1 2 3
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
11/20/17 11:04 p.m.

What are some cars that get low insurance premiums because the companies see them as “sheep”, but they are actually a wolf? 

Also, are there any inverse cases? Any cars that are get a crazy hike up even though they are docile? 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Reader
11/20/17 11:12 p.m.

Not current to today, but I had a 67 Dart GT, with no high performance parts. 225 slant six, automatic. Was titled as a GT, and so I had to pay for a higher rate. I remember the words "same as a Corvette" from the agent. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/20/17 11:22 p.m.

05 and 06 (I think those ar the years)  Honda Accord with the 6MT. Someone here just bough a cherry one and its a total sleeper.

Carson
Carson Dork
11/20/17 11:52 p.m.

As an inverse case, I’ve read that 90s Corollas had high premiums because they were high risk for being stolen. I’m sure the theft risk was due to sheer volume on the road rather than desirability or targeted. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
11/21/17 2:28 a.m.
Appleseed said:

05 and 06 (I think those ar the years)  Honda Accord with the 6MT. Someone here just bough a cherry one and its a total sleeper.

I knew a guy that built a stroker version of one of those out of factory parts. After it was tuned, it made 350 at the wheels, and could run lock step with my 347 Fairmont from 40 to 140. I was impressed. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/21/17 3:56 a.m.

It definitely depends on your age & miles driven, but my 85 C4 is $120 every 6-months for liability only. Full coverage was only $170, but I didn't quite have it on the road yet when I insured it. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/21/17 6:56 a.m.

Most exotic-ish cars have surprisingly cheap insurance.  When I was shopping, I ran a bunch of cars by my agent to see how bad it was going to be, and it wasn’t.I pay more for liability on my Suburban than on my CLS63 or NSX.  Even collision/comp on the NSX is fairly cheap for what it is.  The cars with the brutal rates are the ones that get hooned or stolen a lot: WRXs, RSXs, Mustang/Camaro etc. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
11/21/17 6:58 a.m.

rx-8 is a 4 door sedan

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/21/17 7:17 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

It definitely depends on your age & miles driven, but my 85 C4 is $120 every 6-months for liability only. Full coverage was only $170, but I didn't quite have it on the road yet when I insured it. 

and where you live. Here in NJ, with a clean record, and age 47, I pay more than that EVERY MONTH for any car. I pay 160ish a month for my disco and it only moves about 9000 miles a year

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
11/21/17 7:29 a.m.

My 2 door 81 marquis cost almost double what my 84 4 door cost to insure. Was crazy to me at the time.

Jere
Jere Dork
11/21/17 7:34 a.m.

My insurance rates dropped a good amount when I switched from a 95  Camry wagon (the 4 cylinder not the v6)  to a 2004 Saturn ion redline (uncommon factory supercharged ecotec sport compact whatever).

After I took the giant wing off the ion I think it counts as a sleeper 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/21/17 7:40 a.m.

Insurance rates seem to use the same math that people that tune shocks or rebuild automatic transmissions use.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
11/21/17 7:59 a.m.

newer cars < older cars; less likely to be injured in an accident

low theft location < high theft location; lower theft claim

low theft model < high theft model; lower theft claims

low claims/model < high frequency claims/model; eg. WRX > chevy Malibu

average claim for vehicle; some cars are more expensive to repair eg. Viper nose

Less congestion < high congestion; fewer accidents

wagons < anything else; wagons are driven by responsible people with superior skills, only

driver age, older is better up to a point

driver profession; accountants rule

no commute < short commute < long commute

big brother device in car < freedom from the Man; aggressive drivers will stay away while the super cautious will sign up

hybrids and electrics; usually get their own green discount

Some factors weigh more heavily than others.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/21/17 8:06 a.m.

For the most part any vehicle I've put full coverage on (a wide range of vehicles) had very similar rates.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/21/17 8:11 a.m.

My buddy was shopping for a Mustang at 16, and the dealer tried to tallk him into a Z24 because it was new and would get titled as a Cavalier and cost a lot less.  That was probably true, but we are not talking about the supercharged/turbocharged Cobalt SS here (one of the best-handling front-drive cars ever).  We were comparing this: 

to this: 

He paid the higher premiums.  

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/21/17 8:20 a.m.

Rates are based on claims history not whether it is fast or not. A corvette is cheaper to insure than most similar-cost "sleepers." Buy what the old guys buy and you'll have cheap insurance!

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
11/21/17 8:28 a.m.
Aspen said:

newer cars < older cars; less likely to be injured in an accident

This is absolutely true.  My '02 Civic Si costs about the same per year as my '12 GTI did.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
11/21/17 8:35 a.m.

I pay 200 a month for full coverage insurance (and higher than minimum coverage amounts) for a 06 Sentra 1.8s and a 2k Silverado 4x4. Living in a town that has less than 25k people in the summer vs over 100k in the winter. 

In for the secret answer. SWMBO swears she will not ride in a panther platform. cheeky

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
11/21/17 8:39 a.m.

My 78 zephyr wagon costs more then my wifes saturn and my ranger combined. Stated value isnt cheap :(

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
11/21/17 8:50 a.m.
dculberson said:

Rates are based on claims history not whether it is fast or not. A corvette is cheaper to insure than most similar-cost "sleepers." Buy what the old guys buy and you'll have cheap insurance!

This is a big part of it. Look at who drives different types of cars and you can get an idea of how the insurance will be. Corvettes are purchased by older, well-to-do males who are safer drivers than, say, Focus ST drivers. Therefore, insurance companies see less claims on the Corvettes (and more on the ST's) and price rates accordingly. I ran into some pretty steep rates with my SRT-4 and S2000 for this exact reason.

Obviously other things come in to play, but if you want to game the system just buy what retirees buy lol.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/21/17 9:25 a.m.

Many years ago I was driving a 1988 Dodge Daytona C/S and sold it for a 1986 Dodge Omni GLH. My rate dropped 30% every though the Omni was quicker.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
11/21/17 10:05 a.m.

My wife drove a 1990 Mustang 5.0L LX coupe for about ten years. It was dirt cheap to insure at like 50-60 dollars per month for full coverage. I repeatedly asked the agent over the years if there was a mistake. She said "No, the GT's are the expensive ones to insure". Apparently all the LX's were considered the same in the eyes of  insurance companies.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
11/21/17 10:07 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

rx-8 is a 4 door sedan

Yeah, but it's still an RX-8

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/21/17 10:20 a.m.
CobraSpdRH said:

This is a big part of it. Look at who drives different types of cars and you can get an idea of how the insurance will be. Corvettes are purchased by older, well-to-do males who are safer drivers than, say, Focus ST drivers. Therefore, insurance companies see less claims on the Corvettes (and more on the ST's) and price rates accordingly. I ran into some pretty steep rates with my SRT-4 and S2000 for this exact reason.

Obviously other things come in to play, but if you want to game the system just buy what retirees buy lol.

As someone who has owned a C4 Corvette and currently owns a supercharged Buick Regal, this approach works for me. The Regal is a bit more sleeper-ish as it is nearly as fast in a straight line as the Corvette, but neither cost a lot to insure.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
11/21/17 10:31 a.m.
Appleseed said:

It's 2006-07. I bought an '06 recently. Insurance is pretty inexpensive. Less than the Nissan Leaf I was replacing. The V6/6MT is addictive. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I27eAxEJxHkM7P5jGU7kktKo8mHmtQRzr9LFPzTeWS7pLbnvG91uLdL3HSWdGBuN