1 2
Raze (Forum Supporter)
Raze (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/13/20 10:00 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Raze (Forum Supporter) :

dude, *i* puckered watching it on my laptop!  8-|

The thought ran through my head at the time...if I make it out of this, let's not do that again

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 10:05 a.m.
Raze (Forum Supporter) said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

dude, *i* puckered watching it on my laptop!  8-|

The thought ran through my head at the time...if I make it out of this, let's not do that again

I'm like 127... 128... brake, no 129... brake no 130 BRAKEBRAKEBRAKE

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
7/13/20 10:09 a.m.

hehe, be careful, I went 4 off at 10b once doing that. In a rental car!

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/13/20 10:56 a.m.

That's good driving for someone who was just in novice groups a few months ago. 10a is actually a good place to test limits on that track.  12 and 1, not so much. 

Raze (Forum Supporter)
7/13/20 11:30 a.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

That's good driving for someone who was just in novice groups a few months ago. 10a is actually a good place to test limits on that track.  12 and 1, not so much. 

12 I don't mess with, I've watched a lot of incidents there and the margin for error is very low.  1 I've spent some time learning off line as I've had the good fortune of half a dozen different instructors in all types of cars and I try and soak up as much as they'll give and 1 is where they all disagree which is good for me.

morello159
morello159 Reader
7/13/20 2:49 p.m.

Watching this makes me wish my car had ABS. I'm entering 10a at about 128mph in my Miata and I don't trust it braking that late! The lack of aero also makes it a little unstable at that speed. 

I missed you by a couple weeks.

https://youtu.be/-llyxgzE3TA?t=113

Raze (Forum Supporter)
7/13/20 8:23 p.m.
morello159 said:

Watching this makes me wish my car had ABS. I'm entering 10a at about 128mph in my Miata and I don't trust it braking that late! The lack of aero also makes it a little unstable at that speed. 

I missed you by a couple weeks.

https://youtu.be/-llyxgzE3TA?t=113

I love your line, I had a NASA Spec E30 instructor tell me there is no turn 2, thought he was nuts until he showed me... you are carrying really good speed through corners and making it look easy, that is a tight setup you have there.  PM me maybe I can follow sometime smiley

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/13/20 9:21 p.m.

Thanks for posting that!  Looks like a fun car.  What TW are the stock tires?  Because if they're run-flat, they're probably the weak link at this point, no?

Raze (Forum Supporter)
7/13/20 10:52 p.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

Thanks for posting that!  Looks like a fun car.  What TW are the stock tires?  Because if they're run-flat, they're probably the weak link at this point, no?

300, yes the tires and pads are the weak link now but I don't want to go up to slicks yet, I'm going to try a slightly more aggressive pad as Im comfortable where the abs kicks on now and I want to change one thing per event to minimize variables as I learn, figure it's safer that way...I hope smiley

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/14/20 7:09 a.m.
Raze (Forum Supporter) said:
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

300, yes the tires and pads are the weak link now but I don't want to go up to slicks yet, I'm going to try a slightly more aggressive pad as Im comfortable where the abs kicks on now and I want to change one thing per event to minimize variables as I learn, figure it's safer that way...I hope smiley

Both will make a huge difference, particularly with a "heavy" car.  Of course, that means both will get expensive really quickly.  There are some 200 TW tires out there that will make a world of difference, but, if you are driving to and from the track on them, it might get dicey if it starts to rain.  This is the slippery slope, so to speak, that ended up with a trailer and truck parked in my back yard!

Raze (Forum Supporter)
7/14/20 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah I'm trying to avoid the tow vehicle, I figure that would also give me an excuse to push harder lol

BLRB
BLRB New Reader
7/15/20 12:14 p.m.

How is this car on tires and brakes at the track?  I'm looking at V6 1LE's currently.

Also, how is the transmission?  I've driven a TR6060 and liked it, but didn't know how close the TR3160 is to it.  I was only able to test drive an auto V6 and will have to travel at least 2 hours to test drive a manual V6.

Raze (Forum Supporter)
7/16/20 8:27 a.m.

In reply to BLRB :

Rotors have 18k on them and are lipping but fine, Stock front pads (same as SS) i'm going through 5% per 4x20minute session, stock rear pads probably 10% (stock V6 Camaro with more bias) at Road Atlanta (i've got the little pad calipers I measure start and end every day so my numbers are pretty close).  Front tires are around 10%, rears around 5% per 4x20 minute session.  So what i'm finding is the V6 eats front tires and rear pads, which is good as those are much cheaper to replace.  I've been buying SS take-off Goodyear runflats for around $300 a full set with 90% tread on them, and rear Ferodo set run $150, fronts i'm going to try to use PowerStop Track Pads next as they look similar spec wise to the Ferodos but are about 1/3 the price and if i can get 1/2 the usage out of it i'm ahead. I flush brake fluid every event with Motul600, but really only need to push about 1 quart per GTE recommendation.  I put in 0-40w and will change it end of season but i don't drive the car on the street much/at all.

Raze (Forum Supporter)
10/12/20 9:41 p.m.

Atlanta Motorsports Park weekend, check.

Fun facts, the Camaro handles ok on grass...don't want to do that again lol.

The new powestop pads cause tires to start locking faster than stock pads so modulation is easier and braking effort, still no fade.

AMP is murder on tires and brakes on a big car, this course definatley felt tight for the Camaro, would not want to go on anything tighter.

This was best lap, I really need to work on technique and get off the traction control, so I definitely was on the limit a lot more on this course which was good to feel things out.

Anyway, I'll try to post a session up on the tube later.

Raze (Forum Supporter)
10/12/20 10:35 p.m.
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) said:

Question:  where are you buying the SS takeoff tires?

FB marketplace, Craigslist, Camaro6 forum

Raze (Forum Supporter)
10/12/20 10:39 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) :

Do it, thrash it at the track and don't feel bad about overtaking much faster cars in the corners, just don't be disappointed when the walk you on the straights smiley

Raze (Forum Supporter)
9/19/21 2:24 p.m.

Been a while, still stock except the track alignment and power stop track pads in the front.  Working on my heel toe and now I get it, you can go a lot faster without much effort.  Before I was on the edge and relying on traction control, now it feels easier and slower but I'm turning faster laps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u4Oy1Wc070gQpMRPNIjbKKaz2oaarK6urzaQzgerr3E45mhFnlWiMfV7YHNL8pEg