wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
1/3/20 7:33 p.m.

...anybody have knowledge of something like these?

also, 

Street legal, and reasonably bright (as good as conventional lights is OK), preferred. Also, cheap-yeah, that's the clincher.

EDIT:

I would also consider a 4X6 Led, kind of like so

I think I might need the capacity to run both hi and lo beams at once, if possible.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/3/20 8:43 p.m.
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
1/4/20 10:28 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

The lamps on the Alfa X1/9 are below legal minimum height here in the USA. I have often contemplated sone change on my car, I am convinced the pop ups cost fuel and speed, but I do a lot of night driving and love the light output of the 100watt H4 lamps I use now.

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
1/4/20 1:02 p.m.

Headlights?  All I see are wonderful fender flares on a classic!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/4/20 3:28 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to wheelsmithy :

The lamps on the Alfa X1/9 are below legal minimum height here in the USA. I have often contemplated sone change on my car, I am convinced the pop ups cost fuel and speed, but I do a lot of night driving and love the light output of the 100watt H4 lamps I use now.

I actually looked it to this and not all states have a minimum height. My state does not. (I am a licensed inspector so I have to know this stuff). There is a maximum height that I think is federally mandated. I think it is 42 inches but I would have to look that up to make sure.  I know my friend that owns the shop where I help him with inspections he has failed a couple bro-dozers for headlights that were to high. The funny part about that is the reason for failure gets entered in to the states system so now any inspection place will see it. Also if the truck gets pulled over it will come up when the plate is run and if the vehicle is found to be non compliant but has a passing sticker the inspector and the station that passed it will get in trouble.  

Anyway that got long winded. The reason for my interest in this is I have a 951 project and I was thinking of putting the headlights where the driving lights are and removing all the mechanical stuff for the pop up headlights just leaving he headlight covers in place.   This would free up a lot of needed space in the front of the car. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/4/20 10:45 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Anyway that got long winded. The reason for my interest in this is I have a 951 project and I was thinking of putting the headlights where the driving lights are and removing all the mechanical stuff for the pop up headlights just leaving he headlight covers in place.   This would free up a lot of needed space in the front of the car. 

Why not use the plexi covered headlights from the 924 GTS? They make replicas of them for the 944 and 951. I imagine something could be fabbed up to fit the X too

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/5/20 12:27 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Because you still have headlights in there. Get rid of them all together and you get all kinds fo space. I also think that the clear plastic covers in place of the metal ones ruin the look of the car. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/5/20 12:32 a.m.

The car in your photo is a 944. I want to put the headlights where the driving lights are. This is what my car looks like. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/5/20 12:35 a.m.

Actually I have an actual photo of my car here. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
1/5/20 8:13 a.m.

I have just read through the TN laws, and, no minimum height here (YRMV).

I like the recessed headlight look, and it is the surest way forward.

example:

Apologies for the small picture. 'Twas all I could locate at the moment.

Problem is, the car in the first post is soo pretty.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/5/20 11:40 a.m.

Do you have dimensions of the Driving light slots?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/5/20 12:26 p.m.

well, if you want to do headlights in the foglight/driving light spots, maybe the small rectangulars from the 90's camaro would fit?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/5/20 12:35 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Do you have dimensions of the Driving light slots?

For the 951?  Not off the to of my head but measuring with my hand they are about 9"x4". 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/5/20 12:42 p.m.
mad_machine said:

well, if you want to do headlights in the foglight/driving light spots, maybe the small rectangulars from the 90's camaro would fit?

Or these maybe?  I have heard that the light output with these are less than great. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/5/20 7:25 p.m.

Hella 550s are good enough to function as a stand-alone headlight, and they should fit into the bumper with room to spare.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fs2AzH0RFCxbNw3pAthfZt1U230yeaLH36YKEzS3YUaFEi6z2fcNSYTPzQt5G3bf