1 2 3
Wally
Wally SuperDork
9/3/09 10:45 a.m.

How much is renting a forklift. I had one a few years ago for $175 delivered.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/3/09 11:03 a.m.

What is a rigging company? I looked in the yellow pages and don't see anything listed under "rigging" or "riggers." What else would they be called? I'd pay 3-4 bills to get it 3.5 miles.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/3/09 12:30 p.m.

Wikipedia: "A rigger is a person or company that specializes in the lifting and moving of extremely large or heavy objects." You may want to try looking for a millwright if there are no riggers listed in the yellow pages.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
9/3/09 12:36 p.m.
YaNi wrote:
RossD wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: I can't really see a home use for a 100 ton press.
You obviously havent thought long enough. Could you just buy the building and live there with your new mill?
Always been my dream to buy a factory/warehouse. Renovate the office to live in and have all your toys in the factory part. Indoor garage for everything you own, minimal yardwork, indoor autox.

Is there anyone on this board that hasn't wanted a warehouse garage with living quarters in it?

Good luck, Doc. I hope you figure out a way to get it home.

-Rob

Jake
Jake HalfDork
9/3/09 12:59 p.m.

You move a bridgeport mill...

...with the forklift that you also bought at the industrial equipment auction.

If the mill is cheap enough and/or you get a deal on the forklift you cold still come out ahead. Careful, though- I hear a forklift is like a bobcat/skidsteer, once you get one you never want to let it go...

petegossett
petegossett Dork
9/3/09 2:34 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
YaNi wrote:
RossD wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: I can't really see a home use for a 100 ton press.
You obviously havent thought long enough. Could you just buy the building and live there with your new mill?
Always been my dream to buy a factory/warehouse. Renovate the office to live in and have all your toys in the factory part. Indoor garage for everything you own, minimal yardwork, indoor autox.
Is there anyone on this board that hasn't wanted a warehouse garage with living quarters in it? Good luck, Doc. I hope you figure out a way to get it home. -Rob

Does an 8800sq-ft building, including a 1/2-competed 3500sq-ft apartment, and what will eventually be a 30'x40' garage count? Cause, yeah, I'm doin' it! And I'll get pics up next week...

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
9/3/09 2:52 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

But what do I do w/ my wife??

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
9/3/09 3:05 p.m.
Jake wrote: You move a bridgeport mill... ...with the forklift that you also bought at the industrial equipment auction.

Ya know... Jake here has a damn good point...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/3/09 3:06 p.m.

I have a feeling that these converted warehouses happen "Between Wives." I mean, like who HASN'T thought of it?

Pics, Pete.

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/3/09 3:09 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I have a feeling that these converted warehouses happen "Between Wives." I mean, like who HASN'T thought of it? Pics, Pete.

+1 We all want to see that!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/3/09 3:10 p.m.

Sorry to go off topic, but if you want to see the ultimate home shop check out Oldcarguy's place over on the Garage Journal forum: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2122 (it's an 18 page thread, so it will take a while.)

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/3/09 5:02 p.m.

Nabholz Cranes & Rigging

3301 N 2nd St Rogers, AR 72756-6961 (479) 636-5380‎ nabholz.com

http://www.nabholz.com/?page_id=182 <--- rigging page

start there?

Rupunzell
Rupunzell New Reader
9/3/09 6:49 p.m.

Unless one has LOTS of real experience moving machine tools, hire a machine tool moving company and get this done properly. A Bridgeport is not only heavy, they are also fragile at the same time. Drop it and it will not ever be quite the same.

To set the Bridgeport up properly, find a nice SOLID, level concrete slab where this machine can live for a long time. Then, have the machine tool movers set it there. Then it will need to be leveled (this means using jack screws and a proper machinist level) and secure it to the floor.

Hope this one came with LOTS of tooling, otherwise you'll spend far more on tooling than the machine tool easily.

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
9/3/09 7:52 p.m.

i might as well add this,, you DO have 3 phase, 220 volt electric power in your garage??

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
9/3/09 8:14 p.m.

1st time i moved my bridgeport was in the back of my 69 bronco with 4x4's stuffed in the spring to frame so it couldn't squat....fork trucked in to the bronco and over head chain falled it out. Second time used small trailer and rolled it on pipes 3/4 black iron pipe. I got a 20+ ft section and cut it up in 3 ft sections used a pry bar to lift the front slide one under then rolled the mill just to the tip point and had a freind hang on the back while i stuffed a second under the front and rolled it sliping the next one under. Used a come-a-long to get it up the trailer ramps. reverce to get it off. theres an eye bolt in the center of the head stock do not use it to lift the whole mill! its only for the head stock, try it you'll break the spider under the base. I've got a spare spider why i don't know...

Make your own 3 phase inverter with any 1 hp 3 phase motor just google diy rotory converter

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/3/09 8:25 p.m.

Got an email from a friend in Chicago. He recently moved 2 of them 6 miles. He called a towing service and they did it with flat beds and a fork lift for $150. This may be doable.

44, I don't think my Toyota Truck would be up to that, but I think it might pull the car hauler with it. I think I'll be a lot better off subbing this job out.

Iggy, I'll call those people tomorrow and see what they say.

My slab is plenty stout. The perimeter beam is 24" because that's the smallest bucket my dozer guy had.

I have 220, of course, but I'll worry about the 3 phase when the thing is here. There are ways around that.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe New Reader
9/14/09 10:17 a.m.

Seriously just hire someone, mine was like ~450$ for a 15 mile move, including pickup and dropoff.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/14/09 10:22 a.m.

Auction is tomorrow. I'm taking off work. I got a really rough ballpark quote from the place iggy found of five bills. At least I know what I'm dealing with. I can go with that.

walterj
walterj Dork
9/14/09 10:26 a.m.

I have nothing to add except that I just spotted (last week) a guy on the PA turnpike moving a massive lathe in an F-350 long bed dually. It looked ridiculous sticking out the back and way up over the cab... but the truck looked like it was doing it OK... even though the CG looked to be about 9' above the road.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
9/14/09 12:06 p.m.
blizazer wrote: I brought one to my place with a steel deck uhaul trailer and moved it across the shop floor by rolling it on pipes. No forklift needed (or available)

That's how my friend moved his as well. Used a bottle jack to get the pipes under it, then a winch to pull it along as he moved pipes from the back to the front.

A few concrete anchors and a bumper mount receiver hitch and the winch was secured to the floor (receiver mount winch) to pull it back off the trailer.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/15/09 11:59 a.m.

Well, two Bridgeport mills each went for $1800. That was about $700 more than I wanted to spend. They were in good shape, in use 4 weeks ago. Oh well. There'll be others. Most of the stuff went for pretty good prices. I'd say about what you could buy them for on eBay whenever you wanted to. A few bargains like a surface grinder for $200, but that's about it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
9/15/09 12:41 p.m.

wow bummer...at least youve got a contact for moving machines when you do find something you can afford.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
9/15/09 1:16 p.m.

Darn. I was really hoping you'd get one.

E- (living vicariously, again)

gpskibum
gpskibum
11/2/09 3:24 p.m.

It is not that difficult with some planning. You can usually get it loaded onto a trailer where you buy it. When we unloaded we planned ahead and installed a steel beam overhead with a chain lift on a trolly. You could buy, rent or make an A-frame to lift it off the trailer, then drive the trailer out and lower it to ground. Just place some 1/2 " steel rod down (as other have suggested) to roll it around on and a couple of guys can easily get it into position. If you think you are putting this into a basement then you are on your own for ideas unless it has a door big enough to drive a trailer into.

Good luck!

gostopturn
gostopturn New Reader
11/2/09 6:15 p.m.

i can tell you how not to move it. my mill wasn't as big as yours, in the 2000 lb range. what you don't want to do is lift it off the trailer with welded link chain. the chain breaks and the mill falls right over. the mill then lays broken in the middle of the garage for a couple months untill you can find a way to get it off the garbage cans and out into the driveway. several more months go by untill you can find somone to buy it for scrap and haul it off. i bought it really cheap though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PqNSDNMhb0jbM17MOLQzH6k9AYgAxCEuw524UbNw0XeZb2TJSISJV6lXpUG7WCC9