secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
5/9/18 5:19 p.m.

CMP did not charge last year. Don't know about any other tracks policies...

bluej
bluej UltraDork
5/9/18 5:56 p.m.

Wait y'all are at NOLA tomorrow?! I fly down for work tomorrow morning and will be 15 minutes from the track. HMM. What's your expected time window for being there?

Keep up the updates! yes

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/9/18 6:02 p.m.

We're there 7am until ~ 2pm.

Spectators are almost always free. But you'll almost certainly have to sign a waiver.

Also: yes, my 1hour nap was lovely.  wink

bluej
bluej UltraDork
5/9/18 6:06 p.m.

Dang, I won't be free at all in that window :-/

Keep on, keepin on!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/9/18 6:15 p.m.

Just read the route book for NOLA; spectators are free...

Too bad you won't be able to make it there bluej ; would been cool to have you get to see the  car in action

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
5/9/18 6:39 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Any idea if the tracks usually charge entry fees for spectators? Aeromoto & I are planning on seeing you guys at Nola tomorrow. 

Yay! I haven’t seen Pete since I had the forte!

edit: dfw rush hour traffic sucks. I’m now searching for manual transmission Korean cars with ac and cruise control for under $3500 on Craigslist 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/9/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Thanks! And they’re definitely not kidding about that front straight. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/10/18 2:12 a.m.

We made it in to NOLA.  Stopped the car, checked ked in... went to start the car, and nothing. Pop the hood and found the negative terminal off.  Put it back on, and drive the car a round to park.  Stop, talk to some friends and ~5mins later the alarm goes of.  An hour later, and trying things on my own... and finding that the positive and negative terminals were both loose, as was the tie-downs... and the car went ~15mins before setting off the alarm.  So I u hooked the negative terminal and manually locked the car up.  Hopefully we'll figure this out with Bob awake in the morning... or at least a work-around.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/10/18 8:05 a.m.

So far I can’t make it go off. My initial thought was good switch. These it’s integral to the latch and no amount of movement sets it off. Checked all doors, trunk and nada. Going on 10 minutes and it’s normal. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/10/18 12:06 p.m.

Well we had our first mistake for the week today. I ended up getting loose through turn one the first lap at speed.

Fortunately there 's nothing out there to hit... and I got it stopped, and going again.  The end result being that I was last ahead of the Prius... and the Camry has pulled within 5pts in class.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/10/18 2:34 p.m.

I'm coming around to the idea that we don't have an electrical gremlin.

I do think, though, that the he Louisiana roads shook the battery loose... perhaps aided by the heat cycles it's been seeing.

Also, the Thursday fog is real... and might have been why I went out in the morning session with the VCC on. Theoss of control I think was not having my eyes up, and short-sighted trailing-throttle oversteer.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/10/18 2:42 p.m.

The Thursday fog caught another one of our competitors out hopping the fence between the shaded pits and the uncovered grid baking concrete, slicing their fingernail on the wire.

The competition encourages all of us to carry a first aid kit.  I've gotten in the habit of carrying two... and I used both to get them cleaned up and wrapped before heading out on their transit.

Keeping the fog from inducing major damage is important, and difficult... but one of the few things separating an "All Remaining Cars"  "Champion" from those that trailer home.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/10/18 3:03 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Having spent 2.5 years at Ft. Polk you may be spot on with the roads.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/10/18 6:44 p.m.

Here’s a few pics from NOLA today - it was great seeing everyone!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/11/18 5:57 p.m.

As we stop for dinner on the south side of Indy I start to realize that this crazy, amazing week is coming to a close. This makes me sad. And anxious to do it again. 

Please don’t tell my wife I’ve picked up another addiction. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/11/18 7:09 p.m.

One of us!

One of us!

One of us!

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/11/18 7:59 p.m.

34th on the autox today. Not my finest moment. Coned my fastest run. That run clean would have put me 24th. Shoulda woulda coulda. Car was perfect I just did it wrong. 

Oh well. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
5/11/18 8:53 p.m.

It was great to meet you guys today. Good luck on the final day and safe travels back home!

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
5/12/18 1:08 a.m.

I met one of you guys today but names didn't come up (screen or otherwise) because I'm bad at people. Was good talking what little we did. Be safe in your travels.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
5/12/18 5:17 p.m.

I made it home. John and Tim in their way as well. Safe travels to them both. 

I think this picture sums up the entire week best for me:

Weve been in the same car together for 9 days and we are all still smiling. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/12/18 6:06 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

I made it home. John and Tim in their way as well. Safe travels to them both. 

I think this picture sums up the entire week best for me:

Weve been in the same car together for 9 days and we are all still smiling. 

Really? It doesn’t look like you’re smiling Bob. :-p

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/12/18 7:45 p.m.

2.5 hours = Columbus

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/12/18 9:05 p.m.

Ohio seems to be focusing on "shoulder work" too much... what happened to leg day?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/12/18 9:40 p.m.

10:30pm and I've made it to WV.  Hopefully 3:15am arrival.  Gas/snacks break (etc)

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
5/13/18 2:19 a.m.

Took an hour and a half long nap in Maryland.  Now rain.  5am?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nkZVasJa1QsMROx7Lc6XecZVtCBwSnRcL3V5s0qdWQ7ToukxxsuE2TxrTRyGECmb