1 2 3 4
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/10/13 7:16 a.m.

OK I was partly kidding with the Cayman S.

ISn't the rule of thumb buy the best and newest you can find? Having said that, if you let yourseld be scared by 'internet lore' that all the new engines will eat their IMS, then go for the turbo as the case is still based of the old two part, true dry sump casting. Personaly I don't buy the internet lore and would go for the base 6 speed. Even the base car has 325hp that should be enough to keep your dily drive fun.

Adrian_Thompson
5/10/13 7:17 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Honestly if I was buying a 911, I would only be looking for an air cooled one.

But he's not you, that's not what he wants. Air cooled is fun for a pure toy, but for a usable car the 996/997 are better cars.

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/10/13 7:19 a.m.

2+2 of the 911 I think helped her with decision

The 911 really does seem very practical

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/10/13 7:20 a.m.

You can still barely get an '88 G50 3.2L for that... and when you sell it you will make money.

Flight Service
5/10/13 7:21 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Honestly if I was buying a 911, I would only be looking for an air cooled one.
But he's not you, that's not what he wants. Air cooled is fun for a pure toy, but for a usable car the 996/997 are better cars.

LOL all I know I am allowed is a silver 911 that passes the wife.

I am asking you guys which one. I like P cars but I don't know them, so I am here at the collective asking questions.

The up side, air cooled is if it all goes really sideways I can always do that electric bug conversion, and a renegade v8 for the water cooled one.

Adrian_Thompson
5/10/13 7:26 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
LOL all I know I am allowed is a silver 911 that passes the wife. I am asking you guys which one. I like P cars but I don't know them, so I am here at the collective asking questions. The up side, air cooled is if it all goes really sideways I can always do that electric bug conversion, and a renegade v8for the water cooled one.

You konw, the reliability, torque and power of an LSx is so good, don't you wish DerGermans would man up and just buy engines from GM from new

whenry
whenry HalfDork
5/10/13 7:41 a.m.

Tough decision. You can get a very nice air-cooled in your price range but probably not a 993. You can find all sorts of off-lease or high mileage 996/997 but only the dealer will work on one. Although I dont think that you can ever look at a car as an investment, the late air-cooled cars seem to be holding their value or appreciating. I dont see that happening with 996/997. Yeah, you will be more comfortable as DD 996/997 but it is just another car on the highway in my opinion. It will be just like an old BMW or Benz; too expensive to maintain

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/10/13 7:47 a.m.

I have a solid recommendation. A bunch of us like a 911, or even have opinions of which 911 we like the best. most of us (myself included) haven't owned or even driven one.

I think you ought to set some ground rules - only actual accounts from actual owners/drivers for your research, otherwise you'll get all muddled about listening to folks like me who haven't a clue other than our random and uneducated thoughts.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/10/13 8:07 a.m.

I owned one and have driven atleast 20 on a race track.

A pre-1990 is light, fun but somewhat bare bones and maybe a little harsh by today's standards but it is my favorite. Parts are mostly affordable. Like... cheaper than Toyota parts affordable except the engine/trans. There are a lot of variances but basically... you would want a later 3.2 car with a G50 trans & LSD if you can swing it and work down from there.

A 964 looks like a 911 but has springs and is much faster, comfortable and generally pretty awesome except they only made them for a few years and they were all new so some of the parts can really shock you. You can always work around that - but it is a "thing". I owned one of these. It was a fantastic experience.

A 993 looks like a 928 and a 911 got it on, it is pretty much the same design as a 964 underneath but has a better rear geometry, more power, takes more tire and costs more. It is also the last of the air cooled cars and probably the best (except I hate the look).

A base 996 isn't semi-dry sump anymore and needs a suspension overhaul to be truly track worthy. They are cushy for the street though and cheap.

A 996 Turbo is... ok if you like puffers. I don't. A 996 GT3 is awesome but out of your price range. It's the only 996 I would consider.

A 997 is a great car. You can barely afford the base right now but the S is the one you want. I hear they are tricky to work on but everyone always says that about new tech and it always turns out to be an education thing that takes care of itself. The new 991 just came out so perhaps the S models will be within reach by the time your 24month research project concludes :)

bdutro
bdutro New Reader
5/10/13 8:07 a.m.

996TT, I love the fact that the 'purists' hate them. Makes them affordable.

GT2 conversion to RWD shaves ~75lbs and brings back a bit of the raw elemental feel.

Engine is a brick outhouse. Stock injectors support up to 600hp.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/10/13 8:10 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: I would love an air cooled porsche, even a kind of ratty one because I want to use it on the track also with some RS flares then get a set of those deep dish fuchs Singer has drool Classy

-That- is my idea of a 911

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
5/10/13 9:13 a.m.

1st question: can you trade the wife in? (who actually LIKES silver as a color? Most people tolerate it as it serves a purpose, but silver on a sportscar? Yaya, mercedes had a hard on for silver back in the day, but those cars were much more curvy and delicious looking. She might as well be asking for beige... oh wait, this is a porsche, so I mean brown :p )

In all seriousness though, sounds to me like you want a 996 carerra 4 with a blown motor, and then pay those guys GRM had an article on to do a LS swap. It can be done for $30k, and you'll get (IMO) a car that is much better than a lot of factory porchs.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
5/10/13 9:31 a.m.

I would look for a mid to late 80s 911 or 930, bonus for the 930 5 speed, but I doubt you'll find a decent one for under 30k.

When I was shopping for a 911 my budget was 15-25. I ended up with an incredibly clean 85 Targa (silver) with 59k for just under 20k with a solid PPI. This was around 10 years ago. It's an awesome car and I actually wanted the targa, 85 was the earliest year I would consider since it had the 3.2 and the windshield antenna....I thought the fender mounted antenna was ugly and Porsche ended that in 84. I love the sounds this cars makes. Mine is stock with the exception of a GHL exhaust.

Here it is:

octavious
octavious Reader
5/10/13 9:46 a.m.

Since you aren't in a rush I suggest going out and driving as many different ones as you can. That will narrow it down to what you want in the car. I don't think until you drive them will you really have an idea of what you want in yours.

It's no surprise I'm an aircooled guy, I don't consider myself a purist or anything close, but I just like the aircooled cars more. Your budget would put you in a 3.2 and like others have said maybe a G50 3.2. I prefer the 915 to the G50, but that's partly because that is what I have known for so many years. It feels like Porsche to me when I drive the 915.

If I could I'd DD a 996 or a Cayman, but its not in the cards, probably ever.

For the argument on silver as a color, James Dean's 550 was silver. I'm just sayin...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/10/13 10:11 a.m.

I own GPS's old 964. I've only had it for two months but the experience has been very positive. It is a car that you can daily drive very comfortably. Even with the dying blower fans (which are stupid expensive, one of the eye watering parts) the AC works great. Everything I've wanted to fix on the car has been easy to do and not any more expensive than any other 25 year old car really. When you start buying shocks and such it can get silly. The kids love to ride in the back, the wife absolutely loves to drive it. It's new enough that a computer will talk to the car and ask it what's wrong. The answer list isn't as comprehensive as an OBDII car but being able to ask a car what's wrong is always better than just guessing. The support for these cars is significant, both from parts availability and the DIY community. Everything I've wanted to do to my car I've found documented with pictures and a tool list before I ever tackled the job.
I've ridden in a 996 but haven't driven one. They're very nice. Much nicer than the nicest 964 you're going to find in your price range. The 964 is the first 'modern' Porsche, but there's still a LOT of carryover. The suspension and HVAC is updated but a tremendous amount of the rest of the car is carryover. The interior still feels like a car 20 years it's junior. That's part of the charm, you get fairly modern-ish car with a very classic feel. The 964, and the 993 really, feel like cars from a different era.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
5/10/13 10:12 a.m.

Another a/c guy - although Mrs. Oldtin DDs a 928s. Newer ones are bigger, faster, easier to drive. I like the older ones because they are smaller, lighter and demand your attention to drive them well.

Flight Service
5/10/13 4:42 p.m.

good info keep it coming

Which is the most noob friendly Porsche forum?

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/10/13 6:27 p.m.

rennlist has been great for my 964 foray, and Pelican seems to be great as well - you can't really go wrong with either, I would say.

I'll put my .02. I love my aircooled 964. I bought it (C4) last August and it needed some love. Pushing thoughts of the "Gold Plated Porsche" out of my head I set to work, and it's been pleasant - reasonably easy to service, great parts availability, reasonable prices for wear items, $$$ for other parts (>$1k for rear lights/reflector!). That said, who-ever thought that it would be good to have to remove most of the exhaust to adjust the valves every 20k should have their head examined :) The air-cooled P-cars are modern day classics. It appeals to me in the same way an E30 appeals to me more than an E36. Not everyone gets it, but many non-car people even appreciate it. The aircooled cars are also appreciating in value - it's hard to go wrong with a decent example. The 996 engines worry me a bit, but that could be internet folklore

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/10/13 6:33 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Jaynen wrote: I would love an air cooled porsche, even a kind of ratty one because I want to use it on the track also with some RS flares then get a set of those deep dish fuchs Singer has drool Classy
-That- is my idea of a 911

Nice, but that's a $190,000 car...

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/10/13 6:34 p.m.

You can buy mine for $29,998...

photo Porsche2005.jpg

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
5/11/13 8:24 a.m.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3774310456.html

This car has been for sale for ever, its pretty though. Silver targa w/Fuchs(fakes).

Flight Service
5/11/13 11:47 p.m.

I am surprised no one brought up the GRM Porsche Buyer's Guide

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/12/13 2:02 a.m.

I know the G50 trans is supposed to be miles better than the 915.. but I still have fond memories of the 901 trans in my old 72 and my 914. I -liked- having the dogleg first

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/12/13 8:27 a.m.

Dogleg first is great. 2-3 and 3-2 shifts are where you spend most of your time, so it's nice that they are inline.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/12/13 2:32 p.m.

I got to see a Cayman S driven in anger yesterday at a club auto-x. What. A. Car.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MsFaIBtzG2TP2TqXMxbuTbwtSowKB1Z186qEf72O6bLqVigeOgvEkSEHH7iPYfvd