slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
5/2/22 9:58 p.m.

So I am thinking of getting a real entry level camera some sort of DSLR with skookum lenses and all of the real photo stuff.

I generally take pictures of Automotive content, for now just with my consumer level best buy / wal*mart camera.

Here is some recent work..

Yes sorry they are links to the Albums.

'62 Plymouth Valiant  V 200 Wagon:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149826863@N07/j1ub97

'69 Dodge Dart Swinger

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149826863@N07/TtP313 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/3/22 11:25 a.m.

Certainly look here and their various rankings and reviews:

https://www.dpreview.com/

A lot of photography (old style and new) is post processing so you will likely want tools for that (Photoshop being the benchmark).

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
5/3/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Thanks.  I will look into those.

My pictures have no editing except for the color chooser / filter on the camera itself.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
5/3/22 12:13 p.m.

Personally I would take a look at the mirrorless options instead of a DSLR. I shoot photos and video on the Sony system with my main camera being a Sony A73. 

If I had to start fresh with a new system I would look at Canon. I really like how they have added adaptors so you can use older lenses from their DSLR lineup on  the new cameras. But I also really like my Sony and would recommend their lineup of cameras.  

The biggest thing I think is look up the reviews  watch some videos on YouTube find one you think you might like and go to Best Buy and physically hold the cameras. A big issue a lot of people have with Sony stuff is it is on the smaller side and not as ergonomic. 

I am not familiar with the other lines of cameras but the "entry" level on Sony would be something like the A6000 or the A6100. I own an A6000 and really like it. 

One  last suggestion is that if you can only afford one lens buy a 50mm that is  my go to lens for shooting static cars. 

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
5/3/22 12:46 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

Thank you sir, Much appreciated.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/3/22 1:06 p.m.

I will add the concept (that might not apply to your use / needs): that you first need to take the picture. 

The reason I say that, is that if you have a full camera rig setup (camera, lenses, tripod, bag etc) you may, or will, become far less likely to bring it with you places you might take pictures (as opposed to plan on taking pictures).  

Like I say, may not apply to your needs, but sometimes, having a very portable camera greatly increases the chance of getting a great shot.  For this reason I specifically avoided a camera body system and went with a fixed lens, so I would not be tempted to stock up on stuff I would have to carry around.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
5/4/22 8:59 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

That Makes Sense.. That's kind of what I have now of sorts.. It's a Fixed Lens Consumer Grade Model.  I can get reasonably adequate telephoto capabilities from it If I had a tripod.

Maybe I will just hang onto it after I upgrade and see how it goes.

Thank you

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/4/22 10:31 a.m.

On my brothers recommendation, degree in photography, I ended up with a Canon 40D from https://shopgoodwill.com/home.  I got the body, two lenses, a bag, two batteries and a charger for something like $40.  I wanted something to take to the track but didn't want to spend a bunch of money in case I decided it was too much of a pain.

The camera is old and does not shoot video, but it still shoots faster than a lot of newer cameras and with only two lenses its not much to lug around and according to my brother it is more weather proof than the consumer bodies so being out in the weather is not a big deal.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
5/28/22 10:29 p.m.

More Recent Work:

- The '64 dart AKA Grüne Hölle:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzRV8d

- '73 Barracuda:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFz5Hx3

Tomorrow I am going out to look at a reasonable Nikon D610 - It Will have all the things a proper entry level Full Frame should have like control over the ISO, Shutter Speed. and interchangeable lenses.  Currently, I have only a single (4-120mm) lens camera with a lot of presets but limited control over ISO / Shutter / aperture

I woulld think at first with the unlimited settings the photos will get worse before they get better as I need to learn how to use the settings for the shot and situation.

I need to get some sort of tripod as well.

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/29/22 1:15 a.m.

I've got a Pentax DSLR and multiple lenses that you are more than welcome to for a minimal cost.

If you have any interest let me know and I'll post a photo & list of all of the bits.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
6/1/22 11:21 a.m.

@Aaron_King  Thank you for that Info - Although I could have gotten a very reasonable camera There, I did pick up one locally, But I have bought 3 lenses for it recently off of shopgoodwill for very reasonable cost.  Thanks again!

@trumant    Thanks you but I do have a camera now - Could possibly be interested in the lenses if they are Nikon / Nikkor F type - I would think pentax uses a different form factor.

Recent work of a Friend's 1976 Honda Civic - Gathering Shots for Bat / GRM Sale:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzSaN1

as you can see I have work to do to learn how to properly use the new camera.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/1/22 11:39 a.m.

Pentax full-frame and APS-C cameras use the venerable Pentax K mount.  Not compatible with your Nikon without adapters with glass in them.  Don't bother.  I'm actually curious what lenses trumant has although I don't need to be buying more glass right now (should be selling...).  

D610 is probably a pretty good camera.  I've never used one but they seem decent from a quick glance online.  There's a ton of good lenses available in F mount that should work with that camera.  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/1/22 12:31 p.m.
aircooled said:

The reason I say that, is that if you have a full camera rig setup (camera, lenses, tripod, bag etc) you may, or will, become far less likely to bring it with you places you might take pictures (as opposed to plan on taking pictures).  

Like I say, may not apply to your needs, but sometimes, having a very portable camera greatly increases the chance of getting a great shot.  For this reason I specifically avoided a camera body system and went with a fixed lens, so I would not be tempted to stock up on stuff I would have to carry around.

IMHO the modern smartphone has made this argument obsolete.  I've ALWAYS got my phone with me, and the camera in it is good enough that I don't see any point to a small dedicated camera.

The one area where a smartphone falls down in photography is the glass, and that's where the SLR/EVIL bodies shine.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/2/22 10:29 a.m.

Add-ons like flashes, filters, etc are also not so great with a phone vs. "a real camera".  

A small dedicated camera can offer these things and usually has faster / more direct controls than a phone.  There's are reasons that cameras like the Ricoh GR and Fuji X100's still sell.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/2/22 10:40 a.m.

A camera body is something of a gateway drug, meaning that you can spend a ton more on good lenses.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/2/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Glad to help, and even better that we will not be competeing for glass on there.

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/3/22 1:17 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I'm actually curious what lenses trumant has although I don't need to be buying more glass right now (should be selling...).

An assortment of DA primes that someone/anyone would get more use out of then me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A2eRxxzyPQ0S6sOXExmbgPoLQMk5IjAIbSLffiDlWPcDwSU5m1PeJQ8EuQMlzIuz