1 2 3 4 5
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
1/27/18 6:27 p.m.

Since I'm such an enabler, and it would make an adventurous thread....

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/d/1988-plymouth-reliant/6461116777.html

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
1/27/18 6:52 p.m.

I'm sure Vigo could make something cool out of that.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
1/27/18 7:29 p.m.
sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/27/18 7:53 p.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-hyundai-sonata-gls/6474683540.html

I think I missed that this one dropped $500 recently:
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/2006-hyundai-sonata-gls-v6/6472367618.html

or, once I get the MINI inspected, I can head down and lose money on it in a straight trade for:
https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-hyundai-sonata-gls/6464838224.html
(they currently have like 2 Sonatas and 2 Azera's to pick from currently... plus a 2011 Sonoata 2.4 "6 spd")

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/27/18 8:00 p.m.

re: K-cars...

sometime, when I'm in person and after two beers, I'll explain why I'm more likely to build a '33 Chevy 5-window before I go near a K-car

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/27/18 9:17 p.m.

I'm not educated on trans issues.  However I knew there were various, so I went to FuelEconomy to check and confirm...

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2004&year2=2009&make=Nissan&baseModel=Quest&srchtyp=ymm

For '04-'06 the base model "The S" got a 4 speed automatic. This is what I have.

'04-'06 The "SE" and "SL" got a 5 speed auto.  

For '07-'09 all trim levels got the 5 speed.

Interesting also, that I did not realize until I opened FuelEconomy.gov...The '07-'09 Quest call for Premium Fuel???  The '04-'06 called for Regular.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/28/18 11:18 a.m.

Whatever you buy, make sure you're done wrenching on it way before One Lap starts and you've put several thousand miles on it.

I see way more people showing up with cars that haven't been shaken out and they drop out after only a few events...

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/28/18 1:27 p.m.

this is probably as good a time as any to remind people that I was "introduced" to GRM via Mazdeuce's original 2015 thread:

mazdeuce said:
This is our stray driver. He's hanging out, taking amazing pictures, and doing a bit of the transit driving.

my story is more interesting because the car I showed up with in South Bend, IN in 2015 was as you described, docwyte.  The post above, and several thousand photos I took, are the only counterweight to the bottom line of the 2015 Overall Results that show a forlorn miata with "no time" and -50 pts.  The car, and it's owner, dropped out... and I did not.  The fall out of which has put a 20-25+ year friendship on shaky footing.

My experience has been that the people that break, and stop showing up, went to OneLap thinking they were 'going to show the Dogs'.  I have nothing to prove.  I don't compete because through competition the best are found via the crowning of a winner.  I compete because I find the test stimulating, and the endurance test of OneLap is a means to improving myself thorugh Type 2 Fun/Adventure.

If the car breaks, this thread won't end, it'll get more interesting as will the test and the adventure... hopefully staying away from becoming too interesting.

I realize this is something of a the thesis... and one that I think I've posted a couple times now.  But, hopefully it's valuable to people who come and pick up this thread later... and it's an important way for me to help set the tone for our OneLap this year... which, after all, for me is mainly about giving more people a chance from the hive to come see this wonderful event.  Because, a couple years ago, someone from the hive lent a desperately needed hand.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/28/18 4:33 p.m.

Understood.  For *me*, when entering an endurance event like this, especially considering the amount of time away from work/family and the cost of the event, I want to finish it.  I don't want to have to wrench on the car right before, or during the event. 

That means doing all the prep in plenty of time so the car can accumulate several thousand miles.  That way the only think happening right before the event to the car are an oil and brake fluid change.

Reliability is paramount for One Lap, not just to be competitive, but just to have fun, and get to experience the entire event! 

I'm probably going to enter my very well sorted '98 M3 in the next few years, it won't be the faster car, but it won't break down and its a great street/track car.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/28/18 4:46 p.m.

for Bob and John...

what's your access to non-motorized transportation?  Bike (what kind?), scooter, skate board, roller blades, sneakers, other?  assuming y'all want to join us all on a sighting lap in the morning

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/28/18 6:08 p.m.

I have two bikes neither of which are small  but one is fairly light. 

I, for one, am relieved by your “thesis”. I am not a great driver. Not a magical wrench in my box and I’ve never built particularly fantastic cars. I do this stuff for the people and the experience. If I only did the things I thought I’d be good at or could win I’d never do anything. 

My father has followed a mantra that I like to follow as well. I grew up doing 3 day weekend trips to St Cloud to visit the mouse. One day trips to St Louis or just drive over and see the highest flood waters on the Mississippi in 200 years. When family and friends asked why he didn’t wait and spend more time his response is”I’d rather spend 1 minute seeing something interesting than to wait my whole life for the time to do it ‘right’. “

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/28/18 6:09 p.m.

I also have a 2 bike rack for a trunk. I almost forgot. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/18 8:55 p.m.

Bike.  I have a spectacular shape 1993 Bridgestone MB4 from the second to last year that Bridgestone still sold bike in the US.  It is due for some new tires so it's time to outfit it with less aggressive treads which will be good for tarmac.  I'll get it in for a general "tune up" and it will be great to go.   28lbs.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/18 9:14 p.m.

For bike rack I also have a Rhode Gear Euro Shuttle.  It is pretty versitile.  I used to run it on the trunk of my Miata.  I chose it because the bike pedel could not rub against the rear bumper like many other basic bike racks.  Sort of like a roof rack, you remove the front wheel to and fork mount the bike.  The rack itself accommodates carrying the front wheel.  Therefore, like in the Miata, there was no need to put the front tire inside the car.   

A negative feature of the rack is you car not open the trunk w/o removing the whole rack.  Holds 2 bike even though these pic show only one bike loaded.   Works with Road and MTB.  

Photo samples

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/28/18 10:06 p.m.

I guess one question is, how confident are you leaving a rack(s)/bike(s)-on-rack(s) overnight in a hotel parking lot?  Jah29 and I were pulling my bike off the car and wheeling it into the hotel each night.  It might be a bit more... crowded... with three in the room; then again, that extra 2" of hip room a Sonata/Azera have (over the TL surprise) might be the ticket to stuffing one of them into the car overnight.

then again, 07-ish Sante Fe's are 1" spacers, and a 1.4" drop springs away from 1/1 height/track...
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/2007-hyundai-sante-fe-semiles/6475848614.html
assuming swapping from 235/60R18's to 275/40R17's... but tirerack doesn't seem to want to let me speck out 17"s on it.  Anyone know if 17's fit on a SanteFe?

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/29/18 9:52 a.m.

I don't care. the bike I'd bring was free 15 years ago so.... I don't really have much invested in it. I'm checking on the Sante Fe now....

EDIT: Sante Fe uses an 11.7" and the  Optima/Sonata 11.8" rotors and were also optioned down to 16" wheels. Thoese would be super tight but a 17 would fit fine. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/29/18 10:56 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/29/18 11:06 a.m.

The Sorento was a body on frame RWD/4WD based truck from 02-09. -10 they shared the Sante Fe Chassis

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/29/18 11:10 a.m.

and double wishbone compared to the Santa Fe's strut... which seems to be an orphan / one-off non-shared component... interesting (shows how valuable the suv market is)

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/29/18 11:18 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

My rack allows the trunk to open with it on. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/29/18 11:25 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/29/18 11:45 a.m.

I really wish we were closer! I have the knowledge, tools and time to work on this stuff!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
1/29/18 11:53 a.m.

I'm more worried there are delayed oil changes waiting to kill the engine on that one... that has all the ear marks of a "drive it 'till it dies, no maintenance, owner"

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/29/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

that was a lot of Hyundai and Kia's that lived that life. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
1/29/18 12:46 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

and double wishbone compared to the Santa Fe's strut... which seems to be an orfan / one-off non-shared component... interesting (shows how valuable the suv market is)

it was in the Kia pipeline before the Hyundai buy out. I always wondered how much ford/mazda content that platform had in it. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vcGebCVdksaDIzSrBLebNC7jEAbNwiBmL4SRfuWtEGqRATePdSZJ4fGLKeVNhH84