2 3 4 5
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
12/29/20 8:49 p.m.

If I'm hurt bad enough to actually need a first aid kit, I'm going in the house because I'm going to need help applying the bandages and warm soapy water to remove the blood stains. Our first aid kit is there. Worse than that is going to require a phone to call 911. Hopefully someone else heard the crash or the scream. 

Other wise it's...

Cometic Gasket on Twitter: "Who used Electrical Tape? #mechanic #bandaid  #cometic… "

and get back to work. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/29/20 11:59 p.m.

By far the worst self inflicted one was having a heavy duty bungee cord let go at full stretch across the roof of my car. Hit me square between the eyes. I remember driving half way to the ER. The next memory I have was eight days latter. I had a really good concussion. I had to be carful for about six months and the concussion symptoms finally went away fully about a year latter. 

This one scared me. It was the wake up moment for me that made me realize I may not be invincible after all. I was in my late 20s at the time. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/30/20 3:33 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Did you see the sparkles? Because I've seen the sparkles.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
12/30/20 8:28 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Did you see the sparkles? Because I've seen the sparkles.

I saw sparkles just from reading Dean's post. Pretty sure I have a headache as well. 

That makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. 

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
10/11/21 8:16 a.m.

ive luckily have avoided most personal injuries this side of slices, abrasions and one time like 8 years ago the pipe I was cutting jumped in the bandsaw clamp and I sawed halfway thru my thumb.

As I type my fingernail that I accidently smashed when the die grinder hooked is nearly grown out.  That one nearly got the $150 Makita electric grinder thrown out the shop

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/11/21 8:19 a.m.
FKemp said:
dean1484 said:

By far the worst self inflicted one was having a heavy duty bungee cord let go at full stretch across the roof of my car. Hit me square between the eyes. I remember driving half way to the ER. The next memory I have was eight days latter. I had a really good concussion. I had to be carful for about six months and the concussion symptoms finally went away fully about a year latter. 

This one scared me. It was the wake up moment for me that made me realize I may not be invincible after all. I was in my late 20s at the time. 

Had a bit of a similar experience with a cord, only it hit me in the leg. Didn't give it much attention at first, but in a minute or two the pain came and I figured it damaged something. Turns out it fractured the bone, so that was fun. Heavy-duty cords pack some serious energy when stretched, you don't want to mess around with them, learn proper safety precautions on [this canoe launch] before you start working with dangerous tools.

An amusingly on topic canoe.

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
10/11/21 10:00 a.m.

I was once hospitalized by a ceiling fan while working on the roof of a class A pusher.

A lot of stuff went wrong. Fans were too low for L&I regs, the coach was wet from rain, I was young and distracted. I slipped on the wet roof, caught my balance and stood up straight in to the fan. 

Stop here if you are squeamish. 

This tickled...

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/11/21 4:53 p.m.

Amateurs!

Lessee:

Worst was the time I had the plugs out of an engine and then checked spark.
Spark was fine, the second and third degree burns from cylinders of fuel igniting left lots of scar. Where do I find those chicks who dig scars?

Tripped and impaled my calf on the head studs of an Alfa Romeo block.
Could not free myself so had to wait for help. Healed surprisingly well.

Wrench slipped while working on a 68 El Camino drum front brakes.
Chevy kindly provided a nasty little barb on the backing plate that will cut your wrist to the bone.
Worse is the way ER treats you, asking over and over again how it happened, like they cannot wait to write it up as an attempted suicide.

Moving an industrial cold-saw on a moving dolly. Weight got over-center and I fell, with the crank handle of the saw landing on my thigh. Only a big bruise, but I now have a divot there where the muscle never recovered.

Oh, and foolishly reaching over a moving lathe! 
Fortunate that it was low speed and small diameter. Workpiece that looked smooth still grabbed my sleeve (Very cold day, I normally do lathe work in short sleeves), and wound it around the shaft I was profiling.
Reflexes are so slow, I hit the off switch in record time but it seemed about two minutes while I watched the lathe continue to rotate.
Cloth giving way probably saved my arm but I still had a big red welt from the extreme pressure. By the next day the area was swollen to about three times normal. Local clinic refused to drain it for me, said that was "Surgery".
So I got as big a needle as I could locate and drained it myself. Lots of clear/reddish fluid. Arm healed "Fine" except that I still have odd sensation in that area and I think the skin is only loosely attached.

I am only including car/shop related injuries and am a LOT more cautious now.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
10/11/21 5:36 p.m.

As I do whenever I read this thread, I hate all of it.  I can visualize every single accident in here and I hate it.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) Dork
10/11/21 5:56 p.m.

Not car related, but when I was a painter, I worked with a guy who had some strange scars on his palm and the back of his hand.

Guy said he was framing a dormer to the second story of a Victorian  and started sliding off the roof.  "It was a looooonnnng way to the ground, so I nailed my hand to the roof", he said. 

True?  Don't know but the scars... the scars...

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/11/21 6:35 p.m.

Not car related, but I got stabbed in the eye once coming out of a safety committee meeting. 

birdmayne
birdmayne New Reader
10/11/21 6:56 p.m.

My scariest, strictly automotive, mishap was that fateful time I was cleaning carburetor parts with a stiff bristle detail brush and some solvents (forget which variety). 

My dad came into the garage quietly and startled the piss out of me. My jerk reaction flung a loaded brush worth of solvents in both eyes. Immediate blindness, searing pain. 

No permanent damage, but Holy crap was that scary. 

bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
10/11/21 7:24 p.m.

Not car related.....I was power-washing clear plastic roof panels over a patio from above, me on the roof.  The 5HP gas washer was on the ground.  I moved over and the hose was too short, it directed the full pressure of the advertised 3500 psi onto inside of my leg.  It removed flesh very quickly before I direct it away..  I still have the clean C shaped scar on my leg.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
10/13/21 7:29 a.m.

I was hammering out a bearing race from a ATV hub the race shattered and I suddenly had a piece of 7/8 inch long steel hanging half way out of my cheek. Figured out how deep it was in so I called my adult son over to see it before I pulled it out. After looking at it he sends a cell picture to my wife ( nurse practitioner ) who simply replied “ tell him to go get a tetanus shot”.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
10/18/21 10:53 p.m.

these, sound like ' try outs for the darwin award show '

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
1/24/22 11:50 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

this remindes me of this.. how you know you have a good shop teacher..10 fingers... even better 5 on each hand

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
1/24/22 11:52 p.m.

In reply to CJ (FS) :

too funnylaugh

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
1/25/22 1:15 a.m.

how come its only guys talking aout there adventures..no girls? are they smarter than us?

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/25/22 10:20 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Thanks for sharing that, JG. I just snorted my morning coffee through my nose.... :)

walkere
walkere
2/25/22 4:08 p.m.

I actually drilled into my wrist. That was so painful and bled like a dripping sink. Fortunately it didn't hit any tendons. Lesson learned! 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
2/25/22 7:55 p.m.

J.G. Pasterjak, That's just funny. Let's see, what's the dumbest thing I've done that caused injury?

• While trying to pull a drum brake spring upward with a pick awl, I thought to myself, "If that thing slips off, I'me going to poke myself right in the forehead", and that is exactly what happened. I had to jerk it out to get it out.
  • While working on my 1800 in the early hours after the bars had closed and while trying to tighten a blind bolt with a socket wrench, I thought to myself, "if that slips, it is going to hurt", and than it did and I put a 1" gash in my index finger. I went inside and woke up my brother and told him, "Wake up, you have to take me to the hospital". He turned on the night light, looked at my finger and immediately fainted. I woke him up again repeating myself and he finally got up. My hand was covered in grease so we tried to clean it up over the kitchen sink with gojo grease cleaner and while the water was turning red, running over my finger I said, "I am going to pass out", as my vision blackened down to a pin hole. When I woke up, I was laying on the kitchen floor and he was laying next to me passed out as well. I said, 'Wake up, you have to take me to the hospital", and he finally revived and I made it to the hospital and received 5 stitches.
  • While holding two pieces of aluminum angle together with my left hand while trying to screw one of those crappy self drilling screws through my custom window air conditioner mounting bracket, I thought to my self, "If that slips, I am going to jam that Philips screw tip right through my finger tip", and that is exactly what happened.

I have another one, but it involves a chainsaw.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/25/22 8:06 p.m.
jh36 said:

Not car related, but I got stabbed in the eye once coming out of a safety committee meeting. 

Like a real safety meeting?  Or the kind that makes you giggly and hungry?

mke
mke Dork
2/25/22 8:39 p.m.

worst pain? Tiling a floor and lean my head into a live wire sticking out the outlet....its hard to describe the feeling of plugging you head into the outlet.

Stupidest?  Making wheel wells on the fiadillac I picked up the 4.5" disc grind to cut, it didn't work.  Cradle it in my arm and pull up the cord and see its not plugged it so I plug it in...and it turn on.  I'm home alone so I drive to the hospital and explain I've installed a rather larger hole in my arm that I think requires pretty immediate attention.  

...but at least I haven't drilled through my hand :)

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Reader
2/25/22 9:00 p.m.
mke said

...but at least I haven't drilled through my hand :)

LOL! Now that's just funny.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
2/26/22 2:03 p.m.

Does loping off the end of my middle finger on my right hand with a skil saw qualify? 

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qbyb6U5cce1GavIlkbU678u9SfpxGxOjPeXdm4ON0StPhB6Zb3kr0KThP9dA3Mbv