noddaz
noddaz Dork
10/26/13 1:42 p.m.

So I buy some used parts for my Jetta. Specifically some strut and stress bars. Before I install the rear stress bar I take a close look at it. Wow. It really looks like two muffler clamps welded to a section of tubing and painted black. Just maybe I can make one for the other VW...

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/26/13 2:09 p.m.

They look super easy to fab. Always thought that would be a good side business to start, haven't built one yet tho. Was going to fab a strut tower brace for the S197 but found a new powder coated CM, twin tube, 4-hole flange mount for a buck twenny nine. Hard to duplicate that for the money.

Post build pics when you fab yours... interesting.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/26/13 2:40 p.m.

I made one for the rear of mt A2 GTI years ago and all I used were two muffler clamps and some scrap square tube. Easy peasy.

noddaz
noddaz Dork
10/27/13 8:24 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I made one for the rear of mt A2 GTI years ago and all I used were two muffler clamps and some scrap square tube. Easy peasy.

That is what I was thinking... I need an excuse to run my welder anyway...

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
10/27/13 8:58 a.m.

I've bought a few $5 units from the salvage yards over the years. Its good to start with decent looking hardware and ends (and make your own mounting points).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iy6lCO15WAe2bOGgtnjFTYlunSopptubCGafgjpZZjmPxj0irrtd0VRFTSxF4s5z