jh36
jh36 Dork
12/28/21 4:37 a.m.

I have always enjoyed working with wood and have started two one-man-shop furniture companies at different times.  I designed this corner chair using cues from a couple of different era's.  Long story short, this one ended up in the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery.  I have made 5 of them but only sold 2.  

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/28/21 7:27 a.m.

That's a beautiful chair

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
12/28/21 10:41 a.m.

A while back I built myself a workbench, 4x2 top on it.

Recently added the pegboard and 'experimenting' with that, as Ive never used pegboard before. Im liking it, get stuff that's used over there handy

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/28/21 12:28 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Thank you sir!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/28/21 12:47 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Home made coffee table for my son for Christmas.

This is the top of my Grandfather's workbench.  He, my dad and I all built the same workbench from some 1950's Popular Mechanics magazine plan except I was 40 years later than he.  I ended up with two benches from clearing out family homes and made the call to make a coffee table.

I lightly sanded the pipe and clear painted it.  My wife loves it but it's a shin killer.  

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
12/28/21 5:09 p.m.

A couple of years ago, a buddy commissioned me to make him a chainmaille dish scrubber.  About 2 weeks ago, a friend of his asked for one as well, and I just finished it up. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
12/28/21 11:05 p.m.

In reply to Katya4me :

Don't suppose you made a bikini for a chic in Alabama in the 90s did you?

Thank you very much if you did

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
12/30/21 7:20 a.m.

So a coworker drove through an I beam. 

I was tasked with a job I had never performed, in a shop that I am still figuring out my resources and with a bunch of people who I'm uncertain of their skill sets. 

Dig a hole.

Cut a pole

Electric glue gun

Have some fun

Nothing ever happened here.

We added the secondary support beams right after the impact, the roof had moves 2.6"  at that point. I cut the new I beam, fabricated plates and drew up the plan, then executed raising the roof 3" and installing the pole. Total job time from dispatch to cement pour was 12 hours. I'm pretty proud of this one.

jh36
jh36 Dork
12/30/21 7:23 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Nice work. Like a swat team. How high is your ceiling there?

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
12/30/21 7:26 a.m.

That I beam is 19'1.5" end to end. I also have areas with 40 foot ceilings in the facility. 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
12/30/21 7:56 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Katya4me :

Don't suppose you made a bikini for a chic in Alabama in the 90s did you?

Thank you very much if you did

LOL, no.  I usually stick with jewelry but don't mind making the scrubbies as they are pretty awesome. 

NY Nick
NY Nick HalfDork
12/30/21 8:43 a.m.

First off that is a nice repair! Second holy cow I hope that hit is on video. I have seen (both in person and on video) people hit walls, machines, and building supports. Some of them have been hard hits and I have never seen that kind of structural damage. I saw a lady hit a beam like that at a Contec SPX plant in NC, she hit it so hard I thought she was knocked out (she wasn't, just scared quiet) and there was no building damage. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
12/30/21 10:25 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Thank you!

It was not on camera. He was on one of our big big fork trucks which apparently has the speed limiter disengaged. He a was loaded with about 4500lbs of steel in reverse at 8mph and caught it with the left rear of the truck pushing it diagonally away from point of impact. 

I was 350 feet away inside the metal stamping area of the plant and both heard and felt the impact. It sounded like an explosion. 

Being in maintenance means you get to be an emergency response person as well, I was quite shocked when I found the driver hadn't been even slightly phased or injured. 

Speed limiters have been checked on all the trucks as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/30/21 5:38 p.m.

Two little projects.

Internet advertising decided I would like a carbon fiber wedding band. Well yes, it seems smarter than a thick titanium band which is what I've been wearing. But the prices were too jewelery-like. So I ordered a meter of cf tube of the appropriate ID from eBay, cut off 8mm, did a little sanding and voila. A super-light wedding band for about $25 - plus I still have 99.2 cm of carbon fiber tube to play with or to make a replacement.

We had some LED Christmas lights that had the ability to twinkle and do various tricks. But the controller had a MTBF of about 10 hours, after which just half the lights would run full brightness and the others would do nothing. The LEDs are set up in the string to have alternate polarities, so if you switch from +/- to -/+ you can turn on the two halves of the light string. So I put this together out of a $8 "Trinket" and a $2 motor controller. It now fades the lights back and forth and has run continuously for a week with no problems. The base was cut on the laser just because. Ridiculous use of time? Maybe. It won't end up in the Smithsonian or prevent a building collapse. But it was fun and Janel likes the twinkly lights that have been custom-programmed to her preference.

hybridmomentspass
12/31/21 9:41 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Two little projects.

Internet advertising decided I would like a carbon fiber wedding band. Well yes, it seems smarter than a thick titanium band which is what I've been wearing. But the prices were too jewelery-like. So I ordered a meter of cf tube of the appropriate ID from eBay, cut off 8mm, did a little sanding and voila. A super-light wedding band for about $25 - plus I still have 99.2 cm of carbon fiber tube to play with or to make a replacement.

We had some LED Christmas lights that had the ability to twinkle and do various tricks. But the controller had a MTBF of about 10 hours, after which just half the lights would run full brightness and the others would do nothing. The LEDs are set up in the string to have alternate polarities, so if you switch from +/- to -/+ you can turn on the two halves of the light string. So I put this together out of a $8 "Trinket" and a $2 motor controller. It now fades the lights back and forth and has run continuously for a week with no problems. The base was cut on the laser just because. Ridiculous use of time? Maybe. It won't end up in the Smithsonian or prevent a building collapse. But it was fun and Janel likes the twinkly lights that have been custom-programmed to her preference.

Personally, I'd be interested in buying a ring from you. As we are now in the planning stage of the wedding, MY ring has come up. I want something simple, and not gold or silver.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/31/21 11:18 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Don't need me, just order the tube from eBay and find yourself a hacksaw. I am no fine jeweler :)

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/31/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

We went silicone. Cheap, any color or pattern you can imagine, and no risk of taking off a finger. 

TThough I do like that carbon fiber idea

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
1/3/22 10:50 a.m.

This happened at one of my previous jobs a couple different times.  Once (before I worked there) it brought down the roof for a significant portion of the building.  I don't think anyone was killed, but it was a bad deal.

The second time, it was a crane column was hit.  It sheared the anchor bolts at the base plate and moved the base of the column 2.5 feet.  Fortunately the overhead crane was in a different span at the time.

I gripe about people being cavalier while driving on the highway, but the same is absolutely true with heavy equipment.  It's one of those things where you are not allowed to ever have a bad day.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/4/22 11:07 a.m.

Me and my brother in law decided to build drift trikes last weekend.

Both still need work to be finished, but they are ridable, and VERY fun. 

This one is mine, the plan is to actually have a passenger seat where the gas tank is currently. I don't know how well that's going to work, but I'm excited to find out. 

hybridmomentspass
1/4/22 9:24 p.m.

The lady sent me a picture of this yesterday, asking if I thought I could make one. Sure...I think. 

Bought some 1x2 and 1x1 from lowes last night to give it a go

And here's where I got to tonight when I started on it. I still have to do some nailing (brads) and glue in one of the pieces (top right portion of the X part)

Ive never had to do those angled cuts like that before, and Im not good at it, but I figured out how to make it work for now.

The one she found was 35 bucks. Im 10 into this with extra materials, I'll need to get more for the triangular portions, draw something up and then cut it on the scroll saw, I think.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/4/22 10:17 p.m.
NY Nick said:

First off that is a nice repair! Second holy cow I hope that hit is on video. I have seen (both in person and on video) people hit walls, machines, and building supports. Some of them have been hard hits and I have never seen that kind of structural damage. I saw a lady hit a beam like that at a Contec SPX plant in NC, she hit it so hard I thought she was knocked out (she wasn't, just scared quiet) and there was no building damage. 

No property damage with ours, fortunately. Driver def had a code brown though. He parked the truck, set the dock leveler, and proceeded to drive the forklift into the trailer. It would have gone quite well for him, had he engaged the trailer brakes. Alas, he did not, and so, we had to retrieve his hyster from between the dock and trailer.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/6/22 9:19 p.m.

I ran into a situation where the combination of flywheel, pressure plate and throw out bearing for a Ferrari 330 just wasn't going to work. My solution was to make the throw out bearing 8mm longer 

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
1/7/22 9:14 p.m.

Fan shroud for a 41 we did with a stroker LT1 and 10 speed. Just one part of thousands that were custom made for the car. Won Street Rod of the Year. 

Also the radiator end tanks were machined in house. Built using a C&R core. Also made the hose extensions and such. 

And something I'm working on right at the moment... 

Working on taking the ugly out of a Kugel 32 chassis. 

Never did I ever think I'd say "that fan shroud looks like jewelry" but here we are...

Really nice work there!

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/7/22 11:52 p.m.

I made a hole. Really impressive, I know, but this is a special hole. This hole saved me almost $600 in pellet pipe. This hole let's the chimney stay blocked EXCEPT where the pellet pipe goes through it, allowing me to use a small chunk of pipe to get past the damper instead of going the whole way up. 

Also, while I did trace the pipe on the steel, I cut it free hand. No mounts, guides, anything. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVhnjBcPLUCnVUECsOK4LIZYH3B961r08Xg6S8w7PMK19q4XceKbrC6q3OYLpF7e