4 5 6 7 8
Antihero
Antihero Dork
10/15/18 12:04 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I ran Datsaniti on $54 tires and got 14th place

I almost bought those tires for my caprice, you like them?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/15/18 12:29 p.m.

As much as I'd love to build a car for the Challenge, the chances of me taking a week off from work to tow a car from New England to Florida and back are approximately zero.

What I would like to see, completely separate from the main part of the competition, is a Fly 'n' Drive class with rental cars:

Four classes: Four cylinder, Six, Eight and Unlimited.

Forced induction bumps you up one class.

$100 per day cap on rental fees.

The only allowable modification would be tire pressure.

Screen names only.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
10/15/18 12:33 p.m.

With a brougham/malaise or diesel class something like these could run in both

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/15/18 12:45 p.m.
Woody said:

As much as I'd love to build a car for the Challenge, the chances of me taking a week off from work to tow a car from New England to Florida and back are approximately zero.

What I would like to see, completely separate from the main part of the competition, is a Fly 'n' Drive class with rental cars:

Four classes: Four cylinder, Six, Eight and Unlimited.

Forced induction bumps you up one class.

$100 per day cap on rental fees.

The only allowable modification would be tire pressure.

Screen names only.

There are some of us who would probably be willing to bring an extra car and 'rent' it to you...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/15/18 1:30 p.m.
wheels777 said:
Tom Suddard said:

What about this:

American Muscle

Must be an originally-rear-wheel-drive vehicle from an American motor vehicle company. Minimum competition weight 3100 pounds with driver. 

Skip the weight requirement and I like it!!!

My Studebaker would fit into this class if you lost the weight requirement. Just saying.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/15/18 1:35 p.m.

How about a Sleeper class. 

Must be stock appearing, but make double the power that it made from the factory.

Engine swaps encouraged.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/15/18 1:39 p.m.

Orphans over 25 year after last production - Triumph (1984), Studebaker (1966), Packard (1958), Trabant (1991), Delorian (1983)......

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
10/15/18 1:41 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

And Datsun (1986). Though I don't see the benefit to leaving out modern orphans. It would be cool to include Saturns, Saabs, Geo, Mercury, etc.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/15/18 1:43 p.m.

The bottom line is editorial content, after all is said and done. Which means a group that is large enough and interesting enough to read about while still fitting what GRM is all about. 

I'm not sure about what would fit those parameters the best, but it sounds like Tom may want something that fits the "everyman" theme better. Or would make a reader say "Hey, I can do something like that"  

Preferably next Challenge, not "a few years down the road"  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/15/18 1:59 p.m.
rodknock said:

...rumored relocation to Atlanta... 

Huh?? Got any other details of that?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/15/18 2:14 p.m.

it's buried in the PLB thread... and ATL wasn't confirmed at all.  Just that Tim was at Petite and trying to dig up more sponsors, and also considering moving challenge.  I reckon what Gainsville Raceway pulled this year didn't sit well, especially considering how long the events been there... and how long the date had been known.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/15/18 2:18 p.m.

Just do 200 tw and make it a full interior class. Still we need something to draw more drag racers. How about nitrous only power adder class? DQ if you blow up.

Currently we are getting 5 drag racers per 30 autocross competitors. Efffectively we are turning autocross guys into drag racers and not really getting a drag crowd. When there isn’t a good low dollar solution for drag competition. 

Lemons and chump car took a lot of competition from this event. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
10/15/18 2:18 p.m.

And the fact that they weren't even paving this weekend...

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/15/18 2:19 p.m.

At the Town Hall meeting it was asked if we liked Gainesville as the venue and overwhelming it was agreed that we liked it. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/15/18 2:21 p.m.

The hotel ran an extension cord out to the parking lot build for us, and provided (and cleared and replaced!) trash cans as well.  I don't really give a berkeley about the track but we should keep it at that hotel.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

In 2015 when the Mumpkin took 2nd place in the autocross, it was running on a set of used reclaimed Hoosiers that I paid $17 for the ENTIRE set of 4. 

Sometimes I wish tires were back in the budget! wink

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
10/15/18 2:28 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Got you beat. We bought 30 SM7s for $100 and sold the extras for $100 so our tires this year were either $13.33 or $0 without using the exemption. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/15/18 2:36 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Just do 200 tw and make it a full interior class. Still we need something to draw more drag racers. How about nitrous only power adder class? DQ if you blow up.

Currently we are getting 5 drag racers per 30 autocross competitors. Efffectively we are turning autocross guys into drag racers and not really getting a drag crowd. When there isn’t a good low dollar solution for drag competition. 

Lemons and chump car took a lot of competition from this event. 

I agree with this. The $3k Hooptie challenge that Roadkill put on was wildly popular, but they stopped holding it. I'm a little biased, but if we had something that drew in the drag racers, it would not be a bad thing.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/15/18 2:37 p.m.

Free to the budget set of tires should always remain in the rules. Helps with inflation since the event started and with the fact that it is not easy to find takeoff without actively being at a track all the time. For example my first two years I got home with corded autocross tires.  

I don’t like that someone can show up with new A7s, but it also wasn’t nice when someone has practically new A7 for $25 that someone was “just throwing out.” I have never seen practically new A7s listed on craigslist or FB marketplace for $25 in the 8 years I’ve been doing the event. 

It is already an event where networking with fellow competitors really helps to get cheap stuff. That makes it difficult enough for new competitors. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
10/15/18 3:02 p.m.

There no relocation coming, crew was in Atlanta for Petit meeting with sponsors. I said it tongue and cheek. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/15/18 3:04 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

It is already an event where networking with fellow competitors really helps to get cheap stuff. That makes it difficult enough for new competitors. 

This is part of why I want to form a group of people that can feel comfortable with low prep cars. It's easy to feel like you need to know someone to get the deals to be at the pointy end. I want a comfortable place for people to settle in, meet people, and then move to the pointy end if they want. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/15/18 3:07 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I agree with that. Not sure how to do it without having a loophole to destroy the class. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/15/18 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

My vision is that it be informal. Nobody has to be in the "class" unless they want to be. Use the proposed $80 and ??? TW rule and invite people to come meet, hang out, and form a community within the community. Crown a king amongst us. 

I'm trying to come up with a name. Something with S. Snails. We all want to see the S car go. Help me out here. 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
10/15/18 3:51 p.m.

Well, I guess that was a hugely beneficial unintended consequence of the aristocrat, minivan, truck, and wagon classes, because it is unlikely for someone gunning for the pointy end to start with something in one of those buckets.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/15/18 3:51 p.m.

If going the CAM route, you could merge CAM-C and CAM-T with CAM-S being a separate class. I'd say merge CAM-C and T since they're basically the same cars, with the Challenge budget pretty much eliminating the newer ones that dominate C. 

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a0PFWu6Hj6fK0jIteU0zYtTkQuf4EiENLVsiAv5WbpR0A9WwTgACc0lQLTneIaIc