8 9 10 11 12
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/13/13 6:20 p.m.

The whole slap thing makes me laugh. I mean, sheez, it was a little slap! When I was in school I had teachers hit me harder than that! Have we really gone that soft and PC as a society? I'm not defending him, but seriously, it was nothing.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/13/13 6:38 p.m.

that was my problem with the slap .. it was such a girly slap that I'm amazed the redneck contingent didn't run him out of the state

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
3/13/13 6:50 p.m.
wbjones wrote: that was my problem with the slap .. it was such a girly slap that I'm amazed the redneck contingent didn't run him out of the state

I haven't seen it, but that was my first thought. I know a lot of rednecks and not a one of them swings with an open fist. Not one.

Makes me wonder if the whole thing was staged.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/13/13 6:55 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
wbjones wrote: that was my problem with the slap .. it was such a girly slap that I'm amazed the redneck contingent didn't run him out of the state
I haven't seen it, but that was my first thought. I know a lot of rednecks and not a one of them swings with an open fist. Not one. Makes me wonder if the whole thing was staged.

So are we now speculating that he was punished for not properly hitting the guy, instead of that he hit him?

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
3/13/13 7:09 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Toyman01 wrote:
I haven't seen it, but that was my first thought. I know a lot of rednecks and not a one of them swings with an open fist. Not one. Makes me wonder if the whole thing was staged.
So are we now speculating that he was punished for not properly hitting the guy, instead of that he hit him?

Could be. I'd at least believe that. I can even hear it. "Boy, you swing like a faerie, pack yo E36 M3 and get out."

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/13/13 7:23 p.m.
gimpstang wrote:
xFactor wrote: It's a good thing us Hongs were not there. The whole slap thing still makes me angry, even after seeing the episode a few days ago. Yancy is lucky the guy in the M3 was not an unstable short fuse nutter who would have quietly gotten out of his car and bludgeoned him with his helmet. Repeatedly. later, matt
You just described me! :) I was there that day (it was during the tryouts day) and I remember thanking the stars that wasn't me because I would have gone monkey crazy on him. :)

I would have stomped his fairy arse back to whatever Bob Costas hill he billied out of.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/14/13 7:34 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
Toyman01 wrote:
Could be. I'd at least believe that. I can even hear it. "Boy, you swing like a faerie, pack yo E36 M3 and get out."

Well then, I could really get behind that kind of thing...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/14/13 8:07 a.m.

Saw ep.4 last night. Bill you really gotta practice turn 1 I was rooting for you to beat that yuppie in the BMW.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/14/13 8:24 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

All the rednecks should be practicing turn one.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
3/14/13 6:26 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Could be. I'd at least believe that. I can even hear it. "Boy, you swing like a faerie, pack yo E36 M3 and get out."

E46 M3.

Everyone's problem with the slapper was that HE was at fault because HE doesn't know a proper race line. He was a full car length behind and bullied his car into a corner he was beat to. Nothing is worse than a incorrect correction.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
3/16/13 12:50 p.m.

I still haven't watched this show and the commercials still make me want to hurt myself.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
3/18/13 9:49 p.m.

Finished watching "Eric vs Joe" (S4 Avant and S2k, both white episode). That was by FAR the best and most even matched episode to date. I will give the producers major chops for pitting the imports against equal ability pro touring cars. That was easily the best final race of the season so far. My guess is there won't be any that close again.

Still have my reservations since the Mustang had a 100 hp and 450 lbs on the S4. Welterweight vs Middleweight kind of thing.

logdog
logdog HalfDork
3/19/13 6:01 a.m.

I dont have cable so I have missed out on this show. However I am traveling for work and the hotel had speed. I saw the aboved mentioned S4 episode last night. I am kinda torn on the whole thing. It was crappy brain candy but at least it was car related. Beats the heck out of the crappy non-car related shows I have seen recently.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
3/19/13 7:10 a.m.

In reply to fast_eddie_72:

FSP cars ARE fun.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/19/13 8:04 a.m.

You know, considering I grew up in the muscle car era and have a V8 powered American car, I tend to support the rednecks (although I'm definitely not one). And Bill you did a good job of shoeing the Charger last night. But in general the rednecks on this show need to learn how to drive!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/19/13 8:15 a.m.
DRTHVDR wrote: Finished watching "Eric vs Joe" (S4 Avant and S2k, both white episode). That was by FAR the best and most even matched episode to date. I will give the producers major chops for pitting the imports against equal ability pro touring cars. That was easily the best final race of the season so far. My guess is there won't be any that close again. Still have my reservations since the Mustang had a 100 hp and 450 lbs on the S4. Welterweight vs Middleweight kind of thing.

And the Mustang is 45 years old. New cars have a huge advantage in technology over the old cars. In most of the races I see on this show, I think the old muscle cars are at a disadvantage, as you can throw all the parts you want on them, but you can't overcome the fact that they are 40 year old cars with 40 year old structures and 40 year old (some of it) technology. A top pro touring car (runs in the Optima challenge) showed up at an SCCA autocross I ran at last year. I beat his best time by over a second in my CRX. Don't think for a second that just because these old cars have a lot of HP, and fancy suspension systems, that they can easily make up for the added weight and lack of traction control, ABS, stability control, etc... In the case of the Audi and the Mustang, the Mustang may have been lighter, but the Audi had AWD, and with a twin turbo V6, I wouldn't be surprised if the average HP and torque was much closer than the peak numbers provided. Maybe not.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/19/13 9:13 a.m.
logdog wrote: I dont have cable so I have missed out on this show.

PM me and I'll hook you up

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
3/19/13 10:07 a.m.

I liked last night's episode, but was I the only one who thought the S2k driver was a complete tosser?

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
3/19/13 11:26 a.m.

Now that I have had the opportunity to hear Bill's side and actually here from the producers I have watched the show a couple times and found it much more entertaining. The whole slap thing was just dumb. It should have probably been cut from the show all together.

For those that say that it is not that big a deal it is just a slap you are so very wrong. It is a challenge and a serious disrespecting of the person that was slapped. It is a challenge of their man card. And it was done with cameras rolling. The driver that slapped the guy in the M3 is REALLY REALLY lucky that the M3 driver did not calmly get out and take that to the next level. What would have happened if a "redneck" got slapped after winning? That whole thing really irritated me as M3 driver was in the rite. The other driver should be sent home permanently and very publicly to equal the humiliation that the M3 driver endured. I know that I four one can not say for sure that I would have handled as well as the M3 driver did. Then again he was looking at a chance for a 10K payday

Now more importantly is there going to be a next season?

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
3/19/13 11:37 a.m.

Haven't seen the show, and probably won't bother. They are clearly doing a good job of generating discussion, though, as there are threads like this on every car board I'm on.

The disappointing thing, to me, is that they're using high hp, high dollar domestics and matching them up against lower-prep imports on a track that favors speed. It's a lose-lose situation - if you win, you did so by rigging the game and outspending the other guy. If you lose, your high-dollar car got beat by a 20k car with the deck stacked against it.

I'd rather see them flip that scenario: invite a brand-new GTR or Lambo and build a C5 Z06 to kick its ass. The GRM Ultimate Track Car challenge proves that it's possible on a legit track like VIR. At the end, you reveal the build cost for both and make the point that it's ingenuity and engineering that win over checkbook racing.

That would get me to tune in, and I for one find most modern domestic "sports" cars useless.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/19/13 11:43 a.m.

The premise makes my skin crawl. I skipped a bunch of pages, and decided to check back into this thread, since there was apparently enough interest to have a discussion. What I find is a bunch of discussion over some kind of slap which occurred at some point.

"Reality" TV can GDIAF, even if it is car-related.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/19/13 11:47 a.m.
speedblind wrote: Haven't seen the show, and probably won't bother. They are clearly doing a good job of generating discussion, though, as there are threads like this on every car board I'm on. The disappointing thing, to me, is that they're using high hp, high dollar domestics and matching them up against lower-prep imports on a track that favors speed. It's a lose-lose situation - if you win, you did so by rigging the game and outspending the other guy. If you lose, your high-dollar car got beat by a 20k car with the deck stacked against it. I'd rather see them flip that scenario: invite a brand-new GTR or Lambo and build a C5 Z06 to kick its ass. The GRM Ultimate Track Car challenge proves that it's possible on a legit track like VIR. At the end, you reveal the build cost for both and make the point that it's ingenuity and engineering that win over checkbook racing. That would get me to tune in, and I for one find most modern domestic "sports" cars useless.

You should probably watch the show before commenting. They have had a Lambo and a GTR on the show, and they ran them against old muscle cars. I don't think any muscle car they've had on there, modded or not, can equal a lambo on a track with equal drivers, which is a good example of why I don't agree at all that the imports are outgunned. In fact, they often win.
But anyone that thinks this show is really about an equal competition of domestic and import isn't "getting" it, IMO.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
3/19/13 5:34 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

The problem isn't that we are not getting it, the entire premise of the show is which is faster. The show is telling they are legitimately trying to find out which is faster. Then you completely stack the deck in favor of high horsepower vehicles.

The only saving grace, thus far, was the producers letter explaining that this was intended as a Gladiator vs Average Joe affair with the "Gladiators" being the "Rednecks" (Pro-Touring). I wish they would have marketed it as such.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/19/13 6:04 p.m.
DRTHVDR wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: Could be. I'd at least believe that. I can even hear it. "Boy, you swing like a faerie, pack yo E36 M3 and get out."
E46 M3. Everyone's problem with the slapper was that HE was at fault because HE doesn't know a proper race line. He was a full car length behind and bullied his car into a corner he was beat to. Nothing is worse than a incorrect correction.

He wasn't saying E36 M3 he was saying sh*t.

As far as the show goes I doubt there will be a next season seeing how speed is going away.

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
3/19/13 7:07 p.m.

I finally watched it last night, I came away about as I expected, It was car related and that is better than not car related in most cases. I actually knew two people on the episodes last night and neither of them are twats so it can't be that bad. I might watch again, but I won't be setting the DVR if I had one.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xbq5hIsEsaZQBRFobKU1mtbx3tzE7wsCCdY8hLtHJSy94kWyYQJX1JWu27Aa5a6y