1 2
stroker
stroker UberDork
2/21/22 8:58 a.m.

How about an AC VW with FWD...? Southern Indiana, NMNA

Posted about 7:45AM Central on Monday morning.

READ THE ENTIRE ADD PLEASE !! This is one of the rarest VW's ever made !!! Only produced in Brazil for 3 years with the AIRCOOLED, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE, FRONT ENGINE !!! Can you say UNICORN !! It is a 1980 VW GOL. look it up. I only know of one other in the USA. It is all original and fires right up, the original 1300 engine sounds good. Has zero miles on new tires. I have been going over the car and everything is working like it should..lights, brakes,,turn signals,, horn,,you get the idea. You will have the only one at any VW show you go to,,get ready for questions. I have all documentation of importing,,original owners manual,,regisitrations from Brazil and I HAVE AN INDIANA TITLE IN MY NAME!!! Hard work is done,, It only needs a muffler and a short tailpipe. I just have not had time to take it to a shop...price is as is. Hot VW is getting ready to do a spotlight on these cars,, price will go up when article comes out. I am in Southern Indiana at zip 47469, I am asking a very reasonable price for this very rare car...all I ask is BE SERIOUS,,, No tire kickers,,ask the wife before you contact me !!! Have CASH on hand,,, You can text me at 812 five six nine 0328 between 8am and 7pm Eastern time and I will get back to you. Thanks and God Bless

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
2/21/22 6:20 p.m.

I just sent this to Ross Cupples:

http://www.rossvw.com/

He has a heck of a collection.

Edited for Ross' last name spelling.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/21/22 6:26 p.m.

Dang. And speaking of unicorn VWs, a friend is about to sell a stick shift Passat wagon. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/21/22 6:32 p.m.

I like the cooling fan .......

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/21/22 8:09 p.m.

Wow, that's a really cool car. I've never heard of them before. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/21/22 8:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Dang. And speaking of unicorn VWs, a friend is about to sell a stick shift Passat wagon. 

We had one. They were available in Canada but not the US.

That "GOL" (really?) is one weird critter.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
2/21/22 8:17 p.m.

I would love to drive up to a Porsche club event in one of these and pop the hood. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/21/22 8:18 p.m.

Beetle engine, but FWD with the engine out front...they just flipped the R&P, didn't they.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
2/21/22 8:19 p.m.

...which begs the question, "Would a 911 engine fit?"devil

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
2/21/22 8:51 p.m.

Interesting.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/21/22 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Even if it didn't, the 1.9 (?) should. And I have an adapter for a Subaru engine, which means 600 hp. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/21/22 9:31 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Now that would be a FWD drag car that would be fun to watch.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
2/21/22 9:38 p.m.

Now that's a car that needs to be at Concours d'Lemons

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/21/22 10:00 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Only one way to find out...

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
2/21/22 10:11 p.m.

Ross is reaching out to the seller.

I hope he adds it to his substantial collection.

johndej
johndej Dork
2/21/22 10:18 p.m.

I've seen a couple of these myself too...but it was in Brazil so that's cheating.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/22 9:28 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

If you want another one, this one's already in Colorado. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/22/22 9:49 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

We had one. They were available in Canada but not the US.

That "GOL" (really?) is one weird critter.

GOL = "Goal" (as in sports) in both Spanish and Brazlian Portuguese = the best name a car could possibly have for sale in South American countries where futbol = life and all marketing is somewhere between 95% to 105% futbol-related, depending on whether it's World Cup season or not.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/22/22 11:04 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That is a strong point.

Later VWs (like my 1999.5 Golf) had stick-on chrome letters for the badging. And VW kept the font and sizing consistent worldwide. Just about the whole alphabet was available. My Golf was sometimes a Flog. So I think this car would benefit from a set of those letters spelling GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/22/22 11:20 a.m.

Just when you thought there weren't enough bad ideas in one place.

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
2/22/22 11:36 a.m.

I can't imagine how slow this has so be with an air cooled 1300.

Also surprised it doesn't constantly overheat. All the air cooled engines I'm familiar with have their cooling intakes on the backside of the engine. They also all have sealed engine bays to circulate air. Maybe that's why they went to water cooled motors for these?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/22/22 11:49 a.m.

I have bolted 90mm cv axles from a fwd VW to a air cooled beetle cv/irs transaxle.

Get any adapter for a sand rail and beetle irs  transaxle and a VW Fox with a bad transmission and make your own.

Nothing like a longitudinal 2.3 turbo lima driving the front wheels of a VW Fox to make people scratch their heads.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/22/22 11:51 a.m.
Saron81 said:

I can't imagine how slow this has so be with an air cooled 1300.

Also surprised it doesn't constantly overheat. All the air cooled engines I'm familiar with have their cooling intakes on the backside of the engine. They also all have sealed engine bays to circulate air. Maybe that's why they went to water cooled motors for these?

with only 40ish hp I'm guessing it has enough airflow even with the inefficiencies. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/22/22 12:17 p.m.

That's really cool. The asking price seems reasonable to me for such a rare car. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
2/22/22 12:24 p.m.

If it's 1300 that equals out to 69 stroke by 77 bore , 

I have never heard of a 1300cc Brazilian or Mexican motor or ever  seen 77mm "big pin" pistons from Brazil....

you learn something everyday.......

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
onPEluBlOjUSR0kmLXKH2bOOMtQmEASVDw9PVtzqIdj5j2ZigQxx8Va2Re2gCOPV