buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/30/22 12:57 p.m.

1996 Cherokee. Current daily, road trip and snow car. Hopefully being relegated to surf wagon next summer

My last snow tires had 20,000 miles on stock steel wheels. I wasn't sure if I'd be going back to Tahoe this winter, and didn't want to drive 3000 miles home with them on my roof, so I sold them cheap to be rid of them. That leaves me with only my 45,000 mile all seasons on factory alloys.  I need snow tires. Just 4x4 doesn't cut it in my neighborhood with 5 miles of 10%+ grades. My hesitation, is that I'm planning on buying a new winter car next year, that will take a different sized wheel/tire.

Options:

Another cheap set of stock wheels and snow tires and resell the mounted set next fall

A new set of snow tires in my current size, install them on my current wheels, then take them off in the spring and reinstall my all seasons, and sell the snows next winter

Sell my current wheel/tire package. Buy some 17" charger wheels and new snows, try to sell the new snows next fall, buy new street tires in the spring to leave on.

Anything else?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/30/22 1:07 p.m.

Buy snows that will fit the planet express. Take planet express rallycrossing if the snows dont fit new winter beater.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/30/22 4:25 p.m.

Cheap set of stock wheels with new snows. There should be enough of a market in snow country to sell them off later.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/30/22 5:22 p.m.

I can buy snows for $103.09 from Wallyworld. $129.00 from DiscountTire. It is definitely a jump up in price going to a 16" or 17" wheel.

Found a set of 5 cherokee wheels for $125. Factoring in mounting costs should cover dismounting/remounting my all seasons. Maybe I can sell that extra wheel too.

Laufenn Ifit Ice from Wall-2-wall Mart look like the best deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OT1FeD38U6TbR1ApScNfeHe94Nl3Xm76MJK36PaKgOazIJ61Tel83fRM86atB8Ha