1 2 3 4 5
mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
12/2/18 6:49 p.m.

I built this cargo bike, which bolts onto an existing bicycle. It can be unbolted to convert it back to a regular bike:

freetors
freetors Reader
12/2/18 10:17 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

The most recent major piece I made, a new monocoque for a Chevron Formula Atlantic. Most of the tubular parts are original, all of the aluminum is new material. Customer has not yet completed the car, years on .....

WOW! Now that's really cool! Someday I'd love to build a "replica" of the Lotus 49. Those old open wheel race cars where you're sitting in a bath tub of fuel in a structure of wafer thin aluminum must be seriously exhilarating to drive!

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
12/3/18 9:15 a.m.

Earlier this year they closed the road to our favorite beach camping site - its hard packed sand/dirt and plenty fine for 2wd cars to make it most of the way down before it gets too sandy, However this is about 1 mile hike now. I really enjoy the spot as it as hidden in plain sight as you can be but its great waking up to the sound of the waves, normally we take the 4wd trucks to the 1.1 mile mark where it then takes some serrious air down or jeep like large tire vehicle to get past any further and by that time you basically on someones property. 

So to avoid carrying all the camping gear and firewood I constructed a little wagon after reviewing the plastic options on amazon.

This one is rated to 500lbs and has collapsible axles for stow-n-go mode, they slid down when you remove the hitch pins and place it in another hole.

built entirely out of scrap metal and HF junk it can be made for about 200 bucks and fits nicely into the trailer hitch. 

I use an oversized trailer hitch adapter for the undersized ball and it pivots nicely so you can steer

it technically then can be driven by a mower hitch setup too if you so choose, but I found it come in handy when doing yard work or carrying things around the property, added bonus is that I can carry my fuel jugs outside the car for rallys. no spill no smell and instead of carry them to the site you can just drag them comfortably and with its offroad tires its miles ahead of the plastic wheel'd counterparts that are just as expensive and hold 1/10th the weight. 

I also experimented with putting a small hitch within side of it for the bike attachment but that thing is just swinging widly, I need to work on version 2.0 of this. 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
12/3/18 9:20 a.m.

I made the little demon in the foreground, she made (decorated) the gingerbread house beHind her

Matt
Matt New Reader
12/3/18 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :triple sweet.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/3/18 11:22 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to Curtis :

Curtis, I neglected to mention you in the thread about GRM members that your spouse, etc. knows. I hope to meet you in person sometime. The sets are amazing!

My wife has a theater production degree. I shared your photos (the last few didn't download).

Here's some costumes, made by Mrs Floating doc.

My daughter made this. She'll be sure to tell you that it's a fruit bat.

shark and octopus on the left

I so much wish I were better with costumes.  I can build anything with wood and steel but fabric sometimes confounds me.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/3/18 1:47 p.m.

I have a mudroom that is the main entry/exit for the house, and where we hang our myriad of coats and bags and drop our shoes etc.  I needed a bench for sitting and storage, so I made one.  Some 2x2s and a sheet of nice ply and some boxes and voila! 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/3/18 2:09 p.m.

I've been making bread. I wanted a simple recipe and finally found one that works for me.

I weigh out 10.0 oz of white bread flour. 6.0 oz of ~100°F water. 1 tsp of active dry yeast in the water. 1 tsp of salt in the flour. I let the yeast bloom a bit before dumping the flour/salt into it. It takes some time to mix it by hand and incorporate all the ingredients (usually in the bowl); then cover it and let it sit for 8-18 hours. It turns a bit sour (ie sourdough). Through a dutch oven with cover in the oven and pre heat to 450°F. Pull the dough out of the bowl and work it back into loaf shape. Put a little corn meal down before I leave the dough to rest about 20-30 minutes. I slit the top of the dough to release the tension of the skin of the dough to let it rise more in the oven, plus it looks better.

With the convection fan running, I bake it in the dutch oven with the cover on for about 35 minutes (in a normal oven it's probably 45 minutes). Since I don't do much on instagram, I don't have any picture of my bread to share. But I finally stripped away some of the holistic methodology into a basic "can't mess this up" set of instructions.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/3/18 2:58 p.m.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from fabricating in steel, I used to be pretty big into RC aircraft, especially scale helicopters.

Here's a JetRanger in Navy trainer colors I built back in 2008:

The build took over 600 hours, with all of the mounting structure for the mechanics, and all of the scale detail made from scratch.  Right down to hand applying ~3500 rivets on the fuselage prior to painting it.

Today, it needs a new motor, and a few other minor updates to get back in the air, but it's got over 45 flight hours in the logbook.

Here's an AStar I built, patterned after a local medivac ship, and through the magic of forced perspective:

Built a few more over the years, but lost heart for it after a big project (1/4 scale MD500E) crashed on the 2nd test flight... 2 years of work and a lot of $$ down the drain.  All because of a defective electronic part...  Oh, well... that cleared the way for me to get back into cars.  cheeky

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
12/3/18 3:25 p.m.

I built this trebuchet.  It will throw a base ball about 250 feet with a 50 lb weweight. 

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/4/18 9:48 a.m.

A friend showed me a floating table she liked, so I surprises her with one. Went to a tree service, found wood with an interesting grain, had a guy with a chainsaw lop a slice off, and proceeded to go crazy with a harbor freight belt sander since I didn't have a planer. I applied some Danish oil and I was really happy with the result.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/4/18 9:51 a.m.

Here's another picture of it.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/4/18 11:42 a.m.

redleg37
redleg37 New Reader
12/4/18 11:44 a.m.

Wife wanted a mantle for the fireplace. 

https://imgur.com/a/1L87PnS

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
12/4/18 11:44 a.m.

Scrap metal battery charger count? 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/4/18 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Very cool! yes

In the late 70s, I acquired what I now believe was a screen used stormtrooper helmet, most likely for a background extra, as the detail was pretty poor.  Of course, I was a kid (10 when ANH came out), so I played with it, and it was lost over the years.  I can only imagine what it would be worth today! crying

I've just recently started collecting SW replica props... it's a whole 'nuther rabbit hole! cheeky    My first prop 'builds' are around the corner, withparts for an ESB DL44 and ESB Vader saber inbound.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
12/4/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Absolutely!

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/4/18 11:58 a.m.

Gas powered portable battery charger?  Absolutely! yes

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
12/4/18 12:05 p.m.
Rodan said:

Gas powered portable battery charger?  Absolutely! yes

Floating Doc said:

Absolutely!

80AMP alt saves the day when the weather gets cold. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
12/4/18 12:13 p.m.

I made a concrete coffee table

llysgennad
llysgennad New Reader
12/4/18 1:33 p.m.
jharry3 said:

I built this trebuchet.  It will throw a base ball about 250 feet with a 50 lb weweight. 

We built one about 20 years ago. Very crude, but it would throw a flaming* concrete block about 100 feet. Or a tire about 65. Counterweight was probably 300 pounds?

*Flaming so you could see it in the dark...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
12/4/18 2:31 p.m.
zordak
zordak Reader
12/5/18 7:49 p.m.

here are 3 things I made in the last year:

Throttle body plate

brake reservoir 

key fob

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
12/6/18 1:30 p.m.

I made my own Boomcase.

It's not just a pretty face.  Real speakers with crossovers, and a small sub.

Wired up with amplifiers, and Bluetooth connectivity too.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/6/18 2:13 p.m.

That is so cool, I always wanted to make an automotive stereo version of this for racedays.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50Z3c3WTJrpXNTlM6SHXtmuHef2atR38b7bOq3TfyzbMiEhizYUhPYDilqCsLfcv