fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/6/13 10:35 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: Thanks for the better explination of the slap. I was confused at best by the single picture on Facespace. I still plan to watch the show before making any serious judgements.

I watched the show, but skipped the "serous judgments". Do it that way and it's a lot of fun. At lest I thought so. But then again, I think FSP cars are fun.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/7/13 7:55 a.m.

Bill, it doesn't mention in the rules, but what are the driver clothing requirements ?

drivers suit ( FIA xxxx) ? jeans ? long sleeve shirt ? restriction on shoes ?

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
3/7/13 11:32 a.m.

I watched all three episodes last night. I think having this thread helped me go into it with a more open mind. Yes, the cards are stacked against the imports, but that is the idea. It looks like a lot of fun trying to beat these well prepped domestics. The GTR shows that if equally matched $ wise, imports have the advantage. I will at least watch for the rest of the season.

I think the "slapper" should have been removed from the show completely though. Just canning him for the rest of the day was weak. That was assault and really bad sportsmanship on the redneck side.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/7/13 3:25 p.m.

I saw two episodes a few days ago. I usually will watch any TV show that has vehicles of any kind in it, you know, the premise that bad sex is better than no sex right? Well, I'll chose abstinence in this case.
The host was soo annoying I just couldn't take it any more. And the racing was "real" by definition, but was soo stacked it may as well have been WWF. A nearly stock BMW (by the way, they don't have V-6s) against a six-figure car with is simply not a race. If I show up with my bone-stock classic mini would you run me against a 600 hp Camaro? Sure, we'd really be racing but how much fun would that be?
I also notice that it's not a standing start. Hmmm, so, the rolling start negates the AWD (import) advantage, and the drag race to the finish favors 600+HP (red neck) cars.....
'real racing' by definition, not by execution. The producers can leave it as is and enjoy a season, maybe a season and a half of popularity until the target demographic is bored, or they could make the match-ups close and fun to watch and enjoy multiple seasons of popularity.

The events that Bill is talking about sound like a lot of fun. That's the kind of thing I'd watch more than once and I think lots on here would as well.

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
3/7/13 3:54 p.m.

We had to wear full Race suit, all were the same. We had racing shoes given to us, so wore those too. They had race helmets wired for sound and communication that we used. Yancy(slapper) was removed from show, that is why I drove the Fairlane, that was his car (ill driving too I might add). He couldn't race anymore that week, just watch from sideline. I am stupid, how much is a GT-R anyway?

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/7/13 6:49 p.m.

right at $100k (probably less than the Lamborghini)

sorry Bill, I failed to make myself clear ..

I was asking about Detroit Speed Southern Slam ... do I need my drivers suit, or are blue Jeans and long sleeve cotton shirt ok ( short sleeve even as it is with some sanctioning bodies) ?

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
3/7/13 7:06 p.m.

Long sleeve cotton shirt minimum. I always ask people how important their skin is to them, dress accordingly. Jeans are fine, but I prefer people use at least a race jacket. burns suck. 2005 or newer Snell SA certification on helmet. Again, how important is your brain?

The GT-R was a fine car, nothing wrong with those, I would still rather have my old 72 charger.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/7/13 7:08 p.m.

Will my 5.0 Mazda be thrown out like the V8 RX7

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/7/13 7:09 p.m.
BillHowell wrote: Long sleeve cotton shirt minimum. I always ask people how important their skin is to them, dress accordingly. Jeans are fine, but I prefer people use at least a race jacket. burns suck. 2005 or newer Snell SA certification on helmet. Again, how important is your brain? The GT-R was a fine car, nothing wrong with those, I would still rather have my old 72 charger.

thanks ... as for the car ... I agree ... just not on the track, unless I could spend the amt of money it would take to make it a Trans-Am type of road race car

JDUBB3XOG
JDUBB3XOG
3/9/13 10:46 p.m.

Yancy is an idiot. You invite a kid on your show, stuff him on the inside then assault him after he wins the race? Smooth real smooth.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/10/13 3:55 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Will my 5.0 Mazda be thrown out like the V8 RX7

my bet would be yes ... their rational was that it wasn't an import ... it had american iron under the hood .....

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
3/10/13 8:46 a.m.

TV show, probably, Our American Street Car Series event in Kershaw, S.C. in April--- No. Bring it, those cars are fun.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/10/13 10:22 a.m.

Now I see where you got your "rednecks" and some of the Imports.

I just watched the Ultimate Street Car Invitational.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/10/13 10:47 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Now I see where you got your "rednecks" and some of the Imports. I just watched the Ultimate Street Car Invitational.

This was televised?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/10/13 10:50 a.m.

Its on Speed now

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/10/13 5:31 p.m.
BillHowell wrote:
TV show, probably, Our American Street Car Series event in Kershaw, S.C. in April--- No. Bring it, those cars are fun.

yeah Bill , I was referring to the show ... you've gone out of your way to make me feel welcome ... hope I get a chance to meet you at Kershaw

right now I'm waiting for confirmation of my payment

04trailsti
04trailsti New Reader
3/12/13 2:47 a.m.
steronz wrote:
LopRacer wrote: Slapping is cool now?
To the show's credit, the slapper was disqualified. Watching the show now with the producers' thought's in mind, and fast forwarding through the trash talk, it's a much better show. I actually found myself rooting for the rednecks against the GT-R, and the M3 driver was the Spec E30 National Champ last year, so neither car was terribly disadvantaged. As for the wreck that led to the slap, I grabbed some screenshots: Image 1, Image 2, Image 3. There's not a whole lot to work with, less than a second of footage, but you can see daylight between the two cars in the first frame. I don't see how the Camaro expected to be able to stick the turn. There's a discussion on bimmerforums about the wreck, and the general consensus is that the Camaro was at fault, but the M3 probably would have been more cautious if there hadn't been $10k on the line and 1 lap to win it.

Although I believe Yancy was at fault and there's no way that was really his line. I had the burgundy Childress Mustang do the exact same thing to me, try and out brake me to the inside. I heard him lock up the brakes and I didn't turn in or it would have been the same story. It could have been avoided by both drivers but there's no way Yancy can claim he was on a race line or had the ability to make that turn.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq New Reader
3/12/13 9:32 a.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: I think the "slapper" should have been removed from the show completely though. Just canning him for the rest of the day was weak. That was assault and really bad sportsmanship on the redneck side.

agreed. normally it's hard to let tv get you all worked up when you are busy in the garage but I did catch a couple episodes last night. The slapper yancy (someone here mentioned they were his freind, maybe they will chime in) put 2 tires in the dirt trying to sneak an inside line from that M3 guy, slams his car, slaps him, then says he knows nothing about a proper racing line???? what a joke. He should be removed from the show so he can go to school and learn what a racing line is before making statements like that on tv. lol

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
3/12/13 9:56 a.m.

This was flimed BEFORE the slap. What you see on TV isn't necessary the same time frame as filmed.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq New Reader
3/12/13 10:41 a.m.

I get that, but if thats the case than maybe he should have demonstrated what a proper line is instead of making an ass out of himself and showing the world what a poor driver and poor sport he is. not to mention damaging two cars for no reason other than his own stupidity. He lost the drag race into turn one, Inside or not, it wasn't his line anymore. Putting two wheels off the asphault and playing bumpercars might work on gran turisimo, not in reality. But what would I know about wheel to wheel? i'm just a weekend track day guy. I'd probly be called an autox'r by most standards on here! haha

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
3/12/13 9:03 p.m.

BillHowell, was that your TA in last night episode racing against the M6? I love that car. Gorgeous. Simply a beaut. If that was you, I have to razz you about overbraking turn 1. How many times are the 'rednecks' going to do that on this show?

I am getting a little tired of the track that was picked. It's pretty much a horsepower track with no switchbacks or decreasing radius or double apex corners to really exemplify great handling. Oh well, we all have read from the horses mouth that this was a King of the Pro Touring Cars vs non-American AutoXers.

I still have a red ass about the LSX FD RX-7 being removed for the V8 under the hood. My rotary turbo made more power than my 6.2L. Power is Power regardless of how it's made. Would they have eliminated a Mazda 6 (Fusion chassis) with a Ford V6 and Aldan Eagle Shocks, and stoptech rotors, while driving on Cooper Zeon ZPT tires?

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/12/13 9:13 p.m.
DRTHVDR wrote: I am getting a little tired of the track that was picked. It's pretty much a horsepower track with no switchbacks or decreasing radius or double apex corners to really exemplify great handling.

it's actually a lot better track than what's being shown ... double apexes and everything ... RU is just using the short track ... you should have seen this part of the track ( a couple of yrs ago ) when they did a LeMons race there something like 100 vehicles on that short portion of the track

Mental
Mental PowerDork
3/12/13 11:50 p.m.

After following this thread, I am a bit bummed I am missing this show.

Am I the only one who would love to see a Honger Team out there? The racing would great and they could give the Rednecks a run for out-rednecking them. In the end they whole group would probably all end up around a bonfire (maybe a carfire) sharing the umpteeth case of Natty light.

xFactor
xFactor Reader
3/13/13 6:36 a.m.

It's a good thing us Hongs were not there.

The whole slap thing still makes me angry, even after seeing the episode a few days ago. Yancy is lucky the guy in the M3 was not an unstable short fuse nutter who would have quietly gotten out of his car and bludgeoned him with his helmet. Repeatedly.

later, matt

gimpstang
gimpstang New Reader
3/13/13 12:51 p.m.
xFactor wrote: It's a good thing us Hongs were not there. The whole slap thing still makes me angry, even after seeing the episode a few days ago. Yancy is lucky the guy in the M3 was not an unstable short fuse nutter who would have quietly gotten out of his car and bludgeoned him with his helmet. Repeatedly. later, matt

You just described me! :)

I was there that day (it was during the tryouts day) and I remember thanking the stars that wasn't me because I would have gone monkey crazy on him. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ceBghqn0zZw7xI1If8HBbJ2fxaxrW556auyzZTlrmPjz1Bxhd9OzcaaI8RBWlFZJ