Holy crap.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/12/21 5:01 p.m.

I'd say they do, very nice

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/12/21 5:04 p.m.

Our backyard entertaining area. My tribute to Bedrock(a Flintstone's reference for those old enough to remember).

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
11/14/21 8:40 p.m.

I finished up this end grain cutting board last week. I'm going to try to make several. The first one turned out looking a bit more yonic than I intended, but I think I'm okay with that.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/14/21 9:21 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Our backyard entertaining area. My tribute to Bedrock(a Flintstone's reference for those old enough to remember).

Super cool. I'm wondering if the infrared heater has enough oomph to warm up the slab?

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/15/21 8:30 a.m.

It's a cheap $99 propane heater from HD. I just put it there in the hope it gave off enough heat for the people standing at the table while eating/drinking, but the first night we realized that it does in fact warm the table! Not super hot but we can place the pizza trays on there and it does keep them warm. 

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
11/27/21 7:36 p.m.

I put together three of these the other night as Christmas gifts for my close family. My late father was a duck hunter in his early years, and had rough sawn about a dozen duck decoy bodies that he intended to hand carve into nice decoys. Never got around to it. I wanted a nice, full-size flamingo yard ornament while I was living in the bus, but couldn't find one I was happy with, figured I'd make one. Mom suggested I use Dad's decoy bits, and they turned out fantastic. Overall installed height is about 4.5 feet.

I just need to decide how I ought to finish them. Paint the whole assembly vs paint just the rebar armature vs stain the wood vs leave the wood au naturale.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/27/21 9:51 p.m.

In reply to JohnInKansas :

I believe there is a law or regulation somewhere that says a yard flamingo must be pinkcheeky

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
11/28/21 12:19 p.m.

Not up to the same caliber as the other contents of this thread, but I'm pretty happy. Operation clean a bench: 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/29/21 3:31 p.m.

Was doing some maintenance on the Agri-Fab lawn sweeper. Always wanted a sturdy handle to move the sweeper in and out of the garage. The 3/8" rod is only a support for the hopper dump and useless for moving around. 

Went to my steel shelf looking for tubing. Right on top was a handle from my first pressure washer, bought in '83 from Summit Racing. Good start.

Went to my roller tool box for a tape measure. Right on top of the roller were two back up plates from an Autopower bolt-in cage, long gone now. Another good start.

Had to drill a extra 3/8" hole in each plate as there were only three. MIG handle to top plate. Primer and paint off the shelf. Hardware from the bolt bin including fiber lock nuts.

Didn't have to go out for parts or material, this project almost built itself. Can also mount the handle vertical. There's even a hook on the handle to hang the hitch pin.

Sadly, this is my only build project for the year, despite being retired. I'm too busy tending to other priorities. 

I love this lawn sweeper, haven't raked grass or leaves in over six years.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/3/21 11:21 p.m.
paddygarcia said:

Years ago I watched my mechanic drop a 911 motor with a 2 post lift and a table and thought that a mobile bench would be pretty useful, and hey before I get rid of that 47U data center rack maybe pull it apart for those mongo casters. Fast forward to 2017 and a real garage plus a welder and voila. Fast forward again to 2019 and the Rolly Bench finds its special purpose.

SWEET! I've saved a set of those roller rack bottoms... now I know why!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/5/21 8:34 a.m.

Another sled.  This is #10 or 11, for our grandson.  My wife and I used to do a lot of cross country skiing, when a kid came along I built the prototype.  It was narrow and tipped over a lot, so I made the skis wider to fit outside the XC tracks.  I've made them for some of the young female engineers I worked with as their turn came, hence 10 or 11 out there. 

Funny to watch Trish walk up to a baby shower house dragging one if these when all the other ladies are carrying pretty boxes, but if you want to go for a walk on a beautiful winter night, that box ain't doing it!

The base is 18 X 24" 3/4 ply, garage sale or flea market skis.  After Ian hit a jump and flew about 20 feet through the air and collapsed the uprights while Mom screamed at me from the top of the hill, I decided to cross brace the struts which are not on when the photos were taken.  It looks too far forward on the skis, but the mass of weight is over the center of the ski boot mount.

The stainless 1/4-20 carriage bolts are sunk flush.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/5/21 8:38 a.m.

The board at 45* up front deflects wind and helps lift the front after hitting a big drift.

Skateboard stomp pads out back for Dad.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/6/21 6:48 p.m.

Slight delay with the uplift desk frames, but now that it's all together, well worth the wait. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/6/21 8:34 p.m.

Wow, that's a lot of wood!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/6/21 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

What kind of wood are those slabs?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
12/6/21 11:01 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Black Walnut. 2 cuts from the same tree. Sanded, oiled. No stain, no poly, etc. 

jerrysarcastic (dork in training)
jerrysarcastic (dork in training) Reader
12/7/21 12:48 p.m.

Impressive. I'm guessing those slabs ain't light, so you're making those motors work for their money!

ORIF (Forum Supporter)
ORIF (Forum Supporter) New Reader
12/7/21 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Beautiful!

Great Job!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/7/21 5:20 p.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:
paddygarcia said:

Years ago I watched my mechanic drop a 911 motor with a 2 post lift and a table and thought that a mobile bench would be pretty useful, and hey before I get rid of that 47U data center rack maybe pull it apart for those mongo casters. Fast forward to 2017 and a real garage plus a welder and voila. Fast forward again to 2019 and the Rolly Bench finds its special purpose.

SWEET! I've saved a set of those roller rack bottoms... now I know why!

No kidding. I have to pull the engine and trans from the 911...I mean Vanagon so I'm going to build one of these.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/8/21 12:45 p.m.

Sent another zine to press last night. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/8/21 3:09 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Slight delay with the uplift desk frames, but now that it's all together, well worth the wait. 

That.
Is.
Gorgeous. 

Beautiful work and nice that's a convertible desk.

freetors
freetors Reader
12/9/21 12:58 p.m.

Honestly can't believe a thread I started so long ago is still going. Anyway here's a goofy little bored at work engraved titanium plaque I made.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/9/21 1:10 p.m.

In reply to freetors :

It's all way cool. Thanks for kicking it off. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RAe8pB5nttfqD4Z9TBPlIwRwwBtNsOzGizUNP6Tk59futQEWT87Osb17H4v4EWcq