1 2 3
NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
12/6/12 12:21 p.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5966218/ru-faster-than-a-redneck-is-a-real-show-that-will-air-on-tv

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/6/12 12:29 p.m.

Should I tell them the Redneck craze is over?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
12/6/12 12:30 p.m.

Is it wrong that I kind of like this?

When sensible import racers show up I can root for them, and I can root for the rednecks when some yuppie brings his overpriced weiner extension

Heck I'm at the "I'll settle for a warm body" stage with TV shows...

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Reader
12/6/12 12:38 p.m.

It depends on how it's done. The comments seem to indicate that they're stacking the deck heavily toward the rednecks and the muscle cars, but if it were done fairly and with some real discussion about what is working and why- and not realistically expecting that a riced-out four-banger with no 'performance' mods besides Type-R stickers and a fart pipe are going to see anything but a whole lot of tail light when racing a built, race-stripped musclecar on drag slicks- it could be worth watching.

Not that I'll see it anytime except when I'm on business travel since I don't pay for the Speed channel (or any of them, for that matter).

andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/6/12 12:42 p.m.

MTV just did a big redneck reality show here in WV, I'm pretty sure the redneck craze is still alive and kicking

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/12 12:43 p.m.

I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this... I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like “redneck" for your little descriptions or whatever in the discussions....

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/6/12 12:45 p.m.

What if you are a redneck? Are you faster than yourself, also what about citybillys?

lastsnare
lastsnare New Reader
12/6/12 12:53 p.m.

I hope they don't over-dramatize it too much. Like that series they had that was hosted by...I think it was a wrestler... was it Goldberg ?

They had peoples' personal cars that they drove through some kind of obstacle course, and all I remember is that some guy with a newer Mitsubishi Evo X wrecked it on one of the episodes.

Bull Run, that's what it was called.

The details escape me. But, short of pre-judging it before I see it, I hope it's good :)

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/6/12 12:58 p.m.

Looks like CMP. And yeah, also looks like "We took this bone stock WRX and put it up against an American Iron series Camaro with a pro driver, and LOOKEEE WHO WON FANBOIZ!"

steronz
steronz New Reader
12/6/12 1:11 p.m.

I'm not sure I understand what rednecks have to do with $50,000 street/track muscle car builds either. Seems like the deck is stacked.

They COULD have done "Are you faster than a guy in a E36 M3box," and put well-meaning but ignorant supercar and sports car drivers up against some kid in, say, a mildly modified Integra, thus recreating every novice group I ever ran in.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
12/6/12 1:16 p.m.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
12/6/12 1:16 p.m.

i'd rather see geeks with low budget builds, like the 20XX challenge, vs the average supercar owner. that would be entertainment.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/6/12 1:18 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote: It depends on how it's done. The comments seem to indicate that they're stacking the deck heavily toward the rednecks and the muscle cars,

I get that impression. I hate crap like this. Though I assume it will appeal to a lot of people.

Completely agree that it would be a lot more fun to see geeks making stoopid power and speed on low dough than what this is pretending to be.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
12/6/12 1:19 p.m.

At least it's not "America's Next Top Guido".

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
12/6/12 1:24 p.m.

Although it would be cool to see a turbo CRX or drag prepped old beetle blow the doors off of a classic muscle drag car

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/6/12 1:26 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Should I tell them the Redneck craze is over?

it's only jumped the shark if you aren't a redneck

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/6/12 1:27 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
DoctorBlade wrote: Should I tell them the Redneck craze is over?
it's only jumped the shark if you aren't a redneck

Pretty sure that is backwards...

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
12/6/12 1:27 p.m.

The only truth in shows like this is that they're designed to make money. Period. Anything presented as "fact" is highly suspect.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
12/6/12 1:31 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Ashyukun wrote: It depends on how it's done. The comments seem to indicate that they're stacking the deck heavily toward the rednecks and the muscle cars,
I get that impression. I hate crap like this. Though I assume it will appeal to a lot of people. Completely agree that it would be a lot more fun to see geeks making stoopid power and speed on low dough than what this is pretending to be.

Probably like the woman I used to work with who insisted her autotragic '91 'Vette would stomp my sport bike in a drag race.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
12/6/12 1:37 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: What if you are a redneck? Are you faster than yourself, also what about citybillys?

I'd never heard the word citybilly before. Now I know what I am.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/6/12 1:42 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
fidelity101 wrote: What if you are a redneck? Are you faster than yourself, also what about citybillys?
I'd never heard the word citybilly before. Now I know what I am.

BROTHER!!

yeah I'm a citybilly myself

slefain
slefain SuperDork
12/6/12 1:49 p.m.

I used to work with (and for) some of the people on the "Redneck" crew.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/6/12 1:51 p.m.

Most of these "rednecks" aren't anyway.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/6/12 2:05 p.m.

My buddy Yancy Johns is on the show. He's has the blue Fairlane and silver Camaro, which I got an opportunity to drive.

Season was filmed over the course of 3-4 days at CMP.

You can bet that they're playing to the stereotype. But wouldn't you, for the opporunity to be on the show?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/6/12 2:07 p.m.

A "Redneck Racing Show" eh?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PA3KNdvnjDJGbneuU1kbkVzMyqQMXEw48itIxlcuUFV2kTZomoSCq9u010oUvIph