phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
4/9/13 12:54 a.m.

Considering a different DD. For once in a while I'm considering used. No new cars pique my interest.

Keep coming back to two previous vehicles from my stable.

Land Rover Disco II and '73 Merc 220.

Funny, because these were the most problematic vehicles I had owned. Disco for reliability and Merc for guts (lack thereof).

Why?

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
4/9/13 1:13 a.m.

Buy both, put them together into one glorious example of "why the berk" and "never again."

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
4/9/13 7:05 a.m.

you're coming here to be talked out of buying a car ????? are you sure about which forum you're on ????

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/9/13 7:35 a.m.

Why not buy a W123 turbodiesel and add some guts?

cdowd
cdowd Reader
4/9/13 8:20 a.m.

I of think this site if the definition of insanity.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Chris

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
4/9/13 8:23 a.m.

Are you sure you don't really want a 70's era Fiat too?

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
4/9/13 8:39 a.m.

To really convince yourself to never do this again, I think you need to buy both and swap in the diesel into the Land Rover. You would end-up with the most hatefully unreliable and slow vehicle ever conceived by man. That should cure you.

Unless you decide than to put the Rover V8 into the Merc, which could be an interesting mix....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
4/9/13 8:52 a.m.

Find a Disco I and I'd be in favor of it. Bonus points if you can track down an early gray market one with a manual. Double bonus if you can find a Camel Trophy one.
I'm searching for a similar Benz, so I'm more likely to try and buy one from you than try and tell you out of it.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
4/9/13 11:02 a.m.

Maybe if I put the Disco wiring harness into the Merc???

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
4/9/13 10:53 p.m.

BiTurbo!!!

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
4/9/13 11:52 p.m.

Hmm, maybe find a 300GD?

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/10/13 7:54 a.m.
cdowd wrote: I of think this site if the definition of insanity. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein Chris

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M03INMKGtcnNbm4kCJ4zJmVFhGg6XDUx1a0I7vU9NyMn18Hs3bIEACv4E4GtCqxt