1 2 3 4
Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
11/19/13 9:50 a.m.

What are you guys talking about. It's actually a pretty sweet deal, I get to work 60+ hours a week, get to ride my bike for a couple hours every other Sunday and get enough money so I can buy a six pack once every two weeks. In return I don't have to do any laundry

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
11/19/13 9:54 a.m.

I do the laundry and get to buy/race cars. It's worth it. Besides, I get to play with my wife's undies. What's not to like about that?

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
11/19/13 10:00 a.m.

Acquire an old fixer-upper motorcycle and establish a monthly budget of parts?

shrugs

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
11/19/13 10:33 a.m.

I don't even know where the laundry room is

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 10:36 a.m.
OSULemon wrote: Acquire an old fixer-upper motorcycle and establish a monthly budget of parts? *shrugs*

Doesn't fit the whole no wheels/motor criteria.

Honestly I'm ok with the break. I still have the bike to play around with and I don't drive her crazy with all my wants.

What this is really about is the excitement and anticipation of what the next project will be. Hopefully I'll have a plan and a budget.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
11/19/13 10:44 a.m.

Thats not a break. That is 5 years of your life away from what you love to do.

I am going to work on the "owned-by-my-wife-crapcan-racecar" tonight. She approves of the Turbo swap.

Obviously, we are hearing one side of the story. I suppose it is possible that you do, in fact, have a problem that this may be a good idea. However, if that is the case, that would be like an alcoholic quitting drinking for 5 years. It just seems weird to me.

Whatever ends up happening, good luck!

P.S. G-bodies are somewhat frustrating. I think because they are wayy too heavy!

Rob R.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/19/13 10:44 a.m.

I do the laundry... the cooking(she burns water)... the shopping...

To the OP.... why are you being denied?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/19/13 11:00 a.m.

Five years with no projects? Blow that noise, she can GTFO. You're insane, and not in a good way. Sorry buddy, but somebody has to tell you.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/19/13 11:03 a.m.

2nd gen S10/Sonoma with a turbo v6, and IRS...I want it so bad I can taste it in my dreams

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 11:05 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I do the laundry... the cooking(she burns water)... the shopping... To the OP.... why are you being denied?

She doesn't understand my obsession with cars. She doesn't know why I can't just pick a car and be satisfied. She believes any money spent besides basic maintenance is completely wasted. I'm tired of fighting about it. She thinks I'll never be happy...

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 11:11 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: 2nd gen S10/Sonoma with a turbo v6, and IRS...I want it so bad I can taste it in my dreams

Ooh, tell me more

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/19/13 11:30 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: I do the laundry... the cooking(she burns water)... the shopping... To the OP.... why are you being denied?
She doesn't understand my obsession with cars. She doesn't know why I can't just pick a car and be satisfied. She believes any money spent besides basic maintenance is completely wasted. I'm tired of fighting about it. She thinks I'll never be happy...

Well not with that attitude you won't.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/19/13 11:31 a.m.

Maybe we should call our partners (not everybody has a wife) TWMBKH (Twombicks) short for Those Who Must Be Kept Happy.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/19/13 11:34 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Five *years* with no projects? Blow that noise, she can GTFO. You're insane, and not in a good way. Sorry buddy, but somebody has to tell you.
nicksta43 wrote: Honestly I'm ok with the break.

This ^^^^ makes me think otherwise. Maybe he came to her for help, frustrated by his own project ADD and his failures to complete them. Maybe he asked her to help support him in trying to break what he saw as a bad habit. Or, maybe she's just a controlling bitch.

Truth is probably somewhere in between. Hard to tell from where I'm sitting, and he probably knows the situation better than I do. The important point to remember is that he says he's OK with it.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
11/19/13 11:46 a.m.

yea, but this is GRM.

You are not allowed to be okay with this.

The more projects you have and the less complete the projects are, the better off you are.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
11/19/13 11:47 a.m.

To me a completed project is like a finished puzzle. Just something pretty to look at that no longer interests me.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/19/13 11:55 a.m.
nicksta43 wrote:

None of us know YOUR particular situation... so we are all Lucy peddling our nickels worth.....

Hmmmm... what DOES she spend $$ on that isn't basic??

Denying yourself really solves nothing, and frequently can cause serious issues between you two later on... like resentment, and petty bickering

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/19/13 11:56 a.m.

Well this makes me feel pretty lucky. SMWBO bought my RX7 for me as a present when she told me I couldn't put a full cage in the Miata.

She even lets me keep my balls on the mantle where I can see them every day.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
11/19/13 12:24 p.m.

I know the loophole....

If its FREE, your not BUYING anything.

This truth shall set you FREE

See, I got an old motorcycle for the price of "get it out of my yard"

It all begins there... you can trade your way up. You know, the whole trading from a paperclip to a porsche story.

That said, I can't acquire much of anything right now because apartments suck and I want to get my stuff away from my moms house, not put more stuff there.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
11/19/13 12:31 p.m.

In the original posters defense, I did bow out of doing silly things with cars voluntarily for 8 years or so to pursue the fine art of being a good dad/husband when we had a pile of babies around the house. My wife didn't ask me to do it, I just realized it was time to back off. Sometimes this sort of thing does makes sense.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
11/19/13 1:09 p.m.

I keep a spreadsheet that adds up all costs for vehicles, including money made on part-outs. As long as the costs are under control, we're both happy - as long as she can take the Porsche out when she wants.
We did, in fact, trade our way from a $1200 E30 to (6 years later) a 964 with issues. You can use the hobby to make money on the side to help fund it - if you don't mind spending the time on it. Now, with two little ones (1 1/2 and 3 1/2), I spend very little time on it - and I'm ok with that. Especially since I finally found the time to fix the heat on the 964 last night!

Type Q
Type Q Dork
11/19/13 4:47 p.m.

At the suggestion of someone on this message board, a few years ago my wife and I set up a separate bank account that is the "Hobby Fund". Once per year we negotiate how much money goes into the account and that is mine to do whatever I want with. Anything I sell hobby related goes into account. Anything I buy hobby related is paid for from the account. It keeps her happy because it puts a clear cap on how much of the household income is used by my hobbies.

The other thing we negotiated is the garage is mine. With no yard to park extra vehicles in, that puts a limit on the amount of space my hobby take up as well.

Pseudonym
Pseudonym New Reader
11/19/13 4:53 p.m.

Thankfully, the future fiance and I have already worked out that I am allowed to play with my guitars and my cars as much as I want to. Mostly because I'm extremely reasonable with them, and the guitars really only make money.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/19/13 4:55 p.m.

This thread didn't go the way I thought it would.

The issue is not about money or space or time. She just flat doesn't get it. I think I went through five or six different vehicles in our first two years of marriage. I think I've only had five or six in the last nine years, so I have slowed way down. My toy money does not come out of the family budget.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/19/13 5:01 p.m.

Does she HAVE to get it?

Mine loves horses. I don't get it. Doesn't mean I keep her from it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q8D8TXsKCJji2QJrOeDh2Og0ZXxAVbbCR5vvukW7qBR4IIOwAEngNDb1XYgqMpXN