stoptheeconobox
stoptheeconobox New Reader
11/10/09 1:18 p.m.

if you took this Olds Cutlass and added a 426 hemi, wouldn't that equal a sleeper?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Reader
11/10/09 1:23 p.m.

yes it would. However I'd rather use a Olds 500 inch "rocket block" if memory seves, its a BB olds sold only over the counter for drag racing. olds 455 a good second choice, and way cheaper.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
11/10/09 1:26 p.m.

You used to be able to buy an aluminium block 426 from MOPAR.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
11/10/09 1:40 p.m.

Go with a 454 Chevy bored out to 502 - easily available as a brand-new-with-warranty crate motor from GM. Bolts right in with the correct engine mounts. FWIW - local guy somewhere has a box chevy caprice stripped and caged running 10s in the quarter with 454 and spray. outside looks --fairly-- stock

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
11/10/09 1:51 p.m.

Hemis aren't that great when compared to modern engines of comparable size. They sure are a heck of a lot heavier. The heads are what they had going for them back in the 60s and 70s, but modern heads have caught up, and now it's just another big block, but heavier, and cooler.

The above represents the opinions of Tuna and only Tuna.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/10/09 1:56 p.m.

For the cost of a hemi you could instead put in a modern GM LS engine. You'd have as much or more horsepower, it would weigh a LOT less, and you'll have enough money left over to upgrade the chassis (which on that car will accept many Impala SS/9C1 components.)

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/10/09 1:59 p.m.

And I would imagine that a junkyard LS1 would be considerably cheaper. True HEMIs are pricy.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
11/10/09 2:08 p.m.

+1 on not using a Hemi. Unless it was a case of having one laying around, in which case I'd sell it, as you could buy an LS1, all the parts you need for the swap, and a couple Miatas for what it'd sell for.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/10/09 2:29 p.m.

that brings to mind the question, why are the modern hemi motors not as popular for swaps as the gm LS-series? there have to be plenty of dead rams and magnums etc in the yards by now.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
11/10/09 2:53 p.m.

The LS engines were here first before the modern hemi came along, so the aftermarket's already ramped up with conversion kits and such. On top of that there are simply a lot more LS engines around so there's economy of scale. Finally, I'm not sure of this but I think the LS is probably just a better engine - I find it amazing they can make so much power, while at the same time still have good manners and get decent mileage.

stoptheeconobox
11/10/09 2:57 p.m.

ok. so, no hemi. would a viper v10 fit?

bamalama
bamalama Reader
11/10/09 2:59 p.m.

Most of those have Buick 3.8s in them, so swap a Grand National drivetrain into it and be done.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
11/10/09 3:02 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: ok. so, no hemi. would a viper v10 fit?

Sure it'd fit, but again, you're talking about a rare (read: expensive) motor with a limited (read: expensive) aftermarket.

From the sounds of things you're a Mopar guy and stuck with a Chevy?

RossD
RossD HalfDork
11/10/09 3:04 p.m.

Did the modern hemi come in an aluminum block?

stoptheeconobox
11/10/09 3:08 p.m.

okay, the viper's expensive. how's about a 5.0 bored to 6.0 with edelbrock heads?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
11/10/09 3:12 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: okay, the viper's expensive. how's about a 5.0 bored to 6.0 with edelbrock heads?

5.0 as in 5.0 Ford? They don't bore out that big, 5.7L is the most I've ever seen out of one. 351Ws can be taken out to a 7.0L, though.

Why Edelbrock, though? Trickflow heads are supposedly the best when it comes to making power.

Why not just build an SBC? It'll bolt in, be RIDICULOUS cheap, and make as much, if not more, power as anything you've mentioned. Especially if you do a 383 stroker.

stoptheeconobox
11/10/09 3:16 p.m.

how's about a 7.0 vette zr6 engine from the junkyard?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
11/10/09 3:35 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: ok. so, no hemi. would a viper v10 fit?

TDi V10 from another active thread?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/vw-tdi-v10-twin-turbo-motor-closeout/15966/page1/

bamalama
bamalama Reader
11/10/09 3:36 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: how's about a 7.0 vette zr6 engine from the junkyard?

yeah, from what I hear there is an endless supply of those things out there.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS New Reader
11/10/09 8:06 p.m.

The LS motor aftermarket is big. The gas mileage would be decent also. Lots of 5.3 truck motors out there.

If these came with Olds 350s' - the Olds 455 will bolt right in the same location.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/10/09 9:20 p.m.

Ok. I know old Hemi's are as powerful or as light as a LS1 and they are more expensive. But they are just so much cooler. If you have the money to get a Hemi I say do it.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
11/10/09 9:43 p.m.
RossD wrote: Did the modern hemi come in an aluminum block?

I don't think so. I don't think they were available with a manual transmission either until the Challenger came along (I think even the trucks were all automatic, though I could be wrong). That probably hurts the swap enthusiasm a little, although I guess they were only introduced in 2005, so we should give them a little time.

Chrysler has sold a huge number of these engines though, so hopefully they'll start turning up in junkyards for cheap. (Car-part.com says ~$1800 and up for the car version of the 5.7L, $1200 and up for the truck version. I guess that is pretty cheap for a 4 year old, 350hp engine).

Bob

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/10/09 11:27 p.m.

New Hemis have bastard electronics. Not like the ease of the LS swap. Hell, GM has made it so easy, its like they want you to put it into everything.

Hemis guys and electrons don't usually co-habitate.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/11/09 12:24 a.m.

stuff an echo under the hood

stoptheeconobox
11/13/09 10:39 a.m.

how's about a 6.1 out of a junked charger srt8 i found.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hFBWFPsPewOso1LfKJcWcN9P20VpPtXd0kGsOdC1AfxPln4KYKw8Xi1qoeJcYNBw