1 2
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
2/3/19 9:13 p.m.

But they can’t even come up with an original commercial for it?

https://youtu.be/CuP7PwcHqK4

_
_ Reader
2/3/19 9:26 p.m.

It’s been long enough. That commercial came out when I was born. I’ve never seen it. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
2/3/19 11:11 p.m.

Maybe the new commercial was inspired by the one from 1985? Some of us weren't around then. Well, I was 4 but I was probably busy eating dirt.

IMHO, the classic commercial was better laugh

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
2/3/19 11:52 p.m.

If the MR2 was "putting fun back into driving" then the Camry must have been "Taking the fun out of driving".

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/4/19 1:27 a.m.

Meh, it’s their own commercial they’re making a modern version of. Don’t see much of a problem with it. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/4/19 6:37 a.m.

@The OP

Ever think that there target audience for the new Supra is the same one that was looking at the MR2 back then?  The redoing of the add makes perfect sense. 

Why is everyone hating on the new Supra so much?  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/4/19 6:43 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Possibly because if folks wanted a BMW they would buy a BMW, not a BMW in Toyota clothing.

I watched the SB commercial. It was OK.  I don't remember the MR2 commercial, but I didn't watch a lot of commercial TV back in the 80's other than MTV.  My father wasn't a big pro football fan, so we almost never watched the superbowl.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
2/4/19 6:49 a.m.

I like BMW motors, I don't like BMW electronics.  What are the chances that It has Toyota controls and a BMW drivetrain?

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/4/19 7:04 a.m.
akylekoz said:

I like BMW motors, I don't like BMW electronics.  What are the chances that It has Toyota controls and a BMW drivetrain?

Zero, we know all this stuff (see Bozi's article in R&T for example). It's a BMW with Toyota sheet metal.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/4/19 7:07 a.m.

I personally would love it if there was no such thing as badge engineering. The VW Routan being a Chrysler was too much for me. I’ve accepted the Nissan/Infiniti Toyota/Lexus stuff but sometimes this stuff irritates me. Probably shouldn’t but it does

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/4/19 7:10 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Possibly because if folks wanted a BMW they would buy a BMW, not a BMW in Toyota clothing.

If folks wanted a Subaru, they'd buy a Subaru, not a Subaru in Toyota clothing?

(IIRC the only Toyota-sourced parts are the injection, the transmissions, and the capital)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/4/19 7:36 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

From what I remember reading, the big difference there is the way the production contract was written, Subaru builds a lot more FRS versions than BRZ versions.  And often the FRS versions are cheaper.

Personally, I don't really care either way, although I am likely the aging, moderately affluent, Gen-X demographic Toyota is aiming for with this car.  Unfortunately, it doesn't really push any of my buttons at the moment, but I have a history of needing time to warm up to a car.  Maybe I'll like it more when I can see one in person. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/4/19 7:43 a.m.

Does it really matter who built what and what badge is on it?  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/4/19 7:48 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

It might to some. A lot people want a Toyota because of the reputation for reliability and ease of maintenance (whether that is true or not is a separate topic), something modern BMWs are not exactly famous for.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/4/19 8:04 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Does it really matter who built what and what badge is on it?  

It does to me. It’s universal in my world. I want turkey, not tofu. I want to own things that are unique unto itself. I’m not saying I don’t love the Saab 9-2x Aero (Saabaru) but if I want a Saab, I want a genuine Saab. I don’t want one built on a Subaru platform, nor do I like the idea of a Saab on a GM platform. Just personal taste. We’re all different thank God!

I’m not comfortable with Ford, Jaguar and Volvo all being Fords. Unless the Ford is a Mazda. Ummmm, oh forget it!

Nugi
Nugi Reader
2/4/19 8:46 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Idk, mazda seems to make better fords than ford when considering anything smaller than full-size. Although I think all companies should work with Yamaha more.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/4/19 9:02 a.m.
dean1484 said:

@The OP

Ever think that there target audience for the new Supra is the same one that was looking at the MR2 back then?  The redoing of the add makes perfect sense. 

Why is everyone hating on the new Supra so much?  

Because hating on the internet has become the World's most popular sport. 

People think it makes them edgy or interesting to hate on things. 

Nugi
Nugi Reader
2/4/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

While that is undoubtably true, I was genuinely excited when I heard rumor of a new supra, and genuinely let down by the result. I also would not have bought one either way. But I tend to buy my sports cars 10 years old. I suspect most people here are in a similar camp. We just want cool cars we can afford in a decade. I don't expect most BMW made cars to have any value left after that, after adjusting for the inflated price and reliability concerns. Call us haters all you want, but the disappointment is real. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/4/19 9:26 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to dean1484 :

It might to some. A lot people want a Toyota because of the reputation for reliability and ease of maintenance (whether that is true or not is a separate topic), something modern BMWs are not exactly famous for.

Bingo! Selling a famously unreliable brand as a famously reliable brand is not going to go over well with some people.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/4/19 9:39 a.m.

This thread amuses me considering the recent penchant for Matrixes and Vibes, aka the best GM vehicle ever produced by Toyota, on this board.

I'm with Nugi. The automotive world needs more Yamaha in its DD's.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/4/19 10:19 a.m.

I was genuinely interested in the new Supra and am in the market.  However, a re skinned Z4, I'm not interested in.  If I want a Z4, I'll just buy the BMW version.  Why deal with all the warts of a BMW, but buy it from a Toyota dealer who doesn't have the knowledge of the platform to service it?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/4/19 10:44 a.m.
docwyte said:

I was genuinely interested in the new Supra and am in the market.  However, a re skinned Z4, I'm not interested in.  If I want a Z4, I'll just buy the BMW version.  Why deal with all the warts of a BMW, but buy it from a Toyota dealer who doesn't have the knowledge of the platform to service it?

Because it's $15k cheaper?

I'm pretty sure a Toyota mechanic is perfectly capable of replacing leaking oil seals just like a BMW mechanic. devil

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/4/19 11:04 a.m.

At least it got a commercial. Remember that rad FR-S Superbowl ad? You don't because they didn't.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/4/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I'm interested in how long Toyota branded parts will hold out for.

There's been issues in the past with other reskinned vehicles where one of the partners lists the item as NLA and there isn't a readily available cross reference to the other partner. Probably not as huge of a problem in this case as I suspect the aftermarket is going to address much of that.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
2/4/19 12:27 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Is it tho?  That's a huge price delta, the FRS-BRZ's were much closer priced.  I'm sure Toyota mechanics are competent but I'd much rather go to a mechanic who's been working on the platform for years, has all the specialized tools and knows what to do when xxx breaks.  The toyota guy will be mostly lost...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QxrqX1XR6MjpAb36mEClNsaZHS70l6q41HnwiwwVz3qTPEyNC1sfkh00Heukdf5I