LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/12/12 8:50 p.m.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/679211-88-924s-trailex-de-car.html

Things I like:

Sounds like it is pretty sorted

Porsche, so I can join the PCA

RWD

Includes a trailer

What gives me qualms:

Price feels a little high, but I honestly don't really know

Would prefer an enclosed trailer

Don't timing belts on these things go bang and brake stuff just for fun?

Roll bar instead of a roll cage (I have a somewhat expensive brain, and the rest of I'd like to keep work ok as we'll)

Thoughts, opinions, alternatives? I'm looking more for specific actually for sale examples of what else I should look for rather than "Get a Miata" or "Get an E30".

What would be about perfect is a car already stripped with a cage where the deal includes an enclosed trailer I can tow with my Dad's E-150 and it's 7500 towing capacity.

Am I on the right track for a dedicated autocross/HPDE car that I can safely learn in?

ps - open to fwd or rwd

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/12/12 9:25 p.m.

$9,700 does seem fairly steep for a 924S. That is 951 money.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/12/12 10:03 p.m.

I like the trailer, but join the club, get a dirt track car. They come with a free box of Busch.

Luke
Luke UberDork
6/12/12 10:23 p.m.

Does seem a little expensive. IIRC, Salanis sold his 924S spec-racer with full cage etc. and trailer for similar money.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
6/12/12 11:36 p.m.

Belts aren't too bad anymore, just pay attention to maintenance schedules, tension the belt properly and buy good quality parts.

For that much money, I'd expect a full cage. Otherwise they are great track cars, run great in ITS or Spec-944.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/12 11:57 p.m.

Ha, I was looking at the same ad earlier today.

johnnytorque
johnnytorque Reader
6/13/12 5:25 a.m.

Other than the lack of power, I'm not sure there are any better track cars than the 924/944. That one looks like it has all the right parts already but the price is high for a 924. I built mine for half that without the trailer.

I was at Mosport with mine at a PCA DE this past weekend and kept hunting down much faster cars in the corners. A new 991, many 911 turbos incl. an S and even a GT3 in corner 5. I was on street tires(Kumho Ecsta LE) and had no issues leaving the rear engined cars behind. When the back straight came up, I got smoked, but man do 944's handle. By far the most forgiving, easy car to drive fast I've ever owned.

Make him an offer, as long as you don't mind working on your cars, you won't regret it.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/13/12 6:18 a.m.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3074246516.html
The other letter "P" but no cheaper.
Just something I stumbled across.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
6/13/12 6:57 a.m.

You can find a bunch of dedicated track car/ IT race cars in that price range. Either find a model you are fond of that may or may not be competitive, or look for something competitive that you may or may not be fond of. I have a TR8 track car because I love TR8s and they are a blast to drive fast, not because it is the most cost effective competitive car in it's class. I also have a BMW 2002 vintage racer because it is a very competitive cost effective car in it's class, not because I like it all that much. I just wanted a vintage car and that seemed like an easy way in. FWIW, I'd sell you either one of my cars for that price, along with a ton of spares.

Argo1
Argo1 Reader
6/13/12 7:48 a.m.

I owned an 88 924S for many years and they are fun cars. The 88 is the best model year ( uprated engine, aluminum trailing arms, etc.) but that is really strong money unless it is a Club Sport - which it isn't. I would encourage a Porsche and the timing belt thing is really no big deal and common to a lot of cars. For the price of this car you could get many other Porsches. Maybe a 944 Turbo or a 944 S2 like I have now.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
6/13/12 7:56 a.m.

If you're looking for something (no trailer) that is a project, though not a big one, shoot me a PM. I'll give you a hint, goes like hell.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
6/13/12 7:57 a.m.

That's a $2500 car sitting on a $1000 trailer. For the pair, I'd pay $3000 tops. For $9000, you can buy a spec Miata and go racing.

asoduk
asoduk New Reader
6/13/12 8:51 a.m.

Despite what others are saying, I think it looks like a pretty good deal. Ask to see the receipts and you'll understand more. Coil overs, torsion bars, the good transaxle, wilwoods (although I never thought stock 944 brakes were not enough), wheels, tires all seem like a pretty solid package. The trailer is worth $2500. If you like 924s and are looking for one to take to the track, this is it. It would cost A LOT more to build it.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/13/12 9:06 a.m.

I agree it sounds steep, but chances are good he's got 2x that into it... I'd need additional info about the roll-bar. TT legal? Does it have some sort of head-light delete/relocation kit?

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
6/13/12 9:28 a.m.

The suspension (aside from the Wilwoods) is pretty similar to the Spec944 parts and not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. CIP1.com has cheap 28mm torsion bars, adjustable perches are cheap/easy to find and install (the front suspension shares similarities with the MK1 Rabbits), etc.

The engine rebuild is worth something.

Its a 944 in a more sleek body, what's not to love?

Modify the header panel to accept Carrera GT headlights and you can drive it on the street without a significant gain in weight/complexity.

I'm not entirely sure it is worth the money without a full cage, but it is a very nice car that would be a great start for a track toy/Solo II car.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/13/12 7:57 p.m.

Hmm, seems like the typical GRM response, some "that's not worth a wooden nickel" and some "seems reasonable", which probably means that the truth is somewhere in between.

The biggest issue right now is that I don't really have somewhere to keep it.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/13/12 8:18 p.m.

So where do you guys look for this stuff? Racing junk? Scca forums? eBay, Craigslist? Anything better?

asoduk
asoduk New Reader
6/15/12 12:40 p.m.

If this car is at the 944Fest this weekend, I'll check it out and report my findings.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/15/12 12:51 p.m.

I don't know... $9700 for an aluminum trailer, new motor with fresh LSD, clutch and all... nice suspension, seats, rollbar and extra wheels w/ 3 sets of tires

If all of that turns out to be true and decent - it's fair for a turn-key track/DE car. It's not cheap - but everything you are likely to want done is already done (except a full cage). Offer $8700 and see if he bites.

Add that up in your head and ask if you could do better starting with a $500 924.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
6/15/12 1:14 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I don't know... $9700 for an aluminum trailer, new motor with fresh LSD, clutch and all... nice suspension, seats, rollbar and extra wheels w/ 3 sets of tires If all of that turns out to be true and decent - it's fair for a turn-key track/DE car. It's not cheap - but everything you are likely to want done is already done (except a full cage). Offer $8700 and see if he bites. Add that up in your head and ask if you could do better starting with a $500 924.

This is my thinking, I would be all over it if it had a cage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mdAGWp8v4ctuxduKhTj1qI6YZBfUg3CmfGEHg7mp5nSDWh3XPcaiGFqNDXvzM5F