  we can build those.  They picked the parts, sketched the concepts, and I welded them up.  I think they turned out kinda neat and the kids love them.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/27/20 1:20 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

I like this idea.  I have 4 or 5 garage door opener chains. And a dozen motorcycle chains 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/27/20 1:43 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

That's funny they are made out of a garage door chain.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
7/30/20 4:26 p.m.

Front Brake Ducts on an '85 Rx7. I figured I doubled the hp, from stock 12A to BP 13B, so may as well improve braking.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
7/30/20 5:50 p.m.

I race slot cars in the winter time. 

I build the chassis from scratch out of brass and piano wire soldered together etc. Old school skills, lots of fun. 

Zack

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
7/30/20 5:57 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

The way that is built interests me, is there a link or thread you can post for more info?

How big is that?  I'm guessing a foot long or so?

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
7/30/20 6:04 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to ZackM :

The way that is built interests me, is there a link or thread you can post for more info?

How big is that?  I'm guessing a foot long or so?

It is 1/24 scale, so roughly 9" long or so for a NASCAR. 

There are hundreds of different ways to build chassis like this, and they all handle differently etc. The center portion of this chassis that the guide flag and the rear axle mount to are able to slide back and forth on the large pin at the front. The up travel and down travel of that center section is limited by the rectangular tube and the piece of piano wire. 

The outer section where the body mounts is on flaps that move both forward and backward and also up and down slightly. The basic idea is to slow the reaction of the body weight to chassis and load it progressively, which helps it stay in the slot and build grip. 

The mounting of the front "axles" is very important as the piano wire is basically a spring, and that spring tension is use like caster on a car to unload the inside rear wheel when turning. 

These cars are insanely fast, this is a 65k motor 235g car. On bigger tracks the avg mph can be upwards of 27 or 28 mph. 

Check out Slotblog.net or our local forum NASTE.org if you want more information!

Zack

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/2/20 5:11 p.m.

I like to air-mount my orchids.  The wood is usually some interesting piece of something that Dad finds on his property.   In this case it is a chunk of pine.

Copper wire is from an 8 ft strand of home grounding cable.

Twine to tie on the orchid.  By the time it rots off the orchid has usually anchored itself

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/2/20 5:38 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

Thanks!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/9/20 7:51 p.m.

A few months back I made a console table for our living room. After re-arranging furniture a few times, we ended up with a new configuration and an awkward distance between our 2 chairs. The wife requested a side table, so took a few evenings to get one put together that matches our Console table!

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/9/20 8:01 p.m.

Built an awning for our back door. Gives enough overhang that we can leave the door open when raining and listen to the magic of rain on a tin roof. Needs a little more paint to be complete but I love it so far. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/22/20 11:01 p.m.

The story behind the renovation is a really long one, and I haven't decided if I'll post a thread or not. That being said, the new kitchen is in. Bought and installed the cabinets with a buddy's help, after building risers to increase the countertop height. Then, we bought a bunch of butcher block and made countertops out of it. Still needs toekick done and hardware, but it is at least functional for now, and looks pretty decent. 

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
8/23/20 7:43 a.m.

I finished my first knife last night.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/23/20 9:20 a.m.

I built this hanging awning over the last couple weekends.

Basically just painted aluminum C channel left over from removed solar panels.   Tinted plastic panels, coated wire, turn buckles, I bolts, screws etc. 

malibuguy
malibuguy Reader
8/28/20 7:14 p.m.

Helmholtz resonator on my Yaris

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
8/28/20 8:27 p.m.

In our house are three children between 2 and 4. They climb everything. So I made them something to climb. 

Still needs sanding and paint, but it fits in the living room and can tuck away under a bed or in a closet. Test run:

#1 approved. 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/28/20 8:35 p.m.
malibuguy said:

Helmholtz resonator on my Yaris

Very cool.  Can you provide design details?  I've got something similar in mind.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/28/20 8:48 p.m.

A lot of you already know that i get involved in a lot of home remodeling.

This week i got a neat job from a customer that was willing to spend what it takes to get what she wanted.

She had a picture from Pinterest.  Said, "I want this in the guest room of my beach home.  Go do it."

So, four days later when the paint dries she can put the mattresses in place.  Its a bunk bed with two queen beds.  A little secret play room under the staircase.  The headboards are storage compartments, and above the headboards each bed has its own outlets for charging devices and lighting.    It was done in no. 1 grade  nickel gap pine siding, but she wanted it white to match the rest of the home.  

One of those fun assignments I get once in a while.

I still have to fab the metal railing up top and get it powder coated before her party on Labor Day weekend.

Back to work....

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
8/29/20 6:33 p.m.

Sorry the pictures are out of order, but it's the least nsfw thing I've made lately. I started with the mini berktopus, scaled it up and printed a block mold of it, then poured the big one in the first picture in 0030 silicone.

bigben
bigben Reader
8/31/20 11:53 p.m.

Both times I've been to the Challenge I've recieved the same comment from the pro drivers, "The steering wheel is hard to keep a grip on. Its just too skinny." Its one of those old thin classic wood steering wheels with the finger grips on the back. I kinda like it. I think being so thin it reminds you to drive with fingers and not fists, but it's not what other drivers are used to. This is pretty much what it looked like. 

So I've been trying to  figure out how to get a thicker wheel on without adding much cost. I ended up double wrapping the wheel in felt weather stripping that I bought for a dollar at a yard sale and then hand stitched my own cover out of a scrap vinyl and some thick thread. It took quite a few hours spread out over 3 or 4 weeks, but only cost between $1.50 and $2.00. I finished it tonight and think it turned out pretty decent.

Solstice CV joint to 3.5" driveshaft tube. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/1/20 9:00 a.m.

Riding lawn mower turned 2 engine log splitter with lift arm.... 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/20 1:15 p.m.

Today is my 7 year anniversary with my wife. Apparently 7 is copper...

Our birth years, our anniversary, and our kids birth years. Plus some old electrical wire.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/1/20 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Happy anniversary! We're hitting seven years in December. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHDwI5obkdXaW38Kj6VhmvJnvqsv6K7zq5uRnL5qTp8C0lKux6fufUYUpI5byl1M