1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/28/22 8:03 p.m.

You mentioned you want to listen to podcasts on this setup. Something else I've found from experience: spoken word requires more signal-to-noise ratio than music. With music, if the audio is kinda low, your brain will just fill in the missing words and notes, since it's a song you've probably heard before. But since the podcast is conveying new information, if you can't hear it clearly, it will just sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to your brain. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
11/28/22 9:01 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I have that problem with the cheap android head unit in my van. It has enough power to blast music at a comfortable volume but when listening to books or podcasts I have to crank it all the way up and still struggle to concentrate on the words over all the other noise.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/28/22 10:04 p.m.

If you have seats with headrests , at one time they made speakers that attached to the headrest with an elastic band , 

I wonder if they make the same now with Bluetooth ?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/29/22 6:34 a.m.

Look up the term Powersports Sound Bar. Is there any way you can make this work in the rear shelf area and still make it completely "quick removal" for "concourse"?  As for concourse, this would leave the dashboard looking stock or perhaps a vintage radio. 

Waterproof which is probably wise in a Spitfire!

High dollar Crutchfield choices

Lower dollar Amazon choices

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/29/22 1:47 p.m.

A Mini Jambox is 2.25 x 6.  A Single DIN is 2x7

RIP The Mini Jambox.  You can still find them on Ebay and Amazon.

The big difference between the Mini Jambox and the current wave of speakers is the construction (all aluminum) and the thickness is only 3/4" give or take.  And they bump biggly for their size.  

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/29/22 1:54 p.m.

I see a lot of roll bar mounted speakers on boats, jeeps and ATVs. That is, if your Spitfire has a roll bar.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/29/22 3:36 p.m.

Got room for a pair of these?  Maybe under the dash?  Pyle PLMR24 3-1/2" 3-Way Marine Speaker - $28/pair. 

Main product image for Pyle PLMR24 3-1/2" 200 Watt 3-Way Marine Speaker P 267-7254

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/22 9:39 a.m.

FWIW, the Garage Rescue Miata currently has just one (1) working speaker, and I thought about redoing the entire sound system. I even bought some new equipment.

Between the intake and exhaust note, the car sounds so good that I shelved the idea. At night, with the top down, the experience is just perfect. 

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
12/8/22 1:40 p.m.

Here me out. Pull it on a Harbor Freight trailer behind you.

\--/_      _\--/

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/22 2:05 p.m.

I have Spitfire Options kick-panel speaker mounts in my Spitfire.  They work well and don't encroach into the limited foot well space.  They are also designed to be a little more recessed than some of the DIY options I've seen.   At B-road speeds, the speakers can keep up with the road noise. At highway speeds - forget it.  They could really use a set of tweeter speakers near the top of the doors, but I haven't figured out how to fit those. 

I installed a similar setup in my -ex's Spitfire, combined with an amp in the boot as well as more powerful speakers.  It fights hwy speeds a little better, but it's still a losing battle. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
12/8/22 3:41 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/22 4:00 p.m.

I installed a rudimentary sound system in the Targa Miata, but sometimes I just go for the earbuds. Heck, I've been known to drive to work wearing the transit headphones with my music patched in :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wFLRQm1V6USXDxj0RcGkqR7CGYwRJMUPtvePeQGghJMSUeEYpAFiv773CqboKXpc