3 4 5
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/16/15 6:37 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

I think a TH400 might lock in 2nd stock, just select "2" and done.

rcutclif
rcutclif HalfDork
3/17/15 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

That's what I was thinking, that's what I would do for auto-x. I don't know if it is specifically a possibility for this trans or not though. (looks like that shifter in the pic has like a hundred different positions... so maybe?)

I know there are lots of kits that will stiffen the shifts, but I would wager that hard shifts are the opposite of what you would want to happen while you are in the middle of a fast slalom...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/17/15 10:26 a.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Pattern should be PRND2L, the question is whether "2" is just 2nd, or a 1-2 mode.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/17/15 9:21 p.m.

I just joined the cheap jag club but I got half as many cylinders

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
3/18/15 5:52 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: I know there are lots of kits that will stiffen the shifts, but I would wager that hard shifts are the opposite of what you would want to happen while you are in the middle of a fast slalom...

No you want the fast, firm shifts so that when you shift it, it shifts instantly. You simply don't shift it in the middle of a fast slalom or tight corner. My V8 RX7 used a shift-kitted AOD behind it's 302 for autocrossing and that fast shifting was part of it's success.

GeorgeWalton
GeorgeWalton New Reader
3/18/15 8:17 p.m.

I was able to slip in a quick hour or so of work this afternoon. I heard the car run very briefly when I looked at it, but today I was able to swap in the spare tire (found a little surprise in the way of KYB shocks), start it and let it run for a few minutes to make sure nothing REALLY bad would happen. All went well. Then I shifted it into gear and absolutely nothing happened when I stepped on the gas. I thought to myself "here we go". However after taking a friends advice and adding 2 quarts of transmission fluid despite an acceptable reading on the dipstick, it actually shifted into drive and I was able to do a small walking speed victory lap around the parking lot. I guess there must have been an air pocket or something giving a false reading on the dipstick. After taking a second reading, it can probably take another quart. Steering was very vague and the brakes are very spongy, but man is that engine smooth. I think it is safe to say it is alive again. However, sir Lucas is also alive and well. The only thing that appeared to be working from that perspective is the oil pressure gauge, and the driver side power window. I didn't get to any of the lights. Now it is time to start cleaning and organizing a plan of attack. There is a slight chance I may even be able to drive it a bit as the build is happening. I'll get some more pics up after it gets a proper bath.

GeorgeWalton
GeorgeWalton New Reader
3/22/15 1:46 p.m.

That was 3 hours well spent (just the outside). I don't think it had been washed in years. Literally. The clear coat is shot, but man these are good looking cars. Its one of the few cars that I have owned that is a pleasure to wash. Something about the combination of curves and long straight lines that just feels good to run your hands down.

Before: Before2 After after"

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
3/22/15 6:42 p.m.

In reply to GeorgeWalton:

Looks really good!

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
3/22/15 7:43 p.m.

Doubled the value just by washing it alone! Looks great so far!!

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
3/22/15 8:31 p.m.

This might help, Jaguar wiring diagram. Dad had a V-12 XKE, wow what a sound that thing made, not as good a car as the series one straight six one he had though. How hard is it to find a turbo 400 tranny, just find an old Cadillac

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UXJfR2oGMtKerYQdrrP1sSgDR7UHOdqPo4FOjx7MMpNcmbXgNEcZjOxx9ZYVJsFy