9 10 11 12 13
n8
n8 New Reader
10/17/18 9:32 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

In the recent years since stock classes have gone to 200tw, the tire wars have been in full swing and the gap between the 200tw tires and Hoosiers is closer than ever. I'm not saying they're equal, but times have certainly changed.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Exactly. If everyone is just racing for a $20 plaque, they're missing the point.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 9:46 a.m.

In reply to n8 :

Case in point. Although it raised controversy that I did not mean to create, in 2016 I lent my new Nitto nt05 200 treadwear tires to a fellow competitor for the autocross. He was on worn out old Hoosiers. Just that set of tires moved him from something like 15 to 3rd in the autocross.

And inittos are probably the slowest 200 TW tires out there

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/18 9:47 a.m.

is there TLDR, or a consensus yet?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/17/18 9:54 a.m.
bobzilla said:

is there TLDR, or a consensus yet?

I think we are trending strongly towards a tire class, an american muscle class, or both. Many want a place where 'lower prep' cars can play - and traditionally that has been the special class (though not all special class cars are lower prep by any stretch). Something easy to describe is a must. Something that appeals to the magazine's readership would be excellent.

But the only way we are going to get a consensus is when people start making real plans to bring something that fits. I will absolutely join a tire class. Less likely that i will bring an AM car.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/17/18 9:57 a.m.

He was on Hoosier drag tires which is a lot different and that incident lead to the Stampie Rule. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/17/18 10:00 a.m.

I am bringing a youth team next year. 

I will commit to anything that fits that.  Tire class, Street Legal, Lower Budget, etc. 

I cant commit to AM. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/17/18 10:01 a.m.

Does a Studebaker Lark fall into CAM? Asking for a friend. wink

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/17/18 10:09 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Your friend’s does. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/17/18 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

i will be bringing something that is "AM-ish", but not like the hand-built furniture and barn-raising Amish.  that's totally different.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
10/17/18 10:10 a.m.

now i'm thinking my team will dress in drag and be Trans-AM.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/17/18 10:12 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Cool. I vote for CAM then.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/17/18 10:20 a.m.

I am thinking of bringing a CAM legal vehicle, probably reusing the S10 I built for the pickup class.

Believe it or not this would be the first time I reuse a challenge vehicle out of the 10 or so I have built.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 10:23 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

now i'm thinking my team will dress in drag and be Trans-AM.

Damn! You just gave away your surprise show at the Concours!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/17/18 10:25 a.m.

CAM for the special class. 

Tire thing a separate issue. 

Gastropods something I'm actively pursuing that should include a bunch of people. 

That sound cool to enough people? 

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
10/17/18 10:27 a.m.

I thought someone mentioned Pirate float.  Or maybe it was No pirate floats.  

n8
n8 New Reader
10/17/18 10:40 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to n8 :

Case in point. Although it raised controversy that I did not mean to create, in 2016 I lent my new Nitto nt05 200 treadwear tires to a fellow competitor for the autocross. He was on worn out old Hoosiers. Just that set of tires moved him from something like 15 to 3rd in the autocross.

And inittos are probably the slowest 200 TW tires out there

He was on big drag tires and those don't turn well at all. We won the autocross and finished 4th overall that year with the Justang. That car finished 3rd overall. We did the math...

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/17/18 10:41 a.m.

in reply to spin_out:

I reckon that waring an eye patch would be detrimental to your autocross time

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 10:41 a.m.

As far as the gastropods I really do think a flat money limit would be an encouragement. That way if somebody wants to lightly prep a budget grocery getter the cap on cost would be an impetus to join in the fun. Plus they would have a car that could be used for something not totally dedicated to the event. All of the exempt items I spent on my entry in 2016 added close to $1,600 to my actual build cost side when I completely rebuilt the brake system and a new set of autocross tires. And I ended  up with a car that was not marketable after the event.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 10:46 a.m.

In reply to n8 :

Yeah I did not know those guy when they ask to use my tires. Being a newcomer I was just trying to help out a fellow competitor and didn't realize the rules were being bent.

Congrats on this year's results. You deserved it

n8
n8 New Reader
10/17/18 10:52 a.m.

I don't blame you at all for just trying to help. The budget side of that really wasn't on you to worry about. We didn't make a big deal out of it as we also like those guys and didn't want to be dicks. We learned from it and moved on. 

Thank you. We certainly tried.

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
10/17/18 10:55 a.m.

I like this but would still like to see a 300tw class. Overall, CAM and Gastropod can run current open tire spec. Gastropod based on their sourcing ability, overall and CAM based on the current 1 free set of tire rule. What a 300tw class adds is a target for people that already have builds going that are not AM, mid-pack for overall and they've done some recoup, kicking them out of the gastropod class.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
10/17/18 10:56 a.m.

I like CAM, but how about WAR?

• Add up the scores/finishing places of all CAM cars
  • Add up the scores/finishing places of all classic Japanese and German cars (Classic Axis Muscle?)

It's team-based, up to an entire half of the field gets an award, and could result in some cool liveries. 

CAM vs CAxM

edit: Okay on second thought, go easy on the Axis liveries...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/17/18 11:02 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

• Add up the scores/finishing places of all classic Japanese and German cars (Classic Axis Muscle?)

It's team-based, up to an entire half of the field gets an award, and could result in some cool liveries. 

CAM vs CAxM

This sounds like fun!

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
10/17/18 11:07 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Are you making all the trophies?

That would be the toughest part as you'd have no clue how many to make, etc.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 11:08 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

CAM vs CAxM

The Nelson clan will likely end the event with a pair of atomic bombscool

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4XGMkAfllBgS1UXObl82N8tjHC4WZvj4PnzYwGQFMWrQ1D5ab52iOYM2yhwIkC43