1 2
loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:24 p.m.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:27 p.m.

Ok, these were taken on the Friday afternoon that we picked it up from the paint shop. At this time the car had a fuse box but no wiring for lights of any kind, no windows and no interior.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:31 p.m.

Back in the garage Friday night-bars and foglights are bolted on but not wired.

Start of the interior: Taillights:

We put undercoating on parts of the floor to reduced noise:

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:37 p.m.

This is Saturday. Managed to put side windows in (took 1.5 hours for the first one, but we got better) and landed up cracking the windshield. Luckily we had a spare. Also got the headlights/taillights/signals wired up.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:39 p.m.

This is Sunday at 6:00 pm, we were on our way to our first car show-although we didn't have windows in the doors yet.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/5/11 10:40 p.m.

Very nice :) You and the Mrs did excellent work.

I wouldn't sweat the brazed cage, it has much bigger issues than just being brazed. Its what is known affectionately as a "show cage" and you recognize that and aren't relying on it which is the important part.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:41 p.m.

This was the scene around the car for the whole show-could hardly get a picture:

This is me-happy but going on 4-6 hours of sleep since Friday:

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:44 p.m.

Another car show a week later with the new graphics, this is before the crowds arrived:

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:46 p.m.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/5/11 10:51 p.m.

And the new custom plate:

itsatrap
itsatrap Reader
2/5/11 11:18 p.m.

Pure awesomeness. I'm a sucker for the Hot Wheels graphics, and the whole car looks great. Reminds me a lot of the guy who rebuilt the Tamiya Sand Scorcher I saw a while back.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
2/6/11 2:05 a.m.

I love baja bugs and yours is very nice. Any plans to get it dirty?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
2/6/11 9:07 a.m.

That VW is awesome.

If slow cars weren't fun, I wouldn't have any at all!

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
2/6/11 10:50 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I love baja bugs and yours is very nice. Any plans to get it dirty?

No, after spending so much time making it perfect, we just can't bring ourselves to go off road. Those tires grab rocks and fling them directly into the doors and fenders and it would like like crap pretty fast. Besides, we have quads for going offroad, check out the video from one of our trips to the sand dunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aml8U38VU Or me jumping my quad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7HD-8Yl2uU

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/6/11 10:58 a.m.
That just proves up the old adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

It also proves the old adage that putting big off-road tires on anything makes it slow. Not that it wouldnt otherwise still be slow.

A low hp, good handling (key!) car sits in the garage, and always makes me smile when I drive it.

Is the answer to this one Miata too?

Great looking project, fun is the bottom line!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dO4Bi4Zmc4qLwEpIgaSPHZDEpjJCiUT1TlJBcqyIi07d27vQ8SlYzLwQWAagY7GV