1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/24/16 6:19 p.m.

In my pursuit to replace my x type I was thinking that a mini van with a bit of mods to it could be a cool ride.

My quick list would be to lower it and update the wheels to properly fill the arches. While i am there widen the wheels a bit. Update the suspension to get rid of the usual body roll and make cornering fun. I am not looking for race car handling but something that you can have a little bit of fun with.

Both the stopping and the power would want to be upgraded. Again think fun street not race.

Anyway what I am looking for is what platform to start with? I would prefer to be in the early 2000's or older as they are now emissions exempt here in MA.

Or just post up photos for some inspiration.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
2/24/16 6:24 p.m.

How mini?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/24/16 6:29 p.m.

XJR

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/24/16 6:31 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: XJR

Have you been emailing my wife? That I what she wants me to get.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/24/16 6:37 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

It's what I want you to get too.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/24/16 6:40 p.m.

This is getting close to what I am thinking.

codrus
codrus Dork
2/24/16 6:40 p.m.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
2/24/16 6:41 p.m.

So your wife wants you to get an xjr but you...want a ...mini van? Are you feeling okay?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/24/16 6:43 p.m.

for all the traveling he does for work.. I think a minivan might not be a bad choice.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/24/16 6:44 p.m.

Go with the xjr. Signed a 2 minivan owner

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
2/24/16 6:45 p.m.

I'd start with the Mazda5 or Mazda MPV. They'll give you a real head start on great handling, as they're pretty darn good for a minivan in factory trim. Also available with a 5 speed.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/24/16 6:47 p.m.

Ah, there's only one answer here:

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
2/24/16 6:48 p.m.

I keep thinking about what to get when my lease is up in September, and every time I'm trolling craigslist - for a classic Saab, a new minivan, or a Volvo - you all go and remind me of the XJR.

You guys are great.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
2/24/16 6:52 p.m.

Mazda 5 all day loooooooooong.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/24/16 6:52 p.m.

The first gen Honda Odyssey is basically a tall Accord. They drive nice. Parts are cheap. They look very nice lowered just a bit. Manual swaps are even documented as are quick easy single turbo's. Will seat six or seven depending on which seats you get. The back row folds flat into the floor. I seriously seriously loved mine.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/24/16 7:11 p.m.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/24/16 7:30 p.m.

An 04-05 Odyssey is a REALLY good vehicle and honestly isn't far from being fun to drive to begin with. I put a timing belt on one recently and was actually really happy with the induction noise when the VTEC kicks in (stock intake even) and with the 80-105mph acceleration, even.

Also the timing belt wasn't bad either.

As an owner of a 13 second and a 14 second 1/4 mile pair of minivans, i firmly believe you can have plenty of fun in a minivan. Although, i actually wouldn't recommend any dodge van old enough to be emissions exempt for driving fun unless you are willing to double the power yourself. They don't come with anything remotely exciting under the hood until at least '08 unless you count the 89-90 factory turbo vans.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/24/16 7:38 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: XJR
Have you been emailing my wife? That I what she wants me to get.

We exchange pictures.

Seriously, stop fighting it. Get the xjr.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/24/16 7:51 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: My quick list would be to lower it and update the wheels to properly fill the arches. While i am there widen the wheels a bit. Update the suspension to get rid of the usual body roll and make cornering fun. I am not looking for race car handling but something that you can have a little bit of fun with. Both the stopping and the power would want to be upgraded. Again think fun street not race.

With what you wrote above, you are completely "in my head" right now becasue I am working toward the same goal. I think I have worked out what is needed but the really hard part for me is keeping this under $2016.

Since the Challenge issue arrived, the wheels in my head have really begun to spin. Just this week I have had two in-depth conversations on this project and still have to hold another with a board member who is a "brand subject expect."

I will not yet disclose my chassis of choice yet but it has not yet been mentioned in this thread. I do have a Mazda5 in our driveway as my wife's DD. Good choice if $2016 is not a deciding factor in your decision.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/24/16 8:05 p.m.

I had a very fast Caravan. It ran One Lap years ago. IM me for more info if you want.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/24/16 8:23 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I had a very fast Caravan. It ran One Lap years ago. IM me for more info if you want.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't need to be a private conversation. Inquiring minds want to know.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle HalfDork
2/24/16 9:15 p.m.

Every generation Odyssey drives like an Accord.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/24/16 9:30 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I had a very fast Caravan. It ran One Lap years ago. IM me for more info if you want.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't need to be a private conversation. Inquiring minds want to know.

I was thinking I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I guess this isn't a hijack. Ralph Giles (yes, that Ralph) did most of the work, I did some of it.
1999 Caravan, not grand (SWB)
transplant the 3.8 from the grand caravan
port, polish, and match-port the heads
lightened flywheel
2.75 exhaust all the way back, stock manifolds though
4-wheel disc brakes from the grand caravan
18" wheels
lower it 4" in back, 3" in front
limited slip (I don't know where he got that, I wasn't able to find out)
bigger sway bars
coil-overs
camber plates
Ralph had seats and brakes from a 99 Viper, but I didn't get those with the van

It was amazing! It revved quick, sounded great, and would stomp all over that generation Mustang GT with kids and groceries on board. I might be forgetting a mod or two. Most of that stuff is off-the-shelf Chrysler stuff. Could be duplicated cheap.
I can't remember the issue, but it's in GRM in a 1-Lap coverage article. I think that van is why Honda entered an Oddy a few years later

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/24/16 9:55 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

This one?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
2/24/16 10:05 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote: In reply to DrBoost: This one?

That's it. I LOVED that van. I wish I'd have never sold it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j6vpN2J3BnvbACHbzdEZxohFcXzKPCmSBae60DjmyHx7OP35BxRRkw563bG888R0