4 5 6 7 8
Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/12/18 5:30 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

crap... I didn't see the price in the body. Gotta slow down while scanning. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/17/18 10:47 a.m.

alright, so this is the top contender, right now.  Small crease on the fender, relatively low miles, clean carfax, and non-smoker.

Unfortunately, I screwed up and didn't realize my bank is closed on Saturdays now.  So, might not seal things up until Tuesday.

Step by step.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/17/18 3:02 p.m.

another step forward... Summit Racing order for brake ducting hose and accessories.  Should be here in March?  We'll see how long Ground Shipping takes.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/18 6:29 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

The lighting is bad. Is that Sonata silver or beige-tastic? 

Either way,  this dude abides.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/17/18 10:46 p.m.

I'm pretty sure it's silver... but, then again, I found this van if it's beige for inspiration?

maybe some blue vinyl down the side, for effect?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/18 7:06 a.m.
sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/18/18 5:25 p.m.

alright, 8pm first look is arranged.  hour and a half.  although, the seller indicated there might be other interest in the car... so, this could get interesting.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/18/18 5:42 p.m.

Nice! 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/18/18 7:58 p.m.

alright test drive report:

the car has been mostly sitting for the last year... with occasional .25mile bus stop runs

shifts are fine
there's a slight wrinkle on the door that's hard to see in the picture... plus the crease in the fender, which has rust encapsulater over it.
there's some oil on the undertray... some sticky, some wet (wet was over towards the driver's side)... but
the owner power washed the top of the engine bay a week ago, because sale
after that washing the car developed a slight idle wandering... which has improved over the last couple days

it is beige

thoughts on engine stumbled?
run away and hide... it's going to grenade!  or:  {meh} it'll work it's self out as you drive it more.

I look under the engine cover, and there's definitely some kind of minor oil leak... but, 136kmi... it's going to have some.  And reckon the oil on the under tray is likely that way because of the power wash.

I've got until 12pm Eastern Monday to make a decision.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/19/18 6:12 a.m.

STumble is probably from the power wash. Water in the coils or even in the plug holes themselves. I wouldn’t call it a deal breaker but would definitely be worth money off IMO. I’d check all the vacuum lines. At that age with a pressure wash could have developed some cracks that can cause a higher idle as well. 

I cane across This one last night. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/19/18 7:18 a.m.

Idle wasn't high.. ~750rpm... but would hunt down to 500rpm and back up.

Sleuthing around the wider internet after posting last night indicated the same.  are these COP? 

Edit:

Looks like COP.  Should i budget on new coils for 3cylinders as a negotiating tactic?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/19/18 7:27 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

I cane across This one last night. 

I think  I'm at the point if needing to pick up a local one so I can get used to driving it while I gather parts.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/19/18 10:36 a.m.

I doubt you’ll actually need them but yeah. I’d definitely use it to bargain the price down. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/19/18 2:50 p.m.

It’s almost 4 hours past cutoff. The suspense is killing me!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/19/18 3:03 p.m.

oh, I emailed them that I'd take the car... and that the stumble fix could be simple or $100-200 to fix.  Haven't heard anything back.

In "good" news... looks like CarMax will take my MINI.  But I had to wait for my wife tro get back, because I forgot she was on the title.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/19/18 3:19 p.m.

We’ll let this slide this time. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/19/18 7:37 p.m.

a-n-d, the MINI is gone.  Now I've got a check I need to cash that'll cover the Sonata, and mods to it, and some of OneLap.  So, things are looking up.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/19/18 10:16 p.m.

alright, got an email back from the seller.  Apparently my 11am "I'm go" email dropped into their Spam folder.

now to get the cash, and required paperwork printed off.  also, sleep.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/20/18 6:35 a.m.

So that's it? You're going to attempt the first Korean One Lap? Who makes brake pads for these? 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/20/18 7:04 a.m.

Porterfield will make race pads for anything.  We had them make some for an Oldsmobile Bravada caliper, no problem.  I’d suggest having them make some Raybestos ST43 for you, we run them in the Lemons cars with great success, but they seem streetable too as they have good bite when cold.  We get 4-5 races out of a set with no fade issues ever, and we get nearly no rotor wear.  The last set of front rotors lasted 3 years, only replaced due to cracking.  

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/20/18 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Yep. I used their pads on the Forte because NO ONE made front pads for the SX Sedan (different caliper and rotors). 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/20/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Those ST43's are what you ran on the 'Merc for OneLap, right?
Is there a slightly cooler/cheaper pad setup for the rear?

And what's the best method for ordering said pads?  website, or phone/name?

Bob the REAL oil guy.
2/20/18 10:47 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :To get the SCCA discount call. They were polite, pleasant and knowledgeable for me. 

Would the hawk hps be too light duty for the rear? 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
2/20/18 10:51 a.m.

I usually call to order.  

In the lemons cars we run the R4E on the rear which have worked well.  

On the Merc for 1lap we used a fresh set of stock pads, but as that car has the performance package the pads are made by Pagid and it has 15.4” 2 piece rotors and 6 piston Brembo calipers, brakes were not an issue for us.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
2/20/18 2:47 p.m.

reviewing the budget today, I suspect I'm going to be going over my initial budget target of $4036, not including tires.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ce3XqvlELOdiC9tDBA1mpCqEXJHOsEINYV5HxejTdOgTvqcIEDiOGIPP7wi7YNXn