1 2
donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/20/19 9:35 p.m.

so nearly 20 years ago my grandmother-in-law bought my first real socket set, a nice craftsman kit that came in a nice but cheap plastic case, it sorted them out very well but it didn't take long for the very flimsy latches to break and fall off... it's somewhat like this (but not as nice of a handle, and no pinned hinges... and a better socket selection)

so for the last many years I've always made sure the case just lays flat... which means the handle is pointless and it takes up a good bit of room... now that I've got another car that'll actually need some work and some junkyrard runs it's time to figure something out... 

I always liked the size markings and having a spot for everything making it easy to see what socket I'm missing (i'm looking at you 10mm)

so far this is looking the most promising but I'd still need a case or toolbox of some sort to put it in...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHJHA7I?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=S6WCZAFS6XYRN8YZCRD1&th=1

another thing that got me thinking was my dads old socket sets that I grew up wrenching with before I built my own kit.. he had a a number of sets similar to below but he took an open cell foam and cut out slots for every tool to sit in nice and neat so it didn't shake around while moving it and was easy to make sure everything was in the right place... all except hiw 3/4" socket set... seems he cleaned the box with kerosene at one point and the box warped lol... still closed but only just... but I don't know where I'd find solid cases like this that would fit correctly... maybe the knock off pelican cases at harborfreight?

so what do you guys do?

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/20/19 9:56 p.m.

For JY runs, pare down to the bare rock minimum of what you need.   I usually only go in with a multi-screwdriver, Husky brand ratcheting wrench sets in metric and SAE, a pair of Channel Locks and some hex key sets.  Everything fits on my pockets.

Alternatively, I used to carry a tool roll with a set of combo wrenches, a socket rack with a set of oft-used sockets, and a long handled flex-head ratchet.      That may be your best bet.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
2/20/19 10:43 p.m.

I use these double sided socket rails. They're not cheap but they do a good job of retaining sockets, so I can throw them in my tool box and not have to worry about them getting dislodged or mixed up when I take them to the track.

amerson
amerson New Reader
2/21/19 12:41 a.m.
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
2/21/19 12:54 a.m.

In reply to donalson :

Probably not the solution you’re looking for, but I bought one of the HF 301-piece tool kits to keep in the trunk of the car. Though I did have to use it once at home. 

I used to keep a metal box similar to the one in your pic with some tools in it, but it was rather incomplete. Plus the long/narrow/sort of deep dimensions of those classic toolboxes basically means you dump/pile stuff in the bottom.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/21/19 2:00 a.m.

Line those older metal boxes with a sheet of magnetic material. Defiantly one that's thicker than a magnetic sign, though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/21/19 4:50 a.m.

I use shorter versions of the double sided rails shown above for my mobile set. I throw them and a bunch of other tools in canvas zip bags from HF for use as a road repair kit. It works great and its secure enough but in no way is it easy to spot check visually. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/21/19 6:00 a.m.

I'd love to find a tool backpack that keeps things organized. It's rare that I don't need both of my arms to carry stuff when leaving the junkyard. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/21/19 6:10 a.m.

I Suggest A Nice Glass Display for your Dad's Stuff, I Get The Feeling He May Have Inherited them ''Cause I am pretty Old and those look a Minute Older. Nice though and I would be in a toss-up about cleaning off the Patina.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/21/19 6:13 a.m.

This is the best I've found - I bought this set and absolutely love it. It is not cheap, though, and doesn't do you much good if you want to use your existing tools. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024LOT6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Maybe you could duplicate it with a Pelican case as you suggested.

For a more reasonably-priced alternative, I have this in my 2002. There's a row of pockets on one end flap that holds a set of sockets. I think it would be very useful for junkyard runs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUTCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Rolled up it could also easily contain a couple of socket rails.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/21/19 6:15 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'd love to find a tool backpack that keeps things organized. It's rare that I don't need both of my arms to carry stuff when leaving the junkyard. 

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tradesman-pro-organizers/tradesman-pro-tool-master-backpack

Not cheap but it does look nice. I would like to find something similar for less money, I usually just take my milwaukee tool bag but it's annoying to carry all the time and hard to carry parts out with it. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/21/19 6:38 a.m.

In reply to donalson :

Here's my ole Husky set. It's gotta be 15 years old, maybe more.

I like the "not too big" size. It has hefty front closures.

The weak link was the rear had no real hinge, just a fold in the plastic which promptly failed on a cold day. So... I added a real hinge. It's been great ever since. 

Can you do the same? 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/21/19 7:04 a.m.

I use standard $3 socket rails from H-F, then drop them into a tool bag when I need portability.  If the rail is too long for a given number of sockets, it's easy to cut it to length.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/21/19 7:07 a.m.
EvanB said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/tradesman-pro-organizers/tradesman-pro-tool-master-backpack

Not cheap but it does look nice. I would like to find something similar for less money, I usually just take my milwaukee tool bag but it's annoying to carry all the time and hard to carry parts out with it. 

Yeah... $178 on Amazon, but it does look really nice.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
2/21/19 7:11 a.m.

I buy the used metal cases that used to come with even mid-grade socket sets at flea markets for a buck and then fill them with mis-matched USA made stuff for traveling.  Hurts a lot less to lose an old Proto than a nice shiny new Snap-On.  

You can get some pretty good deals out of the dollar boxes if you are patient.  Wright makes some good stuff.   I have one for 3/8" standard, one for 3/8" metric, one for half inch standard - only big sizes above 3/4 if I am travelling. 

And then totally agree on the "take for the job"  IE if I am just going after interior stuff, a set of trim tools, a ratcheting screwdriver with bits, and a wire cutter are all I will take with me, everything else stays in the car.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
2/21/19 7:19 a.m.
EvanB said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I bought a backpack a couple of years ago. They aren't bad but the do have a tendency to collect tools and get super heavy. 

For sockets, buy a set with the best case you can find. The Kobalt brand from Lowes works well. 

Edit: I have heard that the Kobalt brand is being replaced by Craftsman in Lowes. Some of that might be on sale cheap.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
2/21/19 7:23 a.m.

I understand the logic of the "bring the tools for the job" but a trip to the junkyard is also about being open to an unexpected opportunity. 

You never know what you're going to see while you're there, and it's real frustrating to not have the right tools.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/21/19 9:23 a.m.

I have some of these trays which allow you to twist the socket to lock it onto the rail and then pick up the whole thing by the handles at the end. You do have to line your sockets up properly with the ball on the rail to get it to lock, but it is reliable. They also sell them in individual rails and all the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive pieces are interchangeable so you can take it apart and mix and match the rows or count of each to match the sockets you plan to carry. 

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
2/21/19 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

I rarely ever need beyond what I listed, aside from a hacksaw.

I carry more tools in the van, but I usually hit 3 or 4 JYs in a day, and I need to travel light.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
2/21/19 10:07 a.m.

I bought a bunch of socket rails from HF as well.  I mounted them to a little tray I made with 3/4 ply and 3/8" ply sides about 2" high.  I put a couple handles on the sides and I made it to fit the top of my toolbox.  They normally stay in the toolbox but if I need them remotely I just grab the handles and take it to where I need it.

I wouldn't say its super portable because it doesn't have a lid, but it suits me well since most of the time it stays in the toolbox.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
2/21/19 10:56 a.m.

I have been told I am odd in this but I use whatever container seems to work best. I have 1/4" ratchet, driver bit and such in an eyeglass case with a wrap of velcro.  Small plastic ammo box catches middle sizes with pliers, 3/8" stuff that has socket rails in slots on a tool roll. One weird look I get is my gauge kit! It is actually a Christian Dior makeup bag. Vacuum, compression, gasoline pressure and all the fittings have a section. So far is chemical proof and easy to clean.  Code readers, with a versatile multimeter and wire bits found their home in a cheap camera case. Mix and match in a 24" tool bag for trips.

Bruce

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
2/21/19 11:20 a.m.

My suggestion is probably more work than anyone would want but I'd do it with a thrift store sourced hard shell case, then buy Kaizen foam of the right thickness and spend a day with an X-acto knife making it completely custom. You could even do multiple tray type layers if the thickness of the case allowed it.

Arrange for maximum density.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/21/19 11:29 a.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

My suggestion is probably more work than anyone would want but I'd do it with a thrift store sourced hard shell case, then buy Kaizen foam of the right thickness and spend a day with an X-acto knife making it completely custom. You could even do multiple tray type layers if the thickness of the case allowed it.

Arrange for maximum density.

That is basically what my dad did with the vintage took kits... his drill kit is still setup like that 35 years later... 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/21/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to donalson :

There is an easier way to do that. 

Layout all the tools you want in exactly the pattern you want. Take a photocopy of it. 

Then contact Singleslammer and ask him to cut it with his laser cutter out of laserable foam. 

You could do it with a camera instead of photocopy, but you’d have to be careful to get the picture square and not distorted, and give him a few dimensions to actually properly scale the picture.  

donalson
donalson PowerDork
2/21/19 2:05 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

now that you mention it I have access to a nice laser cutter... I'd forgotten about that option... thank you :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n88OmiPHfcAnR4l82Ax0Ns89s54VBlLodkYnHmDUn8FwSF6wQnAaUtpWQBx6tjoy