1 2 3
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/2/09 7:45 p.m.

I kinda always wanted a mill, and, whadayaknow, there's one coming up for auction 3 miles from my house. Actually, I think there's 2 or 3 of them. One of the largest tool makers in the country, according to the hype, out of business. Sad, really, and a statement of our economy and country, but I won't go there right now.

So, if I take a day off work and go bid on this thing and win, how do I move it 3 miles? I have a dove tail car hauler, Toyota pickup, shop crane and some chains. How much does a Bridgeport Series II Vertical Mill weigh? Or a Southbend Supermax Titon Series Turrett Mill? If I can get it on my car hauler on its side, I figger I can haul it the 3 miles home. Then I just need to move it from my driveway to my shop, about 50 ft. I can't really back the trailer into my shop because of clearance issues.

I'm assuming I can rig up a 3 phase converter somehow to run the thing, but that's another topic.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/2/09 8:05 p.m.

A google search on 'Bridgeport Series II Vertical Mill weight' seems to indicate they weigh around 5200-5500 lbs, so using a regular old cherry picker to lift it up onto the trailer is out.

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/2/09 8:11 p.m.

You do not DO NOT want to tip it on it's side. It should haul ok on a car hauler of centered over the axels. You need a forklift to move it because it must be lifted from the base. The headstock can be removed to make it less tippy/topheavy. ...Oh yeah, it sucks to be without one when you are used to having one ; )

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
9/2/09 8:15 p.m.

A buddy of mine has one and has moved it twice. The first time he did have a fork lift. The second time he did not. He had some time to tear it down a little and lift the various parts with an engine crane the second time but still had it on a trailer and not much movement beyond 10 feet or so. I don't think anyone will recommend setting it down on it's side.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/2/09 8:24 p.m.

My car hauler has had a duelly Diesel on it before, so that should weight about the same. But from what I understand, they are top heavy, and putting them upright on a car hauler gets scarey on the turns.

Man, this is SO CLOSE, and yet SO FAR.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
9/2/09 8:28 p.m.

I don't know if I would say they are top heavy, but you risk damage to the machine if it's on it's side. Strap it down standing up and you will be much better off. It's not like the base is light. In my limited use and time around those machines, I've never seen one fall over...

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/2/09 8:30 p.m.

I have seen some flatbed trucks with cranes behind the cab... Think they would be able to transport it for you for a decent rate?

YaNi
YaNi Reader
9/2/09 8:41 p.m.

Pay someone. I wouldn't bother without a tow motor and a loading dock.

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
9/2/09 9:19 p.m.

I brought one to my place with a steel deck uhaul trailer and moved it across the shop floor by rolling it on pipes. No forklift needed (or available)

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/2/09 9:25 p.m.

Yeah, my father's got delivered palletized on a liftgate flatbed. We backed it as far into the garage as possible before setting it onto the floor, then used a comealong to get it to the back of the shop. Once there we kind of disassembled the pallet out from under it, leveled the base, then grouted it solid.

I would second the "pay someone professional" advice.

thedude
thedude Reader
9/2/09 9:38 p.m.

2 pallet jacks

walterj
walterj Dork
9/2/09 9:42 p.m.

I seriously looked into this not too long ago and what shook out of that was that I called a local towing company that does big trucks. They could load it onto a flatbed w/o tipping it over and secure it just fine. The local fork truck rental place could get it into my basement from the flatbed where we could locate it on dollys and then set it in place.

The bill was going to be somewhere close to $1k for a 60 mile move.

I still don't have a mill.

What you really need is a friend with a landscaping service ( trailer, backhoe ), a big chain hoist, and a hand truck. That would make it a case of beer, some fuel and a friendly debt to repay.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
9/2/09 10:26 p.m.
blizazer wrote: I brought one to my place with a steel deck uhaul trailer and moved it across the shop floor by rolling it on pipes. No forklift needed (or available)

buy a lathe and turn out some round stock and then roll the mill home like above.

i grew up and learned on a bridgeport. it would be scary to drop it over. also your floor needs to be able to support it too.

bigtoed
bigtoed New Reader
9/3/09 2:33 a.m.

Boy I wish I had pics. I bought a combo horz/vert mill for 100 not including shipping, owner had two forklifts on site. Two forklifts = a pallet jack and a dead electric forklift. had to lift it 3 ft to get it on trailer. Home depot and some "creative ie Egyptian type"labor later we are ready to run the Grapevine. Great Father/Son moment!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/3/09 4:55 a.m.

They are top heavy and without proper equipement very dangerous to move. Call a rigger.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/3/09 7:06 a.m.

Rigger FTW.

If you want to save some $$$, you might be able to convince them to load on their end, if they've still got forklifts running. Then, to unload on your end, look through the paper and find one of those "Back hoe work - $75 / hr" ads. Let them lift it off of your trailer and get it to your doorway. Set it down on pipes as was mentioned. That will let you roll it into place.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
9/3/09 7:23 a.m.

i will try to explain this the best i can.

we got one a few years ago and the guy delivered it for cheap but had an interesting way of doing it. no forklift or heaving lifting required. does take some time to get the materials together though.

basically it was some heavy angle iron the had room to slide under mill between the leveling feet and the base. one on each of the left and right sides. pieces where then run along the front and back that just tied the two side angles together to keep them against the mill base. on two side pieces where rather large casters on a large bolt. you would screw the bolt down and it would lower the caster. doing this evenly raised the mill up. then the guy pushed it around with a large lawn tractor.

hope this helps

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/3/09 7:39 a.m.

With your back, in a sharp, jerking, twisting motion.

Raze
Raze Reader
9/3/09 8:11 a.m.
RossD wrote: With your back, in a sharp, jerking, twisting motion.

HAHAHAHAHA I was thinking the same damn thing, Pea - Tear - Gryphon!

wawazat
wawazat New Reader
9/3/09 8:14 a.m.
RossD wrote: With your back, in a sharp, jerking, twisting motion.

Bitter much?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/3/09 8:50 a.m.

I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen. I don't think I would care to try this myself. And moving it 3 miles is just as hard as moving it 1000 miles. Especially down my driveway. Man, so close.

They also have some industrial bead blasters and a Miller TIG. No lathes, but I already have one of those. I can't really see a home use for a 100 ton press.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/3/09 9:47 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I can't really see a home use for a 100 ton press.

You obviously havent thought long enough.

Could you just buy the building and live there with your new mill?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
9/3/09 9:56 a.m.

Call FedEx? Whatever you decide, we want pictures.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
9/3/09 10:00 a.m.
RossD wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: I can't really see a home use for a 100 ton press.
You obviously havent thought long enough. Could you just buy the building and live there with your new mill?

Always been my dream to buy a factory/warehouse. Renovate the office to live in and have all your toys in the factory part. Indoor garage for everything you own, minimal yardwork, indoor autox.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/3/09 10:18 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I'm starting to think this isn't going to happen. I don't think I would care to try this myself. And moving it 3 miles is just as hard as moving it 1000 miles. Especially down my driveway. Man, so close. They also have some industrial bead blasters and a Miller TIG. No lathes, but I already have one of those. I can't really see a home use for a 100 ton press.

Call a rigging company and ask. Moving a bridgeport is a walk in the park for a proper rigger. 4 hours, even at $100 / hour, is still not bad if the Mill is cheap.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xM3GA5GoivI1v71Yo1Hv3mSPWvXzjnjDwuVFgzEZsgz6ekbZb85H5waLECWaflAn