z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/28/13 8:03 a.m.

Yes, get your ride height set first. The car does gain camber the lower you go.

I have a freak of an NA, or bent control arms on both sides. At my current ride height the alignment tech had no problem getting me -3.0 up front (max available was 3.8!)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/28/13 9:00 a.m.

As long as the perches are in roughly the same spots on the shocks, you should be okay. It's possible to have really messed up cornerweights and a level ride height, but you have to try.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/28/13 9:27 a.m.

You could try one of these. Not exactly cheap but a lot less $ than scales and purported to be "close enough for gubbmint work". I've never tried one but it gets honorable mention in Smith's Tune To Win book:

Deco Wheel load checker @ speedwaymotors.com for $179

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
5/28/13 1:02 p.m.

Message sent Re: I have a wheel load checker

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
5/28/13 8:57 p.m.

Anyone use one of the checkers vs the scales? Would be handy to play with things (weight dist) at the track.

jere
jere Reader
5/28/13 10:43 p.m.
dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
5/29/13 6:58 a.m.

A friend of ours that raced with us a couple of times is a master of corner weighting Miata's. I have not seen him in a coupe years but when I was crew chief for our team all the drivers were raving about how much better the car was after he was done messing with the corner weights. I can ask a friend for his name and number if you are interested. PM me or email me if you want me to pursue it further.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/29/13 8:11 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

Whomever did that to those wheels need to be punished.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/29/13 8:26 a.m.
Wonkothesane wrote:
jere wrote: There is always corner weighting with sheets of paper and a calculator
Like a pauper!? Pah, sir, I now am part of an elite class that can look down on the non-specialty-tool-using-to-measure-things unwashed masses. I scoff at your suggestion! Actually, that's pretty cool. Obviously, it wouldn't be very accurate for how weight, but it could be fine for consistency/balance, which is all that really matters. Dean - I would love to talk to someone that knows what the heck they're doing, if you don't think he would mind!

A magazine website posted a useful guide a while back. It might help to get you started if you are not familiar with the procedure.

GRM: Understanding Corner Weights

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/29/13 8:27 a.m.

I think a sawzall would be the poor man's corner weight substitute.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
5/29/13 8:46 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I think a sawzall would be the poor man's corner weight substitute.

Also see: Shotgun.

Leafy
Leafy New Reader
5/29/13 11:52 a.m.

Flatout motorsports, or apex auto engineering are both miata shops in the area that have corner scales and alignment rigs. I know Lester at apex charges $130 for a corner weight an alignment, and he'll align you perfectly to your spec to the accuracy of the laser rig, if you say -2.5* of camber, thats what you'll get.

Otherwise Lester told me on almost every normal miata with the normal 1/2" rake that the passenger side front will be ~1/4" higher than the drivers side front after corner weighting.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
5/29/13 1:16 p.m.

I will ask my friend and see if he ahs the contact info and see what his deal is. I think he does race car suspension tuning for a living but I am not sure. Give me a day or three and if I don't get back to you BUG ME. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
5/29/13 1:18 p.m.

I can vouch for Lester at Apex. Stand up guy who knows his .. . . .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DJgd8kF83WH5Oi3zoO2A7nISUpF0Qv5vvCtgAnsoRmFUq8GUYrkkeWHWufN1hwdh